Anchor Geekdom

Panope

Super Anarchist
Port Townsend, WA
Glad to hear that you are feeling better!

This test has forward and reverse bollard pull tests of a lot of props, including a standard 3 blade prop that should be similar to yours:

http://flexofold.com/upload_dir/docs/Test_YachtingMonthly_low.pdf

They only show about a 40% decrease in reverse compared to forward (265kg vs 163kg), where you are seeing a 67% decrease. I wonder what accounts for such variability? Their boat is obviously very different (it is a fin+spade modern cruiser).

They are using a smaller Yanmar engine, but with the same gearbox as yours.
Alex, hard to say what would be the cause of the difference that you noted. Could be the shape of the hull (Panope is full keel) or proximity/shape of the rudder.

Also, I noticed that my gearbox has the choice of three different forward gear ratios and only the one reverse ratio.

Steve

DDW

Super Anarchist
Good work. I should have thought about the tach - I have a contact/non-contact digital tach I could have thrown in the box. I am impressed by the peak forward thrust, didn't think it would be quite that high.

Panope

Super Anarchist
Port Townsend, WA
DDW, it was an impressive pull. It makes me think that I could actually set Kim's king sized Fortress FX-85.

Kim, are you headed my way anytime soon?

Steve

IStream

Super Anarchist
Hi Steve,

I agree that stretch shouldn't affect it but real lines are pretty far from perfect elastic elements. Probably not a huge effect but given how much of a roostertail you threw I wouldn't be surprised if a fair amount of thrust went from DC to AC and turned into heat in the line. Just a suggestion that if you do a repeat that you try chain or a spectra line from the boat to the load cell.

kimbottles

Super Anarchist
PNW
DDW, it was an impressive pull. It makes me think that I could actually set Kim's king sized Fortress FX-85.

Kim, are you headed my way anytime soon?

Steve
What?? You want to get my brand new pristine anchor DIRTY???

(Yeah, might be up there sometime soon. Will call ahead.)

This test has forward and reverse bollard pull tests of a lot of props, including a standard 3 blade prop that should be similar to yours:

http://flexofold.com/upload_dir/docs/Test_YachtingMonthly_low.pdf

They only show about a 40% decrease in reverse compared to forward (265kg vs 163kg), where you are seeing a 67% decrease. I wonder what accounts for such variability? Their boat is obviously very different (it is a fin+spade modern cruiser).

They are using a smaller Yanmar engine, but with the same gearbox as yours.
If you allow for the different gear rations in Steve's Panope, 3500 engine rpm in reverse is equal to 2980 (lets call it 3000) engine rpm in forward for the same prop rpm. Looking at it that way, the difference between forward and reverse is about 50%. Panope would have come up with more reverse thrust if the prop could have been brought up to the same rpm as in forward but was limited by engine rpm limits.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yesac13

Thought some of you weird anchor nerds might enjoy this article.

It is about the Herreshoff anchor. Otherwise known as fisherman anchor. Many people don't know that the fisherman anchors seen today generally was developed by Captain Nat himself. The anchor form is several hundred years old but around 1870-1910 Captain Nat tested and refined the fisherman anchor.

Extreme nerdery warning: Even includes some algebra!

http://www.woodenboat.com/herreshoff-three-piece-stock-anchor-0

Ishmael

Granfallooner
Fuctifino
Thought some of you weird anchor nerds might enjoy this article.

It is about the Herreshoff anchor. Otherwise known as fisherman anchor. Many people don't know that the fisherman anchors seen today generally was developed by Captain Nat himself. The anchor form is several hundred years old but around 1870-1910 Captain Nat tested and refined the fisherman anchor.

Extreme nerdery warning: Even includes some algebra!

http://www.woodenboat.com/herreshoff-three-piece-stock-anchor-0
No tits?

Panope

Super Anarchist
Port Townsend, WA
Good Stuff Yesac,

“The first anchors were set on shore at a time of low tide and the rode was attached to a team of oxen. Pa (NGH) watched the tipping of the anchor, its initial digging in, and its setting under strain. He then redesigned the proportions with particular emphasis on the flukes. Then there were further tests to revise or confirm the design..........."

Sounds like the Herreshoffs could have really used a GoPro camera.

Steve

Panope

Super Anarchist
Port Townsend, WA
Today I tested the Excel at the Sand/Gravel site (Point Hudson). A fair amount of current was running and somehow this has once again resulted in the camera becoming fouled for portions of the videos. Fortunately, the new camera mounts is basically indestructible so no damage to it or the camera.

Steve

Video #33

Panope

Super Anarchist
Port Townsend, WA
45 pound Mantus Anchor.

The anchor has the largest physical dimensions of this group of 45 pound anchors. When stowed, the toe does extend aft of Panope's stem. However, the small hull guard (that was custom made for the Manson Supreme) works perfectly to protect the hull paint.

Mantus%2001_zps3s9tpm5q.jpg

First test is at the "normal" test area of "sandy mud". 3.5 to 1 scope.

Steve

Video #35

Last edited by a moderator:

Panope

Super Anarchist
Port Townsend, WA
Fraggler, I have never used a kellet. I suppose they may offer some (small) increase in holding power. If I was seeking extra holding power, rather than adding a kellet, I would just get a bigger anchor.

Steve