Anchor Geekdom

Norse Horse

Super Anarchist
The Rock
Watch this little 8 lb Mantus set. I expected better from the other anchors, but didn't someone in CA say the smaller are harder to set in the modern versions ?

I use a kellet pretty regularly - but not for holding power, rather to keep the nylon rode from hooking on my fin keel during current reversals. Works a charm for that.

I had a 10kg Rocna, (28', 7000# boat) and it set so hard it would just about knock us off our feet.

Last edited by a moderator:

Max Rockatansky

holy fuckfarts!
I gotta laugh at the Mantus 'comparison' videos.

If you look, the set of both the Mantus instances have a different chain catenary than the other brands, and they are both set more upslope than the other brands, and they pause to set the Mantus (manti?) and snatch like hell at the other brands.

Go look at the Mantus vids where the guy is dragging them down the beach in I think it's Galveston? G.Zeus, those catenary angles are ridiculous.

I'm not going to ask the fox to watch the henhouse. Panope's vids have far more credibility in my book

SailAR

Anarchist
+1 a friend on a j120 uses it for this very reason.

I use a kellet pretty regularly - but not for holding power, rather to keep the nylon rode from hooking on my fin keel during current reversals. Works a charm for that.

I had a 10kg Rocna, (28', 7000# boat) and it set so hard it would just about knock us off our feet.

Norse Horse

Super Anarchist
The Rock
I gotta laugh at the Mantus 'comparison' videos.

If you look, the set of both the Mantus instances have a different chain catenary than the other brands, and they are both set more upslope than the other brands, and they pause to set the Mantus (manti?) and snatch like hell at the other brands.

Go look at the Mantus vids where the guy is dragging them down the beach in I think it's Galveston? G.Zeus, those catenary angles are ridiculous.

I'm not going to ask the fox to watch the henhouse. Panope's vids have far more credibility in my book
Not dis agreeing there and points well taken

but the Mantus does drag like the others at the end of the vid.

I am curious what anchor sailors use for 20-24 ft boats, there are a lot of cheap Danforth copies out there. When the anchor is so light, it is more like hooking a fish sometimes.

I enjoy Panope;s videos knowing there is no hidden sales agenda.

I will probably get the Spade 100 for this summer, it is available locally in Sidney, Van Is http://www.delta-marine.com/

Max Rockatansky

holy fuckfarts!
Norse Horse

In regards small boats: fwiw on my 27' trimaran I used a Fortress FX-7 that I thought well of, until we were anchoring in the Keys in a grassy spot, and had to move b/c we couldn't get the thing in. I then bought a 15 lb Manson Supreme, and was so impressed that even though it was heavy I kept it aboard. And that is something, 'cause I really worried about weight.

Panope

Super Anarchist
Port Townsend, WA
.......And the requisite 2.5 to 1 test at the "Point Hudson", sand/gravel site.

The Mantus performed well. However, I noticed the anchor did not set as "hard" at this short scope. Also, the anchor seemed to not bury quite as deeply and had much less resistance when retrieving.

Video #38

Ishmael

Granfallooner
Fuctifino
.......And the requisite 2.5 to 1 test at the "Point Hudson", sand/gravel site.

The Mantus performed well. However, I noticed the anchor did not set as "hard" at this short scope. Also, the anchor seemed to not bury quite as deeply and had much less resistance when retrieving.

Video #38

So what is your current "best of breed"? If you had to pick one anchor, which one would you pick?

Panope

Super Anarchist
Port Townsend, WA
Ish, It's a tough call.

Bruce (Genuine): Looks the best. It is structurally strong. It Sets reliably but, it does not dive into the seabed like the others. Consistently tests (not my tests) at low ultimate holding power. No to the Bruce.

Mantus: Very, very fast and hard setting. Excellent at 180 deg. resets. Structure is not as strong as some of the other anchors but is probably strong enough....or not. Looks like a gangly teenager. It is crazy for me to not pick this anchor because in several ways, it performs the best.

Manson: Very fast and hard setting. Very strong structure. Looks like Mike Tyson (compact, powerful). Uncanny holding in my "reducing scope" test. Has a problem with 180 deg. resets at 2.5 to 1 scope. Comes up with the most seabed attached. It is crazy for me to not pick this anchor because the only operational fault (2.5 to 1 scope) does not really represent reality.

Excel: Very strong structure, Fast and hard setting, releases during 180 deg. resets but quickly reengages. Looks like a proper anchor but unfortunately, the angular form does not go with Panope's "curvy" style. It is crazy for me to not pick this anchor as I have not found an operational or structural fault with it.

Spade: Very fast and hard setting. Very good with the 180 deg. resets. Looks great on Panope's bow (no roll-bar sticking up). I believe the structure is not as strong as the Manson or the Excel (shank could use a bit more material where it meets the Fluke). It is crazy for me to pick this anchor based on the way it looks.

Fuck it. Looks are important.

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:

kimbottles

Super Anarchist
PNW
Ish, It's a tough call.

Bruce (Genuine): Looks the best. It is structurally strong. It Sets reliably but, it does not dive into the seabed like the others. Consistently tests (not my tests) at low ultimate holding power. No to the Bruce.

Mantus: Very, very fast and hard setting. Excellent at 180 deg. resets. Structure is not as strong as some of the other anchors but is probably strong enough....or not. Looks like a gangly teenager. It is crazy for me to not pick this anchor because in several ways, it performs the best.

Manson: Very fast and hard setting. Very strong structure. Looks like Mike Tyson (compact, powerful). Uncanny holding in my "reducing scope" test. Has a problem with 180 deg. resets at 2.5 to 1 scope. Comes up with the most seabed attached. It is crazy for me to not pick this anchor because the only operational fault (2.5 to 1 scope) does not really represent reality.

Excel: Very strong structure, Fast and hard setting, releases during 180 deg. resets but quickly reengages. Looks like a proper anchor but unfortunately, the angular form does not go with Panope's "curvy" style. It is crazy for me to not pick this anchor as I have not found an operational or structural fault with it.

Spade: Very fast and hard setting. Very good with the 180 deg. resets. Looks great on Panope's bow (no roll-bar sticking up). I believe the structure is not as strong as the Manson or the Excel (shank could use a bit more material where it meets the Fluke). It is crazy for me to pick this anchor based on the way it looks.

Fuck it. Looks are important.

Steve
What? No comment on the Rocna?

Panope

Super Anarchist
Port Townsend, WA
Kim, I've never laid my hands on a Rocna so I will hold back comments until I do. We really need you to make another field trip to Port Tonwsend. Bring your Rocna and your Fortress.

Steve

Panope

Super Anarchist
Port Townsend, WA
I have used a Manson Supreme and a Rocna, they are the same thing in my book.

As long as you don't have a Rocna from China with a soft shaft.
Powdered rhinoceros horn will fix that.
I think it would be more appropriate to use the remedy that is preferred by the Chinese: Panopea generosa

Steve

DSC-0580.jpg

Ishmael

Granfallooner
Fuctifino

Panope

Super Anarchist
Port Townsend, WA
Mantus Anchor. Reducing scope test. This is the test where I first set the anchor in the normal fashion at 3.5 to 1 scope. Scope is then reduced incrementally until the anchor releases.

The performance of the Mantus in this test was impressive. Of all the anchors I have tested, only the Manson Supreme did better.

Steve

Video # 39

Panope

Super Anarchist
Port Townsend, WA
Mantus Anchor. Deep Setting. This is the test where I set the anchor in the normal spot at 3.5 to 1 scope. I then move the anchor rode and belay at the stern of the vessel. This allows maximum pulling thrust by using forward engine power (Max forward thrust = 910 pounds).

The anchor performed very well. However, I stopped the test prior to the anchor achieving it's maximum penetration. The anchor was still moving horizontally and downward (unbeknownst to me) at a very slow rate when I reduced power. My feeling is that if I had kept the power on longer, the anchor would have eventually buried deep enough and stopped moving.

Steve

Video #40

Panope

Super Anarchist
Port Townsend, WA
Here is the Bruce 44 (Genuine) being subjected to my "Deep Set" test. This is the test where I set the anchor at my normal spot at 3.5 to 1 scope with the rode belayed at the stern of the vessel. This allows maximum pulling thrust by using forward engine power (Max thrust = 910 pounds).

As you will see, the anchor was unable to remain engaged to the seabed even after increasing scope to 5 to 1.

Steve

Video #41

Max Rockatansky

holy fuckfarts!
I'm not surprised re: bruce/claw. The one boat in the Dauphin Island race anchorage which came adrift was laying, or rather not laying, to a Bruce (or the type). It was an expensive lesson for me, as he drifted into my bow.

Again, thanks for these vids. They have been very instructive