America’s Cup To Visit Newport, RI

Stingray

Super Anarchist
PNW
Deserves high visibility, thread - hope some folks get the chance to attend.

--

AC-Vistis-Newport-RI.jpg

Contd:

BOR-Release-RI.pdf

At BOR

Providence Journal

Rumor at here: "We are told they will be at the White House on the 29th of June," said Keith Stokes.

Attachments

• BOR-Release-RI.pdf
    30.7 KB · Views: 24
Last edited by a moderator:

Te Kooti

Super Anarchist
"We are told they will be at the White House on the 29th of June," said Keith Stokes.

Let us hope this British Petroleum oil catastrophe in the Gulf of Mexico is resolved by then.

Because, right now, the President has his hands full with many problems created by other people.

Stingray

Super Anarchist
PNW
So do ya think I can get an invite to Larry's new House on Bellvue ???
Dunno either. But me? I would aim for the Cup celebration.

They do an excellent show, it is even for free. There must have been 3,000 in Anacortes that brisk spring night... and it rocked. TE is emceeing, definitely get down there if you can.

"We are told they will be at the White House on the 29th of June," said Keith Stokes.

Let us hope this British Petroleum oil catastrophe in the Gulf of Mexico is resolved by then.

Because, right now, the President has his hands full with many problems created by other people.
Can't resist some political commentary (sorry, I know it belongs in PA but here you go anyway): what the HELL is The Prez actually doing about the oil spill? He looks like a joke trying to command people around. Fact is, there is pretty much nothing he can do except appoint a commission, fire up the Justice Department and write checks on borrowed money.

FWIW I do hope the BOR team and The Cup visit the White House. I'm not keeping score but it seems like lots of other sports champions are visiting recently. Why not the top of the world in sailing?

Stingray

Super Anarchist
PNW

Can't resist some political commentary (sorry, I know it belongs in PA but here you go anyway): what the HELL is The Prez actually doing about the oil spill? He looks like a joke trying to command people around. Fact is, there is pretty much nothing he can do except appoint a commission, fire up the Justice Department and write checks on borrowed money.

FWIW I do hope the BOR team and The Cup visit the White House. I'm not keeping score but it seems like lots of other sports champions are visiting recently. Why not the top of the world in sailing?
This event has the chance to be a nice time on the Prez's calendar. He is from humble origins but I hope he enjoys it for the cool things about it; his reaction will be interesting.

atwinda

Anarchist
would be a shit ton better if they had this during melges 24 nationals.. IE 24 - 26.... most people will be on a plane outta there before the cup shows up.

MR.CLEAN

Not here
The only thing interesting about that ugly old cup is that ALINGHI is engraved in font that's twice as big as anyone else on it. BMW should scrape that shit off and replace it with the same word in half the size of the rest.

Te Kooti

Super Anarchist
This event has the chance to be a nice time on the Prez's calendar. He is from humble origins but I hope he enjoys it for the cool things about it; his reaction will be interesting.
I think Obama understands team building and will greatly appreciate what it took to win the auld mug.

He is a former community organizer from Chicago who well understands the difficulties of getting people to work together.

It is so much better to haul the silverware into an Obama White House.

Imagine if that other prick was still there?

Stingray

Super Anarchist
PNW
update

--

NEWPORT, R.I. – With only two weeks before the BMW/Oracle Racing Team descends on Newport with the America's Cup trophy in hand, plans continue to evolve to showcase the state's eagerness to bring the race back to Rhode Island Sound for the first time since 1983. Speaking before the City Council on Wednesday, Sail Newport executive director Brad Read revealed new details on what visitors to the city can expect during the July 1 visit.

In addition to a previously announced luncheon at Fort Adams, Read said that the planning committee is in the process of planning a harbor parade, as well as a public viewing at Bannister's Wharf.

"Newport is synonymous with the America's Cup," Read said, adding that there's plenty of work to do before the big day.

When it arrives, it will be just the second time the Auld Mug will be back in Newport since the U.S. lost the race in 1983.

--

tr1plet

I just bought two tickets today for the Sail Newport lunch and Cup presentation. I have my last day of work on the 29th of June and will be spending most of the summer sailing in Newport, so this will be a great start. I'll try to take some pictures and post them here.

Stingray

Super Anarchist
PNW
going to white house also
Thanks - I can't remember if they made an official announcement on the WH visit yet (they did for the Newport event) but yes, you and others are saying it is definitely happening. And over in the Multihull forum someone posted that JS is missing an event (A Class, Holland maybe?) due to the WH appointment. My guess is that LE will also attend; although it's probably not his first time in the WH, I would suppose.

I wonder how many times the Cup has been inside? Just the one time, with Reagan in '87?

Btw, there is some quite light and interesting history at the new AC site under Feature Stories

http://www.americasc...he-americascup/

Nitpicking here, but also in Features and under THE AMERICA'S CUP TROPHY it says:

The trophy was made by the London company, Garrard, the world's oldest jeweler. It has been a royal jeweler since 1735. Garrard has served six successive Monarchs of the United Kingdom since 1843 from Queen Victoria onwards.

It is also linked to some of the world's most famous gemstones including the Koh-I-Noor, Star & Africa and Poltimore Tiara.

That gemstone is the Star of Africa, right? No biggy, just wondered if there really is a 'Star & Africa' too, and if it is a diamond.

Stingray

Super Anarchist
PNW
more detail

--

Event Details Announced for America’s Cup Trophy Celebration in Newport

June 23, 2010

Whether it’s getting an up-close look at the oldest trophy in international sport, savoring a parade of majestic racing yachts, attending lunch with some of the top names in sailing or viewing a presentation by the winning America’s Cup team at historic Fort Adams, visitors are guaranteed an unforgettable experience in Newport next week.

BMW ORACLE Racing, winner in February of the 33rd America’s Cup, will return to Newport on Thursday, July 1, 2010 as part of its U.S. victory tour. The return to Rhode Island of one of the world’s most prized sporting trophies will be a true homecoming. Rhode Island was host to 12 of the 33 America’s Cup regattas from 1930 to 1983, and is home to the America’s Cup Hall of Fame.

“I encourage everyone to come out to Newport to welcome the America’s Cup trophy home, and show BMW ORACLE Racing that Rhode Island is the perfect location for the next America’s Cup race,” said Governor Donald L. Carcieri.

“Rhode Island is thrilled to welcome visitors from across New England and the world to help celebrate BMW ORACLE Racing’s spectacular victory. Newport promises to offer sailing enthusiasts and the general public alike an experience they will cherish for a lifetime,” said Keith Stokes, Executive Director of the Rhode Island Economic Development Corporation. “This state has a rich sailing heritage and a deep tradition of America’s Cup racing. Nowhere else can that be experienced like it is here. The past, present and future of one of the world’s most prestigious sporting events will come together in Newport on July 1, and Rhode Island is honored to be the host.”

The America’s Cup trophy will be available during four public showings between downtown Newport and Fort Adams State Park throughout the day. Viewing is free of charge. Parking will be available at the Newport Gateway Transportation and Visitors Center, where water taxis will be available to take visitors to Fort Adams.

The event schedule is as follows:

9:30 a.m. – 10:45 a.m.: BMW ORACLE Racing will unveil the America's Cup trophy at Bannister's Wharf for its first public viewing of the day.

11 a.m. – 11:45 a.m.: A fleet of former America’s Cup racing yachts will parade through Newport Harbor and make their way to Fort Adams State Park.

11 a.m. – 12:45 a.m.: The America’s Cup trophy will be on public display at Fort Adams.

Noon – 2:00 p.m.: BMW ORACLE Racing will give a multimedia presentation as part of a “Cup Victory Tour Luncheon” on the North Lawn of Fort Adams. The Herbert C. Pell Cup Trophy, traditionally awarded to the America’s Cup challengers, will be presented to BMW ORACLE Racing at that time.

Tickets for the luncheon are available to the public for $50.00 each or $1,000 per sponsored table of ten. They can be purchased at www.sailnewport.org. Space is limited to 400 people. This event will sell out. Proceeds will benefit Sail Newport, Rhode Island’s non-profit, public sailing center.

2 p.m. – 3 p.m.: The America’s Cup trophy will be on public display at Fort Adams.

3 p.m. – 4 p.m.: BMW ORACLE Racing will give a special presentation to junior sailors from around Narragansett Bay.

4 p.m. – 6 p.m.: - The America’s Cup trophy will be on public display at Fort Adams.

For updates on event-day festivities, please visit www.riedc.com.

“BMW ORACLE Racing’s Cup Tour in Newport will re-introduce thousands of Rhode Islanders to the America’s Cup. More importantly, we will showcase the America’s Cup to the next generation of sailors, the youth sailing community of Narragansett Bay,” said Brad Read, Executive Director of Sail Newport. “Sailing is a life sport. We are eager to further promote our message that anyone can learn to sail, no matter what age.”

In April, Governor Carcieri, House Speaker Gordon Fox, and Senate President M. Teresa Paiva Weed announced the creation of the America’s Cup Rhode Island Planning Committee. The Committee, chaired by RIEDC Executive Director Keith Stokes, is responsible for developing a proposal for Rhode Island to host the next America’s Cup.

The Committee serves as the principal entity for the state's coordinated effort to bring the America's Cup races back to Rhode Island. The Committee will develop an infrastructure and capacity assessment that will further enhance Narragansett Bay’s world-renowned marine industry and serve as the basis for a proposal to BMW ORACLE Racing and the America's Cup Organizing Committee.

The America’s Cup, first contested in 1851, currently resides at the Golden Gate Yacht Club in San Francisco, the home club of BMW ORACLE Racing. Only two other American yacht clubs have held the trophy – New York Yacht Club and San Diego Yacht Club. SDYC lost the Cup to Team New Zealand in 1995, the last time the America’s Cup was held in the United States. In 2003, the Swiss-based Team Alinghi won the Cup from New Zealand. On February 14, 2010, off Valencia, Spain, BMW ORACLE Racing defeated the Team Alinghi 2-0.

“The Pell family is extremely pleased to present the Pell Trophy, in conjunction with the Ida Lewis Yacht Club, to Team BMW ORACLE Racing in recognition of their historic achievement. It is the oldest post-World War II trophy awarded to the America’s Cup challengers,” said Toby Pell. “My father and grandfather began the tradition, and they would have been delighted to see the Pell Trophy presented in Newport to a winning American team.”

--

Te Kooti

Super Anarchist
more detail

--

Event Details Announced for America's Cup Trophy Celebration in Newport

June 23, 2010

"Rhode Island is thrilled to welcome visitors from across New England and the world to help celebrate BMW ORACLE Racing's spectacular victory. Newport promises to offer sailing enthusiasts and the general public alike an experience they will cherish for a lifetime," said Keith Stokes, Executive Director of the Rhode Island Economic Development Corporation. "This state has a rich sailing heritage and a deep tradition of America's Cup racing. Nowhere else can that be experienced like it is here. The past, present and future of one of the world's most prestigious sporting events will come together in Newport on July 1, and Rhode Island is honored to be the host."
Do P.R. people realize over-the-top BS like the above weakens their case?

I would say Auckland is a good place to "experience" the AC.

Oh well!

Let us hope BOR have some fun in Newport.

But, as for them hosting, no mate!

132 years was enough.

Approximately 131 years too many!

Stingray

Super Anarchist
PNW
Some fresh photos here, of the Cup being engraved.

http://americascupme...FolioID=23&co=1

Title: Cup engraving
spacer.gif
Ref.: rsellers_100623_acd-35.jpg
spacer.gif
Date: 22 June 2010
spacer.gif
Author: Ron Sellers
spacer.gif
Description: 14/06/2010 - San Francisco (USA,CA) - 33rd America's Cup - 2010 match result engraved on the America's Cup Trophy at Biro & Sons

CupEngrave.JPG

The Cup must surely be leading the procession towards the invitation to the White House.

I hope we get a photo or two of the ceremony. Perhaps for security reasons, there is no mention of today's schedule at whitehouse.gov so far.