All things minitransat.

troll99

Anarchist
A Manuard. Nice placement of the solar panels.

281187795_302004485424084_2800913250595639032_n.jpg

tane

Anarchist
they will get very hot, lose output because of that  & heat the boat up quite a bit. First hand experience!

huey 2

Super Anarchist
syd
MINI 6.50. Pierre Le Roy (Teamwork) won this Friday in proto on the Mini in May, Hugues de Prémare (Pequod) in series. image.png

huey 2

Super Anarchist
syd

• twitter.png

• youtube.png

• facebook.png

YouTube Terms of Service

WELCOME TO THE

MINI CLASS

Member area

MARIE-AGNES PERON TROPHY 2022

​

image.php

Douarnenez - Iroise Sea - Southern Brittany - Douarnenez

Organiser:  Winches Club
Race director:  
Site:   map.winchesclub.org
Telephone:  +33 (0)2 98 74 38 05
E-mail:   Contact by email
Maximum number of participants:   84
Date and time of departure:   02/06/ 2022 - 12:00 p.m.
Category:   C
OSR category:   3
Type of crew:   solo
Total number of miles:  220
With stage of +500 miles:   No
Classification coefficient:   1.5
Date of announcement of results:   06/04/2022
Notice of race FR:   20220201-avisMAP.pdf

huey 2

Super Anarchist
syd
JUNE 2

220 miles

MARIE-AGNES PERON TROPHY 2022

Douarnenez - Iroise Sea - Southern Brittany - Douarnenez

Register

JUNE 12

600 miles

MINI FASTNET 2022

Register

JUNE 25

270 miles

CALVADOS CUP 2022 - RACE 1

Douarnenez - Deauville

Register

JUNE 30

300 miles

CALVADOS CUP 2022 - RACE 2

Deauville - Deauville

Register

JULY 4

190 miles

CALVADOS CUP 2022 - RACE 3

Deauville-Roscoff

Register

JULY 19

2600 miles

LES SABLES - LES ACORES - LES SABLES 2022

Les Sables d'Olonne - Horta (Azores) - Les Sables d'Olonne

Register

AUGUST 26

500 miles

MARE NOSTRUM 2022

Garraf (Spain) - Balearic Islands - Garraf

Register

SEPTEMBER 8

300 miles

DUO CONCARNEAU 2022

Start and finish in Concarneau
Race area: Iroise Sea and South Brittany

Register

SEPTEMBER 9

222 miles

222 MINI SOLO 2022

Genoa (Ita) - Bergeggi - ODAS Italia buoy - Tino - Gallinara - Genoa

Register

SEPTEMBER 15

300 miles

MINI BARCELONA 2022

Departure and arrival in Barcelona (Spain)

Last edited by a moderator:

huey 2

Super Anarchist
syd
What have they become? Sebastian Magnen

Apprentice naval architect, conveyor, preparer… before tackling the Mini Transat, Sébastien Magnen had already lived several professional lives. He started in 1996, drawing and designing the famous Karen Liquid, a prototype with a telescopic and canting keel, whose hull and deck were built at JTA and then finished by him in the company of Karen Leibovici and Jack Michal. A boat which will even be exhibited at the Boat Show once the first victory has been won in 1997. It is on this same sailboat, improved and renamed Team Jeanneau-Voile Magazine that he wins again two years later.

Sébastien Magnen, now master sailmaker at Hennebont, was above all an architect to whom we owe the Mach 6.50, one of the first modern one-design chines. | PHOTO @ DOMINIC BOURGEOIS

Show slideshow

Dominique BourgeoisPublished on09/11/2015 at 08:59

Subscribe

Voilesetvoiliers.com: Sébastien, what have you become since your victory?

SM: When I returned from my first victory, I set up again as a naval architect! But it didn't work... And I continued to race: Mini-Fastnet, Estivale Mini... To prepare for the next Mini, I went back to Jeanneau in 1999 to completely rebuild the boat with new unsinkables, daggerboards, mast , inertia ballast, padding system. I redid a “real” boat, a super Mini!

There are repeat offenders, guys who have done it four times, but none of the winners have come back – they're all going to do Figaro!

After the second victory, I set up again as a naval architect and, this time, it worked: I designed four Minis with Bernard Nivelt (for Yannick Bestaven, winner in 2001 and Arnaud Boissière, 3rd). Thanks to Philippe Facque, I was able to share my time with the CDK Technologies design office in Port-la-Forêt, alongside Hubert Desjoyeaux. I also designed with my cousin, Xavier Faÿ, a 72-foot Wally-style fast cruiser for one owner, built in Turkey in 2001. And designed the Mach 6.50 in 2004, a small production one-design with upgradeable chines, made by JPS Productions at La Trinité.

MjAxNTA5ZTVkY2M0ZTJjNTY5ZDZjOTFjYTI5Y2NmZTdhNTJlNjQ

Designed and designed by her skipper, Karen Liquid has twice won the Mini Transat with Sébastien Magnen | PHOTO @ THIERRY MARTINEZ / SEA&CO
Then I started working for Canadians who wanted production sailboats, and first for the Mini. Then I left France to go sailing in Patagonia on my father's boat, a Sun Magic 44, a super Andrieu plan with exceptional seaworthiness even in the rotten corners of Tierra del Fuego. But that didn't stop me from drawing since I was then working 90% for foreigners: Canadians, English, Spaniards, Germans. With the Sun Magic, I also did charter, a photo expedition in Antarctica, trips with friends... But as the boat was in poor condition, I went back to Buenos Aires to completely redo it: I lived in Argentina for a year. I really got attached to South America.

In 2009 I go back to Patagonia after a stay in France. I still had naval architecture projects, but they were "crazy" plans so I gave up... I did expeditions again until the summer of 2010 when I settled in Locmiquélic after having brought the Sun Magic back via the Azores and Ireland, passing through Bordeaux to see the school that followed me during my Patagonian journeys: it was great to see the kids on board... And I sold the boat.

I then thought of opening a small restaurant, and I first made ready meals that I delivered at home. I created "Clandestino" because it was too complicated to make a restaurant to European standards... But, after three months, I hadn't made a profit! It was a great experience, a real meeting place between people from different backgrounds.

Architect, skipper, conveyor, preparer, restorer... today master sailmaker. Sebastien Magnen has known many professional lives. | PHOTO @ DR
Since July 2012, I have become a sailboat. I do maintenance and repair, sometimes designing small sails. The "Voilerie Rouge" is installed in Hennebont. It is an activity that works almost all year round and does not require too much investment. I also make canvases for the terraces, like in Groix for the bar “Les Garçons du Port”: a canvas supported by classic rigging masts with reefing points! This requires doing 3D modeling: it's fun to do... It's great to change jobs regularly: naval architect, preparer, conveyor, charter skipper, cook, sailboat...

As for Karen Liquid, he took part in all the deckchairs except that of 2003: with Karen Leibovici in 2001 (9th), with Adrien Hardy in 2005 (5th) and 2007 (6th), with Sébastien Picault in 2009 (19th), 2011 (12th) and 2013 (retirement). He still has a nice track record!

Voilesetvoiliers.com: What is your greatest memory of the Mini Transat?

SM: Karen Liquid was all carbon, but I managed to cut costs everywhere. There were some good ideas, but also some bad ones: he wasn't making headway! The recovered daggerboard was too small, so very forward and I had no ballast: there must be no chop... If the 1997 Mini had run upwind for the first leg, I would have taken a plate!

Sébastien Magnen inside Karen Liquid during the stopover in Tenerife of his victorious Mini in 1997 | PHOTO @ SEA & CO / TH. MARTINEZ
I win the first stage not the second that I finish third. Because there was downwind going to Tenerife, but upwind with heavy seas to finish in the West Indies! I had enough of a lead in the first leg, because I had been more reasonable than Thomas Coville, Jean-François Pellet and Pierre-Marie Bourguinat who had taken on light spinnakers which exploded. And I was lucky too because my two spinnaker halyards broke, but the wind refused and I finished abeam, a pace where Karen Liquid was going very fast... You need a little help destiny on these races!

It was under jury rigging that Sébastien Magnen reached the end of the 1999 Mini Transat, which he nevertheless won. | PHOTO @ DPPI / BENOIT STICHELBAUT

Voilesetvoiliers.com: And in 1999 it was victory again!

SM: Yes, against Erwan Tabarly, Sébastien Josse, Lionel Lemonchois... But I was already a step ahead with Karen Liquid version 2 (renamed Team Jeanneau Voiles Magazine) and I felt better alone. I won the first leg again with a good lead – fortunately, because I dismasted in the second. In fact, we were eight in the top ten to finish dismasted! Some had just lost the masthead, I had broken six meters high. I set up a jury rig which still allowed me to surf at more than 10 knots... There were heavy trade winds with gust fronts at more than 30 knots and I was not cautious enough when I had already won the race four days from the finish.

Mini Transat 1997

Winner: Sebastian Magnen

Boat: Karen Liquid (Magnen plans)

Route: Brest / Tenerife / Fort de France: 4,000 miles,

Continuation race time: 31 days 14 h 10'

Mini Transat 1999

Winner: Sebastian Magnen

Boat: Team Jeanneau Voiles Magazine (Magnen plans)

Route: Concarneau / Puerto Calero / Sens River (Guadeloupe): 4,000 miles,

Continuation race time: 24 days 15 h 11'

huey 2

Super Anarchist
syd
INTERVIEW. The new Series Mini 6.50 explained by architect-skipper Sébastien Magnen

A new production mini 6.50 is about to see the light of day: the TM 650. Built by the Technologie Marine shipyard, in Saint-Philibert (Morbihan), this production scow which should be launched before the start du Printemps intends to compete with its competitors. Sébastien Magnen, naval architect and famous double winner of the Mini Transat (in 1997 and 1999) took part in the design. His word is rare, but he agreed to tell us more.

The TM 6.50 is under construction at Technologie Marine. | MARINE TECHNOLOGY

Show slideshow

Interview by Laurène COROLLER.Modified02/15/2022 at 10:56 a.m.Published on02/15/2022 at 07:01

Subscribe

Voiles et Voiliers: Sébastien, for a few years, you had left the world of naval architecture a little. Why come back here today?

Sébastien Magnen: Technologie Marine and Charlie Capelle contacted me to join the design team for this new mini series that they had begun to imagine. So I joined the team which is made up of Benoît Cabaret, naval architect, from the shipyard's design office which includes Tanguy Aulanier and Augustin Doumic, two ministers, Charlie Capelle, shipyard boss, and Gaël Ledoux, also minister and who won the last Mini-Fastnet.

It's been a while since we know that scows work very well, moreover the hulls have been declined in Class40 and IMOCA

VV: Can you explain to us the outline of this new mini-series?

SM: First it's a scow. Which isn't great news since it's the hulls that are working today. I had designed one about ten years ago but it was never built. We've known for a while now that the scows work very well, moreover the hulls have been available in Class40 and IMOCA.

We left on a small series boat because we think that the series will be renewed more than before, with a faster obsolescence of the boats. So we preferred to say that it would be built in 20 or 30 copies maximum rather than 100. This allows us to put a little more care in the construction and to optimize it.

In terms of her hull, we tried not to be too extreme in order to maintain ease in light airs. This is the problem with these hulls which have a lot of wet surface. It risks sticking the boat in light airs. We tried to make a compromise between the two and therefore to have a boat which, in light airs, does not have too much wet surface and which gains power as the wind picks up and the boat heels.

ADVERTISING

MjAyMjAyZmQ1OTdhZTdjMDVjNWI4OTdkZmM1ZjE1NDM1YjNhYmE

A first glimpse of this new Mini Series which is less radical than its competitors. | JEANNICK ORIOT

What we lose a bit in light winds, we gain as soon as the wind picks up

VV: The Maxi 6.50, mini series designed by David Raison and built by IDB Marine is doing very well, both commercially and in terms of its results. Is there room for a new series scow?

SM: Of course. The error would be not to make one in our opinion. From the moment we can tow the power with a sail surface, it's very interesting to do a scow. We realize that what we lose a bit in light winds, we gain as soon as the wind picks up. But neither should you make a shovel that would get stuck in light airs.

There is no longer any doubt: the scows are more efficient

MjAyMjAyM2Q0ZThkZDQzZWVlYjZjZjI5NjZkMzMzNDM4MGJhNDM

Construction of the TM 6.50. | JEANNICK ORIOT
VV: You followed the last Mini Transat. Did this edition confirm your choices?

SM: Indeed, we looked at it carefully. The hull was already designed but we still had a few options to choose from in terms of rigging. Since David Raison drew his first scow (n° 747), I have been watching carefully what the "round noses" do in mini because there were doubts about their performance. Now there are none left. They are faster, period.

VV: The Vector (series scow signed Étienne Bertrand) seems a bit struggling compared to the Maxi. What are the reasons according to you?

SM: The first reason is actually statistical. When there are twenty Maxis and two Vectors on the starting line, inevitably the Maxi has ten times more chances of winning. Assuming that there are five Maxis in the South, five in the North and ten in the middle, there is bound to be one that will do well. If the Vector was faster 95% of the time, it suffices that 'there is 5% of the time when it finds itself slower for all the Maxis to pass in front. It's more difficult to win when there are few boats in your series on the starting line.

We hope to have integrated a few little extra things that will make it faster

VV: When you designed Karen Liquide in 1997 (proto No. 198), you were ten years ahead of what was being done at the time. Despite the fact that the TM 650 is a series, can we expect to see some innovations on this future boat?

SM: It's a mini series so there's obviously a little less room for innovation. The gauge is nevertheless well closed so that one does not delirious too much and that one remains in reasonable costs. We nevertheless hope to have brought our little stone to the building and advanced the architecture of the mini series with this boat. Now we face intelligent competition. We don't know if our boat is going to be better than the others, we'll see. But we hope to have integrated a few little extra things that will make it faster.

SEE AS WELL :

What have they become ? Sebastien Magnen

MjAyMjAyODk0MjlkMzBhMmM3YWIzZDNlOTRhZjc4ZjA2YmJhYTU

About thirty TM 6.50 should be built. | MARINE TECHNOLOGY
VV: You have designed several production minis and prototypes. The way of designing one and the other must be quite different?

SM: Yes, it's quite different. In series, the range of innovation and the possibilities of evolution are lower. We advance more by small steps. That's the big difference. We're trying to gain a little on all fronts, whereas in the prototype, we're more likely to try to review the general concept and make great strides.

Afterwards, it could be a fishing boat, a cruising catamaran… The architect's role is to meet specifications and that's what's so exciting about this job.

VV: The TM 650 has a base price of 68,000 euros excluding taxes, which places you above the other series on the market. Is this price justified by the number of units produced, which will be lower than your competitors?

SM: Everything increases my good lady (laughs). You have to ask the builder for that, but in fact we tried to make a fairly polished boat and that came at a cost.

LeoV

Super Anarchist
The Netherlands
So will these essentially render the rest of the series fleet obsolete?
Nice to read what the mystery guy Magnen did after he disappeared from the scene. Kmew he went of to South America.
His serie mini design for the Canadian was very nice executed. Talked to the guy funding that project way back. A pity for some reason it stalled in production.

With the low production numbers, this design is not making the others obsolete. Market needs more. Raison is a hell of a designer to compete with.