Anchor Geekdom

Panope

Super Anarchist
Port Townsend, WA
Five very fine anchors.

With an arsenal like this, How could I possibly survive the shame of Panope (hypothetically) dragging ashore?

P1090210_zps7hq6w8hj.jpg

Panope

Super Anarchist
Port Townsend, WA
Here is the Fortress FX-16 undergoing the "Deep Set" test.

First try was at the requisite 3.5 to 1 scope. The anchor did not release even under maximum thrust of 910 pounds. However, the anchor had a continuous, very slow drag that I feel would have continued indefinitely.

Second try was at 5 to 1 scope. The anchor moved a total of about 2 anchor lengths and was nicely buried when it stopped moving. A very impressive performance of this 10 pound anchor.

Note: The Fortress website specifies that a minimum of 5 to 1 scope is to be used with their anchors.

Steve

Panope

Super Anarchist
Port Townsend, WA
Norse, I have tried my best to not change technique between tests and I believe that I was pretty consistent for this one. I believe the increase in scope is the primary reason for the successful performance of the second test.

Steve

Norse Horse

Super Anarchist
The Rock
Norse, I have tried my best to not change technique between tests and I believe that I was pretty consistent for this one. I believe the increase in scope is the primary reason for the successful performance of the second test.

Steve
I watched the Danforth copy video one again as well as the Fortress 16 and I see a 2knot backdown vs your latest 1.4kn.

your hook in was one of your smoothest

I look forward to more videos....

Panope

Super Anarchist
Port Townsend, WA
Norse, my claim that the tests were consistent was pertaining to the two sets of the Fortress in the latest video as I thought (mistakenly, apparently) that is what you were asking about.

Lest's start from scratch as I am confused by your comments. Could you please explain more clearly the point that you are making?

Steve

Panope

Super Anarchist
Port Townsend, WA
Norse, Here are some of my thoughts on my aggressive, momentum based setting technique:

-The technique gives the crew excellent feedback. When the anchor grabs, the whole boat is jerked leaving little doubt about the quality of the set.

-The technique simulates an emergency anchoring situation (lee shore, dead engine etc.).

-It quickly identifies the anchors that must to be "nursed" into the seabed. These anchors are then retired.

-It identifies weak deck gear. Inadequate cleats, chain stoppers, chocks and rollers will be damaged thus forcing installation of stronger gear.

For 8 years (back in the 1980's) my father and I slowly dragged Panope's CQR anchor back and forth across anchorages hoping that it would set. Back then the boat only had 15 horsepower and to honest, we really did not know if the anchor was set until the wind picked up. Today, it is unnecessary to subject ourselves to this ritual as many anchors are available that will set fast and hard within one anchor length.

If my videos have shown nothing else, I hope they at least confirm the above.

Steve

Panope

Super Anarchist
Port Townsend, WA
Another Anchor Right product arrived in the mail today, a 33 lb. (15 kg.) Super SARCA #5.

Note: This anchor is one size smaller than what is recommended by Anchor Right for this boat. However, given that my boat is incapable of dragging (with the engine) the better, larger sized anchors, this size may provide some better information. Also, the cost of submitting an anchor from halfway around the world was mitigated by sending a smaller one.

20160212_111727_zpsy95p6oxr.jpg

Once again, the small hull guard (that was designed for a 45 Manson Supreme) works for this anchor (as it did with just about every other that I have tested).

Note the down-turned toe.

20160212_111809_zpsxij23k2n.jpg

The chain attach point is via a rock slot. This anchor was shipped to me with a blocking bolt installed in the slot. I think this is a good idea given that some of my testing involves a violent, 180 degree re-set test and having the chain active in the slot will not give an accurate representation of this anchors ability to "pivot" in the seabed.

20160212_111831_zps1d3uui9l.jpg

Panope

Super Anarchist
Port Townsend, WA
.......Note: This anchor is one size smaller than what is recommended by Anchor Right for this boat. However, given that my boat is incapable of dragging (with the engine) the better, larger sized anchors, this size may provide some better information.....
After re-reading the above, I realize that I may have wrote something confusing. My reference to "better, large sized anchors" was not meant to say that the SARCA is not better.

I should have wrote:

......However, given that my boat is incapable of dragging (with the engine) the larger sized anchors (except the inferior Bruce), this size may provide some better information...............

Note: I have not yet tested the SUPER Sarca and I have no idea how it will perform. Stay tuned.....

Steve

eric e

Super Anarchist
nz.akl
^ have just replaced my 15kg bruce

with a 15kg super sarca

no experience yet but have been told that

a bruce doesn't usually need a swivel as they very hydro-dynamically stable and "fly well" up, and down, through the water

(so stable in fact that a small 5kg bruce can be used as an emergency drogue)

but that the super sarca does not "fly well" and can twist up the chain if a swivel isn't used

Panope

Super Anarchist
Port Townsend, WA
Eric, Thanks for the info about the Sarca. My camera lash-up provides drag and a small amount of buoyancy that may prevent an anchor from spinning on the way down. If I can remember to do so, I'll drop the Sarca with no camera and see if I can verify if the spinning effect is for real. If the surface is smooth (no breeze) I can often see the anchor down to about 15 feet.

Steve

I posed this question amid some of the anchored Bristol Bay fishing fleet.

Would you get better holding with:

XX anchor with chain and rode

Or

XX anchor of weight of previous + weight of chain.

Generally shallow anchorages. Mostly sand and glacial silt. No weeds to speak of. Only rocks I've found are round, and only in the low water channels. We sometimes have 5 boats rafted on one anchor.

Excellent read thanks so much! I have a sarca excel down here in wellington new zealand and I can't rate it highly enough.

I have a 35 foot planning launch with a hardtop (vindex 350ltd) running a 35lbs Sarca 200 feet of 8mm chain.

This xmas we had a blow come through that was easily 50knots plus in the squalls..at one stage I saw the gps reading 2knots boat speed as we swung violently all night on the anchor.

At one stage during the night we where hit by such a strong gust the boat leaned over so far the table in the saloon fell over! The sarca didn't budge.

In the morning when we woke up the bay was empty. Every single boat on anchor had left during the night except us. We did have a hard time getting the anchor out in the morning as the winch wouldn't pull it out of the ocean floor. I had to use a fair amount of my available 400hps to break it free and even then the bow dived down before it poped back up once the anchor broke free.

Totally sold on the sarca as well as keeping the boat safe it kept the 3 kids asleep all night now that's worth paying top dollar for hehe

Again great read and keep up the good work

Last edited by a moderator:

Panope

Super Anarchist
Port Townsend, WA
I was able to conduct 4 sets of the Sarca Anchor today.

Here is the first, the 3.5 to 1 scope with reverse test in "sandy mud"

Steve

Video #43

eric e

Super Anarchist
nz.akl
thanks for all your work in this thread

fascinating to watch them do their work

down with the crabs

Last edited by a moderator:

Ishmael

≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈
Fuctifino
This came up on a link from the last video. It's pretty entertaining. I had never considered a plastic anchor before.

Panope

Super Anarchist
Port Townsend, WA
SUPER Sarca. Reducing scope test.

A gentle current (from the starboard) pushed the boat out of alignment with the anchor during final portions of this test. This caused the anchor to pivot about 30 degrees and may have resulted in the anchor not holding as well as it could have with a strait pull.

Steve

Video #45