it seems that before the "super sarca"

about 2005 there was the "classic sarca" or simply "sarca" sand and rock anchor

it appears to only differ by not having the small triangular plate at top

sarca_anchor_1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Panope

Super Anarchist
Port Townsend, WA
Here is a table that depicts all of the anchor tests that I have conducted so far. The numbers represent the video number contained in the title of each YouTube video.

The blank spaces are tests that have not been conducted.

The spaces with the red XXXXX are tests that I plan on conducting in the future.

Steve

Tests_zpsznfxvscv.jpg

Ishmael

Granfallooner
Fuctifino
I'd really like to see how a Delta stacks up in there, since it's what I use. Can anyone down there loan one to Steve, providing he is willing to do it?

Hike Bitches!

Super Anarchist
Solomons, MD
Steve, keep up the good, unbiased, work. If folks like the sarca's are sending you anchors, they must be interested in your results and how their anchors stack up.

BTW- since this is CA, I don't think anyone would hold it against you if you suddenly had a pink, plastic anchor to test. :huh: :rolleyes:

Panope

Super Anarchist
Port Townsend, WA
I have a 20KG Lewmar delta on my boat down in Seattle you would be welcome to borrow for a test... I would love to see a Rocna vs Manson test as well. We had a 20KG Rocna on our 35' boat while we cruised from Seattle to NZ and were very happy with it. I have lots of anecdotal evidence of where we had problems, though of of those cases would be hard to recreate.

Your abrupt direction change with force is a good test though as one of the times we had an issue was when we were anchored with about 4.x:1 in about 75' of water with a nice normal 10-15 kt trades predicted a unpredicted storm came though and blew 55+ for a few hours about 120 degrees different than what was predicted. So gentle direction change due to a wind shift or current is not the only use case... :)
CA member buchhla offered a Delta to me back in November. I have not yet followed up as I have had a steady stream of anchors coming my way via the mail service. When I get up to date on the anchors that I already have, I will pursue this one further - assuming the offer is still available.

Steve

Panope

Super Anarchist
Port Townsend, WA
Steve, keep up the good, unbiased, work. If folks like the sarca's are sending you anchors, they must be interested in your results and how their anchors stack up.

BTW- since this is CA, I don't think anyone would hold it against you if you suddenly had a pink, plastic anchor to test. :huh: :rolleyes:
H,B, Pink, plastic, lubricated or vibrating - its all good.

Steve

Priscilla

Super Anarchist
I acquired Mr CQR a buddy today.

Thought I would try a" modern" anchor and looked at all of those brands posted by Panope.

Thank you very much for all your efforts and bloody well done,simply the best anchor brand comparison I have seen and impartial to boot.

Christ that Peter Smith is a annoying critter and what about those toy Ultra comparisons in a plastic tub at the boat show WTF.

The Rocna/Manson imho is just a Spade with a hoop attached to evade copyright issues and both should come with a valid seabed mining license and a hotline number for the nearest windlass doctor.

Damned effective anchors otherwise but impossible to stow in the forepeak of my old woody.

Long story short I have gone with a Sarca Excel which interestingly is marketed at a weight of 12 kilos / 26.4 lbs but actually weighs 14.1 kilos / 31lbs when measured by the supplier.

Kind of has a Delta look about it but believe you me this is no Delta and it bites and grips far better than fore deck hand.

With a few minor alterations to the forepeak Mrs Sarca tucks in well with Mr CQR so all good. Hope they do not get up to any hanky panky in the dark of my bow, although they could well be be gay.

Mr CQR has performed well but does tend to have a weakness reattaching to the planet when wind/tide changes direction with a sandy bottom, but being stainless exits a muddy bottom clean and shiny as a whistle every time.

Interestingly, I still have a Fisherman which I just can not bring myself to make a garden ornament out of yet although I could save the weight and just get a tattoo to look increasingly salty.

JuJbTgC.jpg

SFO2X3V.jpg

valis

Super Anarchist
Friday Harbor, WA
The Rocna/Manson imho is just a Spade with a hoop attached to evade copyright issues and both should come with a valid seabed mining license and a hotline number for the nearest windlass doctor.
There's quite a bit of difference between the Rocna and the Spade (I have both). The Spade has a heavy lead-ballasted tip cavity, while the Rocna has no extra weight beyond the metal plate the anchor is built from. The Rocna has the roll-bar to force it into a tip-down orientation, while the Spade uses the lead ballast and geometry. These are both great anchors. I think that for a given size anchor the Spade will likely penetrate weeds better, but a reasonably-sized Rocna with its sharp tip is no slouch in that department either.

Panope

Super Anarchist
Port Townsend, WA
And the Sarca at the same, sand/gravel location at 2.5 to one scope.

The anchor took a bit longer distance to set initially (about 3 anchor lengths) and was unable to reset after the 180 degree reversal. The anchor may have eventually reset but I was unwilling to continue a long "power drag" of the anchor for fear of dragging (and damaging) the camera across the rocky bottom.

This is actually the second attempt at this test (2.5 to 1, sand/gravel). The first take produced a video that is not view-able. However, I determined that the anchor behaved similarly in both tries (Good initial set that held boat, unsuccessful re-set).

Steve

Video #48

Panope

Super Anarchist
Port Townsend, WA
Here is the Fortress FX-16 at the sand/gravel site with 2.5 to 1 scope.

The anchor struggled to initially set and then failed to re-set on the course reversal test. The anchor became heavily fouled with vegetation, a small tree and various rocks including one rock that was jambed between the flukes.

Steve

Video #50

pacifica

Steve,

Thanks for posting the videos in general, and specifically for the latest Fortress tests. Very good information and much appreciated.

They match what was happening in my mind's eye when I used my FX23 on my 3500lb trimaran for 5 months (120 nights at anchor in perhaps 70 anchorages) last year in BC.

Difficult to set, and not really a solid stop when it did set. In contrast to the behavior of the 25 kg Rocna on my former 22,000 lb cruising boat, with sudden bow-dipping sets. The Fortress had previously only been used for occasional kedging off sandbanks in the larger boat.

The Fortress is retired/for sale and I look forward to trying out my new 20 lb Vulcan on the tri.

Steve M, Comox

kimbottles

Super Anarchist
PNW
Steve,

Thanks for posting the videos in general, and specifically for the latest Fortress tests. Very good information and much appreciated.

They match what was happening in my mind's eye when I used my FX23 on my 3500lb trimaran for 5 months (120 nights at anchor in perhaps 70 anchorages) last year in BC.

Difficult to set, and not really a solid stop when it did set. In contrast to the behavior of the 25 kg Rocna on my former 22,000 lb cruising boat, with sudden bow-dipping sets. The Fortress had previously only been used for occasional kedging off sandbanks in the larger boat.

The Fortress is retired/for sale and I look forward to trying out my new 20 lb Vulcan on the tri.

Steve M, Comox
Steve,

Where are you and how much do you want for the FX-23, I would not mind upgrading my FX-16 to a larger size for my "stern" anchor (which really goes on the bow with the new Rocna on the stern.)

Kim

Ishmael

Granfallooner
Fuctifino
Steve,

Steve M, Comox
Steve,

Where are you and how much do you want for the FX-23, I would not mind upgrading my FX-16 to a larger size for my "stern" anchor (which really goes on the bow with the new Rocna on the stern.)

Kim
You're going to put unmatched anchors on Frankie? Oh, the humanity.

kimbottles

Super Anarchist
PNW
Steve,

Steve M, Comox
Steve,

Kim
You're going to put unmatched anchors on Frankie? Oh, the humanity.
When cruising FRANCIS carries two Fortresses, one CQR, one Danforth and one Rocna.

Plus the two tables, the powered cooler, shortwave radios, inflatable, outboard, etc....

When Racing it is just the two Fortresses.

pacifica

Steve,

Steve M, Comox
Steve,

Kim
PM sent