Anchor Geekdom

vjm

I wanted to thank you for these, Steve. I had to buy a new primary anchor and these videos were a fantastic tool in making that choice. Made the whole process much less stressful than it could have been.

Panope

Super Anarchist
Port Townsend, WA
Plenamar, the link that IStream posted is the best account I have given although it is long and a bit wordy. You can always just skim and look at the pictures.

Steve

kinardly

Super Anarchist
Practical Sailor did a lengthy comparison of the Fortress, Danforth, Bruce, CQR and Delta anchors years/decades ago. My takeaways were the plow anchors plowed and the Danforth and Fortress were a little sketchy in rocky bottoms and when swinging at anchor and the Fortress performed best without a lot of chain.

IStream

Super Anarchist
Plenamar, the link that IStream posted is the best account I have given although it is long and a bit wordy. You can always just skim and look at the pictures.

Steve
Don't sell yourself short, Steve. It's a very informative and engrossing read for the likes of this forum.

Panope

Super Anarchist
Port Townsend, WA
Mantus Re-setting.

I subjected the 44 pound Mantus Anchor to my repeated (10 times), back and forth re-set test. Performance was great. Let's add the Mantus to my list of anchors that perform perfectly in this very difficult test. The other winners were the Super Sarca, Sara Excel (Steel), and the Spade.

Re-call that the Manson Supreme had great difficulty with this test. My modifications of the anchor did improve the performance but it is still no match for the anchors listed above.

The Aluminum version of the Sarca Excel #5 (27 pounds) did quite well (but not perfect) with this test.

And most recently, the 10 pound Fortress FX-16 had significant problems re-setting during this test. It remains to be seen if a heavier Fortress anchor will perform better with this test.

Steve

Video #62

IStream

Super Anarchist
Steve, have you reached out to Rocna? Your catalog of tests is fantastic and far more credible than anything else I've seen on the net. With the addition of the Rocna, you'd have covered pretty much all major models.

Panope

Super Anarchist
Port Townsend, WA
Istream, Very early in my testing I e-mailed Canada Metal (Rocna) and received no response. However, at this stage of the game, I am reluctant to keep testing new anchors unless somebody starts paying myself some actual money.

I I agree that a Rocna would be a logical addition to the catalog. My next door neighbor uses a 33 pounder on his Aloha. I might snatch it off his boat for a quick test.

Steve

Ishmael

Granfallooner
Fuctifino
I'm still advocating for testing of the Delta anchor, I see a lot of boats with that as their primary and it would be useful to have a benchmark to judge the performance gains of the newer anchors. A friend down the dock has a Spade that is starting to rust pretty badly and he is thinking of going with a Delta as a replacement. At less than half the price, I can see the attraction.

Pretty please with honey on it? (you'll have to imagine the high-pitched whine that goes with that).

Panope

Super Anarchist
Port Townsend, WA
Ish, it should be the finest honey, fresh from the hive. You better have a few stings and bear claw scratches to prove it.

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:

Ishmael

Granfallooner
Fuctifino
Ish, it should be the finest honey, fresh from the hive. You better have a few stings and bear claw scratches to prove it.

Steve
Our apiarist friends provide the finest honey fresh from the hive and they take care of the stings and the bears. I could mock up a few old scars if you'd like.