America as Cup venue?

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
During the three-month exclusive negotiating period between New Zealand agencies and ETNZ, they have not been able to reach a conclusion that works for all parties. All three parties have worked through these discussions with the best of intentions to see the AC37 hosted in Auckland, and they have not been able to reach agreement by the expiration of the exclusive period.

Emirates Team New Zealand will now commence discussions with other nations to look into options regarding hosting AC37 events.
Laugh/cry. They were negotiating with Cork in Ireland this past weekend and documents leaked a ways back talked about them having solicited bids from other venues starting since months ago.

But whatever.. 

Terry Hollis

Super Anarchist
Is 'whilst' a normal word in NZ, instead of (normal to me) 'while'? 
Whilst has always been a word to me as an 84 years NZ born.

from .. https://www.grammarly.com/blog/while-vs-whilst/

"Whilst vs. While—Which Is Correct?

Marko Ticak

GRAMMAR

Whilst and while are two words with identical meanings—usually. But you can’t always use whilst instead of while.

Typically, Brits use whilst and Americans use while. That’s the main difference. When used as a conjunction or an adverb, while and whilst are interchangeable:

There wasn’t much Stanley could do while he waited.

There wasn’t much Stanley could do whilst he waited.

While Danny was sleeping in, his little brother swiped his cell phone.

Whilst Danny was sleeping in, his little brother swiped his cell phone."

dogwatch

Super Anarchist
South Coast, UK
Whilst has always been a word to me as an 84 years NZ born.

from .. https://www.grammarly.com/blog/while-vs-whilst/

"Whilst vs. While—Which Is Correct?

Marko Ticak

GRAMMAR

Whilst and while are two words with identical meanings—usually. But you can’t always use whilst instead of while.

Typically, Brits use whilst and Americans use while. That’s the main difference. When used as a conjunction or an adverb, while and whilst are interchangeable:

There wasn’t much Stanley could do while he waited.

There wasn’t much Stanley could do whilst he waited.

While Danny was sleeping in, his little brother swiped his cell phone.

Whilst Danny was sleeping in, his little brother swiped his cell phone."
I can't agree that either of those "whilst" sentences are realistic modern British-English usage. Whatever the WWW might tell you, it isn't used here today in relation to time. "Whilst" is however used to contrast options or ideas, which is how it is used by Aaron Young: “Whilst we also remain hopeful that the cup can stay in New Zealand....." 

Last edited by a moderator:

accnick

Super Anarchist
I can't agree that either of those "whilst" sentences are realistic modern British-English usage. Whatever the WWW might tell you, it isn't used here today in relation to time. "Whilst" is however used to contrast options or ideas, which is how it is used by Aaron Young: “Whilst we also remain hopeful that the cup can stay in New Zealand....." 
The AC 75 Class Rule uses both "whilst" and "while" in exactly the same time-related sense, which sort of reflects the split personality of the terms in the modern English-speaking world.  The English native speakers I work with from the UK, AUS, and NZ all use "whilst' universally, which can seem quaint to me as a US native English speaker. 

We all manage to understand each other, however, despite the fact--as George Bernard Shaw supposedly said--that the US and UK are two nations separated by a common language.

dogwatch

Super Anarchist
South Coast, UK
^

True, it is used that way in the AC 75 class rule. My remark was in response to the claim that modern British English usage of "whilst" includes the time-sense. I wonder who authored the class rule? I'd still assert that particular usage is rarer than rocking-horse shit in contemporary British English. I wouldn't claim to know about Kiwi English. 

Meat Wad

Super Anarchist
How about Hawaii, there are some (small areas) protected waters. Damn, lets see some boats racing out of Perth and the DR. blowing. 

DC wanted this after '87, but I think the SDYC didn't. Wasn't there some shit about Larry owning an island there and having it after SF instead of Bermuda?
I was just thinking about this and I bet the issue might be the Whales. The Humpback love Hawaiian waters. Imagine hitting a whale with your foil at 50KPH

wristwister

Super Anarchist
The Salish Sea
Anywhere where there is good consistent breeze.
Disagree. Pick a spot where the winds and waves are flukey as hell, and set a course where obstacles and currents need to be negotiated. The PNW in April or November comes to mind. Then open up the box rules. Want to bring your lightweight, solid sail, foiling marvel? Great, lets see how she does in 6' seas with howling winds! Maybe something a bit beefier to handle any conditions? Have fun when the wind dies to a whisper and the currents have their way with you. Now THAT would be an interesting AC! 

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
I was just thinking about this and I bet the issue might be the Whales. The Humpback love Hawaiian waters. Imagine hitting a whale with your foil at 50KPH
The whales are seasonal and Guage Roads (it it?), the waters west of Maui make for terrific sailing, especially closer to (LE’s) Lanai. I’ve sailed a 12M there, forget what exactly the boat was. 

NeedAClew

Super Anarchist
USA
Killing marine mammals not popular in Hawaii. Didn't they slaughter some in SF AC and just now SGP killed a dolphin in Italy?

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
Killing marine mammals not popular in Hawaii. Didn't they slaughter some in SF AC and just now SGP killed a dolphin in Italy?
Don’t remember any marine life getting hit in SF Bay but they did postpone racing at some point when a whale was spotted near Sausalito. 

The mark on USA’s rudder in Taranto makes me think they hit something harder than a dolphin but who knows? There are a lot of dolphin pods there and at foiling speeds… Yikes!

pusslicker

Super Anarchist
Paris
Just need the navy to blast their sonar and they will hang out on the beach during the race.

NeedAClew

Super Anarchist
USA
Don’t remember any marine life getting hit in SF Bay but they did postpone racing at some point when a whale was spotted near Sausalito. 

The mark on USA’s rudder in Taranto makes me think they hit something harder than a dolphin but who knows? There are a lot of dolphin pods there and at foiling speeds… Yikes!
Yikes for the animals too.  

JALhazmat

Super Anarchist
Southampton
OneWorldSailing said:
Then you have either not lived there or perhaps visited at the right time.

The AC idiots are the biggest hypocrites around. Depending on what iteration of their flying circus, they have wanted a venue with no wind or one where there is enough to blow trees over.

It is way past time for a group of people to stand up and create a true international sailing competition. Let the boy toys and their sugar daddy's keep the ole mug and beat what's of left of it ten feet under..

There is no reason for this farce, other than financial enrichment for a few privileged few.

None of this is rocket science. Making a similar competition a spectacle for hundreds of thousands of in-person viewers and a legion of TV viewers is actually very simple.
my guess is you are just waiting for that call from the AC event Authority to explain how its done..

dg_sailingfan

Super Anarchist
Augsburg
Hearing that the so-called potential Cowes AC37 isn't Cowes alone.

It's apparently a Joint Initiative between Portsmouth & Southampton, the two biggest Cities on the British South Coast.