Americas Cup

Jim in Halifax

Super Anarchist
Nova Scotia
As a sporting event, yes, lot of thrills & chills. If I was Kiwi or Yank, I would probably follow it. As a sailing event...meh. These boats have zero appeal to me - nothing on them is likely to have any 'trickle-down' benefit to the kind of sailing I do. Now, Vendee Globe - that has relevence. I could see having a water generator, an autopilot, or a comms system that benefited from being used on an Open 60.

Like Bob, but for a different reason, AC puts me to sleep.

Edit: Bob doesn't put me to sleep; AC does!

Last edited by a moderator:

kimbottles

Super Anarchist
PNW
You got to be kidding, this is easily as exciting as Formula 1 or NASCAR.

Amazing boats and amazing crew work. And amazing comeback from Jimmy and his crew!

What an impossible comeback. I've been on the edge of my seat. The boat speeds are sick and the competition is legendary despite the restrictive rules. Hats off to L.E., the city of San Francisco and the GGYC. Not sure why it's still called the Americas Cup...

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
I was dozing off in the first race yesterday but I had no problem perking up for the second race.

Amazing stuff!

sailman

Super Anarchist
Portsmouth, RI
Speed does not necessarily make a good race, especially a match race. As was pointed out, very little relates to actual sailing i.e. the wing a group of grinders powering hydraulics, foiling. From a match race perspective the lead boat has an advantage on both legs, windward and leeward. From a competitive perspective there is only one windward leg! Unfortunately it looks like the Kiwis will loose today, that was the only hope of returning the Cup to a more sensible format instead of Crazy Larry's Nautical NASCAR.

Amazing boats and amazing crew work. And amazing comeback from Jimmy and his crew!

Innocent Bystander

Super Anarchist
Lower Southern MD

But then again, I fell asleep watching the Singapore F-1 Sunday. Might have had something to do with a bunch of sailors at the house from Friday through Sunday noon and the associated consumption of food and drink.

kimbottles

Super Anarchist
PNW
What an impossible comeback. I've been on the edge of my seat. The boat speeds are sick and the competition is legendary despite the restrictive rules. Hats off to L.E., the city of San Francisco and the GGYC. Not sure why it's still called the Americas Cup...
The Cup is named after the schooner "America" which first won the Cup in 1851. It is not named after any country.

SemiSalt

Super Anarchist
WLIS
Speed does not necessarily make a good race, especially a match race. As was pointed out, very little relates to actual sailing i.e. the wing a group of grinders powering hydraulics, foiling. From a match race perspective the lead boat has an advantage on both legs, windward and leeward. From a competitive perspective there is only one windward leg! Unfortunately it looks like the Kiwis will loose today, that was the only hope of returning the Cup to a more sensible format instead of Crazy Larry's Nautical NASCAR.

There are plenty of things about the course that are non-standard. It's sort of a "best we can do given the restrictions" sort of thing. Both the overall course length (short) and the single windward leg are not what anyone would want. But it's been great to watch.

Still, even if Oracle wins, I think a lot will be different a second time. LE didn't make good on his promises to the SF city fathers, and he's unlikely to get the same deal another time. The boats will be changed to make control and foiling easier. There could be changes to make them a lot cheaper, but I sort of doubt that.

Trovão

Super Anarchist

"match race" is the excrescence of sailboat racing,

Rasputin22

Rasputin22

excrescence

Had to look that one up! Maybe I'll use it for my next boats name.

ex·cres·cence

ikˈskresəns/
noun

1. 1.
    a distinct outgrowth on a human or animal body or on a plant, esp. one that is the result of disease or abnormality.

synonyms: growth, lump, swelling, nodule, outgrowth More

Not My Real Name

Not Actually Me

"Match Racing" in terms of (near) identical boats being used is a more modern part of the Cup, they used to use handicaps back in the days of Herreshoff.

py26129

Super Anarchist
Montreal
Still, I don't think anyone wuold have expected the boats to be as close as they are. While foiling, wings and the speeds they achieve, will not be familiar to most (all?) of us, if you've done any racing you can still understand and appreciate the tactical aspect of he races.

In all, It's great stuff. I expected a yawn fest, like the LV Cup but instead we got spectacular racing and a great comeback. Honestly I don't care who wins today it's been too much fun and either team woudl be a deserving winner.

kimbottles

Super Anarchist
PNW
Still, I don't think anyone wuold have expected the boats to be as close as they are. While foiling, wings and the speeds they achieve, will not be familiar to most (all?) of us, if you've done any racing you can still understand and appreciate the tactical aspect of he races.

In all, It's great stuff. I expected a yawn fest, like the LV Cup but instead we got spectacular racing and a great comeback. Honestly I don't care who wins today it's been too much fun and either team woudl be a deserving winner.
Agree, it no longer matters to me who wins, this has been so much better than I expected. Great stuff!

Latest posts