Anchor Geekdom

Mitre cut

NZ
That was excellent, the GoPro approach to researching this kind of thing really shows it like it is.

Maybe try some different combinations if you have the various models to test - soft mud, rocky stuff, pure sand etc etc ......

Very keen to follow this thread, keep it up

Panope

Super Anarchist
Port Townsend, WA
Overbend, good idea. I'll try and locate an area with a different substrate for some future tests.

So far I have conducted all these tests within about 200 feet of each other in order to give the anchors similar treatment.

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:

IStream

Super Anarchist
Steve, this is great work. I'd love to see some anchors trying to penetrate brown kelp. It's the only thing that's foiled my Mantus.

Panope

Super Anarchist
Port Townsend, WA
IStream, I have the same experience with my Manson and the kelp. It should not be too hard to find some. Seems like every time I sneak into a nice shallow spot away from the other boats, I end up with gigantic wads of kelp that completely entomb the entire anchor.

Today's test of the fortress (above) went well enough that I had time to re-test the Manson Supreme at short scope.

This time I used even shorter scope at 2.5 to 1. Also, unlike the previous short scope test (Video #2, 2.8 to 1) I was very careful to conduct the "pulls" exactly parallel to the bottom contour lines.

Steve

IStream

Super Anarchist
IStream, I have the same experience with my Manson and the kelp. It should not be too hard to find some. Seems like every time I sneak into a nice shallow spot away from the other boats, I end up with gigantic wads of kelp that completely entomb the entire anchor.

Today's test of the fortress (above) went well enough that I had time to re-test the Manson Supreme at short scope.

This time I used even shorter scope at 2.5 to 1. Also, unlike the previous short scope test (Video #2, 2.8 to 1) I was very careful to conduct the "pulls" exactly parallel to the bottom contour lines.

Steve

SailAR

Anarchist
Panope - thanks for sharing these. Really great idea with the camera.

I agree, would be interesting to see in different bottom types. Another idea would be if you have some notoriously difficult anchoring spots near you that you could test. Great Salt Pond on Block Island comes to mind around here...where the afternoon's entertainment is watching the anchor dragging contest.

Panope

Super Anarchist
Port Townsend, WA
IStream, No doubt that my violent reversal technique is not what mother nature would typically do in a wind or current shift. I have been more interested in watching these anchors at the limits. But I wonder the same as yourself - with a slow reversal the anchor may not have not released at all. Certainly, with the high speed reversal, more of the chain catenary is eliminated than if pulled slowly.

SailAR, I'll definitely explore some other anchorages. However, I have a few more tests to conduct in this same spot as it is important to give the different anchor types the same treatment. Spade Anchor USA is shipping me a 44 pounder for testing. Stay tuned......

Steve

DDW

Super Anarchist
I'm interested in the Spade test since that is what I am using for the bower. Also interested in the Rocna Vulcan, as it seems to be a copy of the Spade design but cast (?) in one piece. Those of us with bow rollers can't accommodate a roll bar anchor. Maybe you can hit up Rocna for a sample. If you run out of room to store them, I understand Kim's deck is available :) .

Ishmael

Yes, we have no bananas
Fuctifino
I'm interested in the Spade test since that is what I am using for the bower. Also interested in the Rocna Vulcan, as it seems to be a copy of the Spade design but cast (?) in one piece. Those of us with bow rollers can't accommodate a roll bar anchor. Maybe you can hit up Rocna for a sample. If you run out of room to store them, I understand Kim's deck Ish's boat is available :) .
Fixed. Kim already has a ton of anchors and people keep giving him more. Nobody gives me squat.

Panope

Super Anarchist
Port Townsend, WA
I'm interested in the Spade test since that is what I am using for the bower. Also interested in the Rocna Vulcan, as it seems to be a copy of the Spade design but cast (?) in one piece. Those of us with bow rollers can't accommodate a roll bar anchor. Maybe you can hit up Rocna for a sample. If you run out of room to store them, I understand Kim's deck Ish's boat is available :) .
Fixed. Kim already has a ton of anchors and people keep giving him more. Nobody gives me squat.
Ish, You can have my piece-of-shit Danforth Copy (the one that did not set at all).

Steve

Ishmael

Yes, we have no bananas
Fuctifino
Ish, You can have my piece-of-shit Danforth Copy (the one that did not set at all).

Steve
Geez, thanks Steve. Generosity is not dead.

blackjenner

Super Anarchist
Ish, I hear ya on the "anchor sitting in mud" thing. Being new to these public anchor discussions/debates/quagmires/shit fights, I was worried about credibility - hence the lack of editing (I did not want to hear someone say that I clipped or spliced the videos to sway the outcomes). I'm a lot less concerned about that now so in the future I will cut out the boring parts.

Here is my latest offering from today's test of the Fortress. This time I used a rode consisting of 12 feet of 5/16" chain, spliced to a length of 9/16" nylon rope. I deployed this from the stern of the boat while underway at a steady 3.6 knots. The Idea was to simulate an emergency stop using the anchor only.

Steve

The video is only 3 minutes, 8 seconds long so it should require little fast forwarding:

Amazing stuff. That is really cool, Steve. Nicely done!

Panope

Super Anarchist
Port Townsend, WA
Thanks Black, Spade Anchor came through and sent a 45 pounder for testing. I have also gathered up a 20# genuine Danforth, a 33# pound Bruce copy and a 20# Northhill. Should be an interesting week. Stay tuned........

Steve

Ishmael

Yes, we have no bananas
Fuctifino
Here's a link to an anchor study from about 20 years ago, done in Puget Sound and in various locations chosen for the variety of bottom conditions. This might shorten your research for where to find other places for testing.

http://www.ussailing.org/wp-content/uploads/DARoot/Offshore/SAS%20Studies/anchor%20study.pdf

I've always remembered the comment that choice of bottom is probably more important than choice of anchor.
Yes, I like it to be Quik-Set at night, and light broth when it comes to retrieval.