America as Cup venue?

JALhazmat

Super Anarchist
Southampton
did Magnus whisper that to you last night as he tucked you into bed..

given the INEOS base is in Portsmouth, Sail GP has run from Southampton and Cowes isn't awash with space its not rocket science to think that bases may be spread between the three especially as they all have access to the same bit of water.

who ever you 'heard' that from? it isn't especially insightful

dg_sailingfan

Super Anarchist
Augsburg
Valencia is in the mix to host AC37

yandy319339.jpg

https://www.sail-world.com/news/238701/Valencia-in-this-mix-to-host-37th-Americas-Cup

EYESAILOR

Super Anarchist
OneWorldSailing said:
Then you have either not lived there or perhaps visited at the right time.

The AC idiots are the biggest hypocrites around. Depending on what iteration of their flying circus, they have wanted a venue with no wind or one where there is enough to blow trees over.

It is way past time for a group of people to stand up and create a true international sailing competition. Let the boy toys and their sugar daddy's keep the ole mug and beat what's of left of it ten feet under..

There is no reason for this farce, other than financial enrichment for a few privileged few.

None of this is rocket science. Making a similar competition a spectacle for hundreds of thousands of in-person viewers and a legion of TV viewers is actually very simple.
Well Sail GP is trying to do just that. They have substantial funds.  But its not so easy.

Alan H

Super Anarchist
SF Bay Area
At this point I think it would be great if nobody wanted the AC, and the best they could do was rent some space in Chile, or something. Over and over again, the AC loses money for the venue. How many times does it have to happen before reality sinks in?

Why cities/states/ countries pony up a dime for this show any more is beyond me. The NZ government offers 100 million bucks and that's not good enough?  What's wrong with this picture?

Forourselves

Super Anarchist
New Zealand
At this point I think it would be great if nobody wanted the AC, and the best they could do was rent some space in Chile, or something. Over and over again, the AC loses money for the venue. How many times does it have to happen before reality sinks in?

Why cities/states/ countries pony up a dime for this show any more is beyond me. The NZ government offers 100 million bucks and that's not good enough?  What's wrong with this picture?
$100 million is peanuts compared to most other sports events bids.

Alan H

Super Anarchist
SF Bay Area
It loses money for the venue.  San Francisco is STILL paying off debts. Since when is some municipal organization obligated to spend taxpayer money to support private sports?  MAYBE if that sport brings enough business and revenue to the locality, then maybe it's worth it.  Maybe. But the AC has never done that, and  unless something really fundamental changes, it never will. 

AC 34, 11.5 million dollars for the city and Port of San Francisco

https://www.yachtingmagazine.com/ac34-cost-san-francisco-115-million/

It was touted as this huge investment in the waterfront.... Investment, my ass.

https://sfmayor.org/34th-americas-cup

Nothing happened, the docks at all the  city marinas are still falling apart.  The City took over the reasonably profitable South Beach Harbor and they're milking it dry and not doing maintenance.  The docks at Fort Mason/Gashouse Cove are flat-out dangerous and an embarrassment.

Now, eight years later, 100 million dollars isn't enough?  No, Grant and TNZ want Two Hundred Million Dollars. That is TWENTY TIMES what San Francisco coughed up for AC 34.

Has everybody forgotten? It's a SAILBOAT RACE. Well, in fact it seems that New Zealands government hasn't entirely forgotten. I think it'd be great if every City, State and National government  in the world also remembered....it's a sailboat race and it LOSES MONEY.

Then maybe the whole thing might return to some semblance of reasonable, again.

yoyo

Anarchist
$100 million is peanuts compared to most other sports events bids.
So the AC is on par with sports that have massive worldwide TV viewership, worldwide team participation and worldwide corporate sponsorship money pouring in.  Good to know. 

NeedAClew

Super Anarchist
USA
With spectators coming in to fill already built hotel rooms and restaurants like the SuperBowl does, filling the post holiday slump in personal and business travel?  And played in already built stadiums or arenas or infrastructure? Uh, no. 

More like the Olympics. Do venues end up net positive for the money they spend? Before the pandemic? They get some buildings but is it worth it? 

Tornado-Cat

Super Anarchist
America's Cup: Valencia mayor cool on hosting bid with $20m hangover

"The event was important but had very high costs for the city. We are going to study it (the club’s proposed bid). If the balance is positive, it is okay, but if the balance has to cost us a lot, we will say no. I think it is an interesting bet. It is an interesting sport but, ultimately, the city of Valencia must evaluate."

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/americas-cup/125516573/americas-cup-valencia-mayor-cool-on-hosting-bid-with-20m-hangover

Last edited by a moderator:

zillafreak

Anarchist
Newport Beach
Valencia has to be a very serious contender. Infrastructure already in place from previous cups, and they have access to $750 billion euro fund to "restore tourism"

"The group behind Valencia's bid to host the 37th America's Cup believe they can access a €750 billion fund established by the European Union to assist member countries to recover from the economic effects of the COVID pandemic."

Rennmaus

Super Anarchist
Is it? I thought it had been redeveloped. Anyone know?
It's pretty desolate in the Darsena, but could be made look pretty again with a couple of million Dollars. 

Some bases are used for whatever, sailing accessory companies and others, the Veles et Vents is empty and used for sailing events (e.g. TP52), the train and 95 bus into the city are still there as well as the hotels. 

The pontoon is gone, and maybe one or two bases (can't remember) but this should be no biggie. 

Ot would still be a great venue. 

Zaal

Anarchist
Italy
https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/americas-cup/125516573/americas-cup-valencia-mayor-cool-on-hosting-bid-with-20m-hangover

Valencia was a great location, but the Major seems a little cautious about hosting again the AC.

My guess is still China, Shenzhen maybe. I think they are the only ones willing to host the Cup even in the event of low (or no) economic return. The "emerging countries" clause seems to point in that direction too. If China wanted to strongly encourage the national sailing movement (also with a view to the Olympics) hosting the America's Cup, perhaps even financing a challenger, it could work.

Rennmaus

Super Anarchist

Valencia was a great location, but the Major seems a little cautious about hosting again the AC.

My guess is still China, Shenzhen maybe. I think they are the only ones willing to host the Cup even in the event of low (or no) economic return. The "emerging countries" clause seems to point in that direction too. If China wanted to strongly encourage the national sailing movement (also with a view to the Olympics) hosting the America's Cup, perhaps even financing a challenger, it could work.
With all morals gone, it's a pity that Xinjiang has no coast. There should be a lot of cheap forced labor that can build the bases and other infrastructure. Well, ETNZ is short on cash, so they have to take the best offer, right? Survival and all.. 

Zaal

Anarchist
Italy
Spending a fortune on AC sailing is an upside-down approach to building Olympic skills.
That's true. I said that because in Italy right now there's a boom in sailing courses, people got interested in it watching Luna Rossa. Maybe it could happen there too. That's not the only (or the best) way to increase the sailing  movement, but it can help. We'll have to just wait and see, it's funny because GD acted like there were plenty of venues ready to make an auction to host the Cup, but this is not necessarily the case. 

dogwatch

Super Anarchist
South Coast, UK
That's interesting. I have to say I'm surprised, I'm not sure in general there is that much cross-over from watching stuff to actually doing it. But good that it has generated interest in sailing in Italy.

My prediction is that GD will be returning to take Auckland's cash with his tail between his legs. We shall see.

Latest posts