America as Cup venue?

Tornado-Cat

Super Anarchist

chesirecat

Super Anarchist
Shoebox on M'way
According to TE Valencia still owe 20 mil from the previous cup. He reckons Abu Dhabi, especially as Ineos sponsor F1.

Auckland (time zones aside) is a fabulous sailing area and spec friendly and I loved racing there, but then the Solent is amazing and an area I personally (not that that's relevant) prefer for all its complexities and diversity.

AD would have relatively boring conditions but good for the dosh.

Be great if Lorient would put a bid in! That would stir the pot for the teams.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
My dream venue, simply as a vacation destination, for AC37 would be somewhere in Sardinia. Cagliari could host a few teams, just as it was for the planned WS event there. The north end of the island has great sailing places too. 

If it goes to the Middle East I won’t bother going.

zillafreak

Anarchist
Newport Beach
The next AC will be in Auckland

Have you guys never been involved in negotiations before?
I dont know about that. The way they blew off the negotiations seems more like "we're done here" rather than a bargaining tactic. When $250 million or more may be in the cards from deep pockets elsewhere...

dogwatch

Super Anarchist
South Coast, UK
The next AC will be in Auckland

Have you guys never been involved in negotiations before?
I also think it will be in Auckland. However if GD comes back after failing to negotiate a better deal elsewhere, he'd better be ready to assume the posture. Don't be amazed if $100M is now $80M.

Horn Rock

Super Anarchist
Byron Bay
If the Cup is going to be offshore, I'd prefer it to be in a neutral venue, so not to advantage any of the Challengers, which would rule out Cowes. The Mid East is intriguing, but not without issues - human rights, misogyny, state sanctioned murder etc. You could argue engaging these States with a huge media presence might be positive and could lead to change? Equally, rewarding such "pariah" States with hosting the AC is not a good look.

JALhazmat

Super Anarchist
Southampton
I don’t see why GD would balk at any of the issues above, been happy being the white wash to a murky regime for years so why grow a conscience now? 

Liquid

NFLTG
Over there
OneWorldSailing said:
Then you have either not lived there or perhaps visited at the right time.

blah blah blah...

very simple.
Have you every been to a consistently windy location say like San Francisco?

Narragansett Bay is not known as a high wind location... Next you'll tell us LIS is a windy body of water!

'Very simple' - hahahahahahahaaaaa  

Get after it, sounds like an easy side hustle!

At this point I think it would be great if nobody wanted the AC, and the best they could do was rent some space in Chile, or something. Over and over again, the AC loses money for the venue. How many times does it have to happen before reality sinks in?

Why cities/states/ countries pony up a dime for this show any more is beyond me. The NZ government offers 100 million bucks and that's not good enough?  What's wrong with this picture?

One hand: The cup is too expensive, we need to make it a repeatable, viable 'investment'...

The other hand: But $100M isn't enough, oh and we're going to sail in waters of the highest bidder, we'll let you know when we know where that is.....

Has everybody forgotten? It's a SAILBOAT RACE. Well, in fact it seems that New Zealands government hasn't entirely forgotten. I think it'd be great if every City, State and National government  in the world also remembered....it's a sailboat race and it LOSES MONEY.
But SailGP is a successful, self sustaining, huge money maker............. 

and apparently a simple thing to do!

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
SailGP will be having its IPO soon.  Dogecoin preferred.
An article in Forbes some time back reported that a company based in LA (Hollywood?) had purchased a portion of SailGP. The article also claimed the overall worth of SailGP as having been assessed at $200M. The company's name may have been Endeavor? I didn't try finding anything else on it since I don't spend much time worrying about SailGP's financing but it should be findable.

Horn Rock

Super Anarchist
Byron Bay
I don’t see why GD would balk at any of the issues above, been happy being the white wash to a murky regime for years so why grow a conscience now? 
I'm not saying he won't...I was expressing my personal opinions......Unlike Russell, GD keeps his focus quite narrow - the team and the event. He's not out there selling Emirates as a lily white organisation from a model state, whereas Russell is shoveling hard the green stuff which most know is a load of bollocks.

shebeen

Super Anarchist
One pitch has already been received for it to be held on the Isle of Wight.

It has been reported offers from several other locations – Valencia, Dubai, Saudi Arabia, Cork, Singapore and China – might also be lodged to host the event.

Valencia can now be added to the list of places where officials are working on an offer to secure hosting rights.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/americas-cup-spanish-officials-eye-hosting-rights-with-valencia-as-venue/6U6B5V34Q2CPOL5W2ZEC5BRPGY/
What's the AC72 really like in some chop and windswell?

I figure that will cut out a lot of viable options on open ocean.

Tornado-Cat

Super Anarchist
What's the AC72 really like in some chop and windswell?

I figure that will cut out a lot of viable options on open ocean.
The NZ AC72 sustained supposedly 30 kts on the ocean, but I guess you are talking about the AC75. Whatever, the venue should make the boat and not the contrary,

EYESAILOR

Super Anarchist
The NZ AC72 sustained supposedly 30 kts on the ocean, but I guess you are talking about the AC75. Whatever, the venue should make the boat and not the contrary,
But in real life, they are committed to the AC75 for the next round and will not choose somewhere unsuitable for the boat.   The boat will be tweaked for local conditions but it will be a track where the AC75 can work.