Anchor Geekdom

Panope

Super Anarchist
Port Townsend, WA
Sam, Thanks for the link for the anchor study. Good stuff.

I will eventually venture to different sea-bed types but for now I will continue with what I started - I comparison of various anchors under similar conditions.

Today, the gales finally abated and I was able to test 5 new (to me) anchors and a re-test of 2 of the previous anchors.

First up is a 50 pound CQR (copy). This anchor belongs to a dock mate and is in decent condition (hinge is not loose).

Steve

Panope

Super Anarchist
Port Townsend, WA
Kim, my primary rode is all chain, 3/8" BBB galvanized. I did do a couple tests with mixed rodes: Namely, the Forfjord and the "emergency stop" of the Fortress.

I'd love to test a Rocna if I could get my hands on one. However, everything I read says the Rocna and the Manson Supreme perform virtually the same.

Here the CQR (copy) trying to set at 2.5 to 1.

Steve

Panope

Super Anarchist
Port Townsend, WA
Spade Anchor USA confidently sent to me, a 44 pound, steel Spade Anchor (S100) for testing with the agreement that I either return or purchase the anchor.

Today, I gave the anchor a good testing. Here is the first go at 3.5 to 1 scope

Steve

Panope

Super Anarchist
Port Townsend, WA
Here is the Spade at the very short scope of 2.5 to 1.

I have to say that the setting and re-setting performance of this anchor is exceptional. The Manson Supreme normally sets I little bit faster than the Spade but the Manson has a very hard time coping with the 2.5 to 1 reverse wind/current test.

The Spade handles it with ease. Amazing.

Steve

Panope

Super Anarchist
Port Townsend, WA
Dismal failure of a 33 pound Bruce (COPY) anchor. This anchor belongs to my next door neighbor and has been gathering dust in his garage for many years (he uses a Rocna on his boat).

My neighbor reported that the anchor originally would not set at all before he improved it by sharpening the toe.

I think it needs a bit more improvement.

Steve

Panope

Super Anarchist
Port Townsend, WA
Good performance of a 20 pound Danforth (GENUINE).

This is in stark contrast to the complete failure of the Danforth Copy that I tested previously.

I am beginning to see a pattern here. It has to do with Genuine anchors (they work) and Copies (they do not work).

Steve

Panope

Super Anarchist
Port Townsend, WA
12 Pound Northill Anchor (Genuine). These anchors were used in WW2 Navy Seaplanes as they are collapsible and fit into a small space.

My father found this anchor on the bottom of Puget Sound many years ago and he uses it very successfully in his 18 foot fishing boat of heavy construction.

Steve

Panope

Super Anarchist
Port Townsend, WA
I re-tested the Genuine Bruce (33 pounds) at the scope of 2.5 to 1.

The anchor performed brilliantly at higher scope but at this very short scope the anchor struggled but did eventually set.

Steve

Panope

Super Anarchist
Port Townsend, WA
Since the other top performing anchors got the short scope treatment (2.5 to 1), I figured I had better re-test the Fortress as well.

The anchor was exceptional at longer scopes but like all the rest (except the Spade), the fortress had problems with 2.5 to 1. It did eventually set and re-set.

I should stress that 2.5 to 1 scope is much shorter than what was ever intended by the anchor makers to be used. I chose to test with this scope so as to explore the limits.

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:

IStream

Super Anarchist
Great info, Steve. I plan to have my boat on the hard for some (extensive) glass work in the next 12 months or so and will happily lend you my 85# Mantus if you want to test it.

steele

Super Anarchist
Land of the locks
Great info, Steve. I plan to have my boat on the hard for some (extensive) glass work in the next 12 months or so and will happily lend you my 85# Mantus if you want to test it.
I am considereing a mantus so that would be great, have you had good luck with it? I did notice that their recomended anchor is 10-15 lbs heavyer than the Rocna or Manson, but the mantus looks like it will fit my roller better.

kimbottles

Super Anarchist
PNW
There sure are a lot of "anchor tests" on the Internet. Interesting that they do not always agree with each other.

But many seem to show genuine Danforth anchors have lots of holding power in the right bottom, so not surprising that Fortress does well.

Rocna anchors seem to always perform well in the tests. The Spade test was interesting, clearly better than CQR in that bottom.

Great to have Steve's videos so we can see ourselves which anchor does what.

Please keep them coming Steve.

DDW

Super Anarchist
Thanks once again Steve. You guys realize he only has a manual anchor windlass right?

I have been using a Spade for 6 years now. I have found it to work very well in all bottoms, even at short scope. The nice yellow color gets mud stained pretty quickly, becoming black. In mud it will come up with quite a load typically, and must be dragged or washed off. In sand it comes up clean (as do all anchors pretty much).

Great stuff, thanks for sharing! (and for hauling all that chain [170 pounds worth] up over and over again)

Watching that CQR go for a sleigh ride helps me understand why my Delta is so hard to set.

One day after 3 failed attempts, my nephew looked back at me from the bow and said "what else you got?" We slept on a Danforth that night.

I really miss my Rocna, but Poseidon just wouldn't give it up.

Keep 'em coming!

IStream

Super Anarchist
I am considereing a mantus so that would be great, have you had good luck with it? I did notice that their recomended anchor is 10-15 lbs heavyer than the Rocna or Manson, but the mantus looks like it will fit my roller better.
I've had great luck with it so far (two seasons). It's only failed to set once, in thick brown kelp, but it's never dragged once set. That said, I've never put it to the test with winds over 20kts.

Other caveats:

1. It's Chinese-made and it looks it.

2. It often brings up a shovel full of mud so make sure your windlass can handle it and you've got a decent washdown since the bolted construction makes it harder to clean.

3. The company is new and small so keep in mind that its "lifetime" guarantee could be significantly shorter than your lifetime.

The above notwithstanding, I think it's a good value at 2/3 the price of the Rocna or Mantus at the time I bought it. That said, if money isn't tight and you don't need the ability to disassemble it for storage, I'd probably go with a Rocna if I were to do it over again. They look to be much higher quality and I don't have any fit issues.

Mr. Ed

Super Anarchist
Good performance of a 20 pound Danforth (GENUINE).

This is in stark contrast to the complete failure of the Danforth Copy that I tested previously.

I am beginning to see a pattern here. It has to do with Genuine anchors (they work) and Copies (they do not work).

Steve

My experience completely. A CQR copy on a previous boat was almost useless, but we have a big genuine one on the current ship and it's better (I think) than our Manson in mud. The Manson (why did they name it after a mass murderer?) is amazing in kelp, just burrows in like a ferret down a rabbit hole.

Last edited by a moderator:

Norse Horse

Super Anarchist
The Rock
Thanks, Steve.

I lost my Lewmar this last summer of all places, Newcastle Island, wrapped up in an old mooring with a large underwater ball marked "Viking". So many boats there sometimes it seems like everyone is on 2.5 to 1. The motorboats are surely guilty of starting it. The Lewmar was supposed to be a new gen anchor when it came out and really seems to be around only due to being kit on new Hunters and others. It was like setting the hook in a trout , sometimes.

From your tests,with my bow roller, I would have to pick the S-100 this winter as my next primary. My Danforth backup has not handled wind and current resets well on my 12,000lb boat, even at low drag rates.