Anchor Geekdom

Panope

Super Anarchist
Port Townsend, WA
That's a great idea DDW, and easy to execute. I do need to figure out how to minimize turbidity that I assume is result of the propeller "aiming" downward and the higher thrust of being in forward gear. Seems unlikely that the propwash is affecting things 105 feet away (and 25 feet below) but I have no other explanation.

Steve

Panope

Super Anarchist
Port Townsend, WA
Dear Santa, I have been a good boy. Please give me a load cell for Christmas. Make sure it has the fancy graphical display that is sunlight readable. Accuracy of +/- 10 pounds is desired. The sensor needs to be accurate (without calibration) between 0.0 and 30.0 degrees C.. All the components should be water resistant.... No, make that water proof. Preferably, the unit will be self powered (please get the lithium battery up-grade). It would also be good if the connection between the sensor and the display was wireless.

Steve

Panope

Super Anarchist
Port Townsend, WA
On another forum, someone was wondering how far the Spade anchor moved while the great turbidity cloud was obscuring the view. This was during in the final, high power setting of the anchor.

Here are two screen shots taken just prior to the turbidity cloud formation and just after its dissipation. I identified a group of white colored objects and circled them. The shots are fuzzy but I can assure you that when viewed in High Definition, these objects are one and the same.

I conclude that the anchor moved about 1 anchor length during this obscured period of the set.

During the initial set, it appears the anchor moved about 1.5 anchor lengths for a total of 2.5 lengths for the entire set.

Steve

Spade%20Shot%201_zpshpcwqwnk.jpg

Spade%20Shot%202_zpszyzewgip.jpg

DDW

Super Anarchist
You also need a load cell. Maybe DDW has a couple of spares in the closet.
As it happens, I do have a load cell, digital 5000 lbs +/-5 with max hold reading on a large daylight LCD display. It isn't waterproof though, just splash resistant (and a bit pricy). I'm not sure anything would be gained by measuring during every test, but it might be nice to know what Panope's bollard pull at 3400 (or whatever) is.

Ishmael

Granfallooner
Fuctifino
You also need a load cell. Maybe DDW has a couple of spares in the closet.
As it happens, I do have a load cell, digital 5000 lbs +/-5 with max hold reading on a large daylight LCD display. It isn't waterproof though, just splash resistant (and a bit pricy). I'm not sure anything would be gained by measuring during every test, but it might be nice to know what Panope's bollard pull at 3400 (or whatever) is.
That's what I was thinking. Measure the pull at a range of rpm's so there are some real load numbers to work with.

ProaSailor

dreaming my life away...
Oregon
I tried to shoot the Forfjord using a ROPE ONLY rode as a follow up to the rope only tests done with the large Fisherman anchor and the 44 lb. Bruce.

Unfortunately, a major malfunction occurred with the camera mount. This resulted in most of the footage being unusable.

I did put together this edited video that might be interesting to watch. For maximum stimulation/minimum boredom, skip to the 2:00 minute mark to see about 25 seconds of anchor dragging.

The camera mount was severely damaged during this shoot. I will re-shoot this test after I construct a new and improved camera mount.

Steve

Spelling errors:

perceptible (1:09)

substrate (2:04)

Hike Bitches!

Super Anarchist
Solomons, MD
Steve, Nice.

This is small potatoes to the work you've done. I thought the old 12# (genuine) Danforth HT from 1980 or so was getting a bit old and long in the tooth when I acquired my 4KSB in 2008, so I got a 13# West Marine special (+10' of chain), as an 'upgrade'...what a POS. I've shifted back to the genuine 12# Danforth with 20' of chain and it holds great. I never slept a wink when hanging on the WM 13#. I am going to donate it to the local sailing club to let the windward mark drag or something. :rolleyes:

If I could figure an easy way to retrieve a Spade without a bowsprit or windlass, I really like how they dig and set, and it "might" fit in the anchor locker...none of those roll bar anchors will fit.

I do have a 25# genuine CQR also..A little smaller than the 'standard' 35# and 45# I often see.. I have yet to see the need to drag this around in the boat, just yet. The 12# and 20' of chain has been adequate in the Chesapeake so far. As a kid, we cruised with that same 12# Danforth and 6' of chain and it held in many a storm.

Great vids, and keep it coming. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Panope

Super Anarchist
Port Townsend, WA
Anchor Right of Australia submitted a 48 pound SARCA Excel No. 5 anchor for testing.

This is my first and only experience with this brand of anchor. I have a fairly good sense about metal structures and my impression is that this is a very well made piece. Very robust. Nothing flimsy. Smooth finishes. Nice galvanizing.

Here is a side shot of the anchor nestled into Panope's Bow Roller. Note the down-turned toe. The anchor toe is also weighted. The Shank has a "notch" in the vicinity of the roller (not visible in pic) that prevents the anchor from moving upward too far (for my roller, this works perfectly to keep the toe from contacting the hull).

Excel%20007_zpsktpjbiak.jpg

I conducted three test videos of the Excel today. Unfortunately, the underwater anchor videos that I have shot most recently have been plagued with sediment/turbidity. Previously, I blamed this on my new technique of using forward engine thrust. I theorized that the added thrust was stirring up the bottom. I now believe that the turbidity may be seasonal (dead organic material?).

This video includes my standard 3.5 to 1 scope set and 180 degree re-set. The rode is then re-positioned to the stern and a full power forward pull is conducted.

This, and many other of my videos were uploaded in high definition. Viewing on the YouTube site with full screen may help with clarity.

Steve

Panope

Super Anarchist
Port Townsend, WA
Here is the next Excel Video. It is a repeat of the previous test (3.5 to 1) but without the stern tie/forward pull test. I was hoping for less turbidity.

Steve

IStream

Super Anarchist
Clever construction, though I'd sooner have the logo etched rather than cut into the shovel. Might as well keep the (admittedly minimal) weight and eliminate all the nooks and crannies that hold mud and must be cleaned out or foster corrosion.

Panope

Super Anarchist
Port Townsend, WA
IStream,

From the Excel web-page:

"The Excel with its combination of convex -concave design has apertures along the sides of its flukes, whilst the anchor is being set these apertures allow water to be dragged through, this further aides the movement of compressed sea bead and assists the deep setting in hard mud or clay, these apertures work in reverse on retrieval and helps to bring up a relatively clean Excel on retrieval."

Steve

IStream

Super Anarchist
IStream,

From the Excel web-page:

"The Excel with its combination of convex -concave design has apertures along the sides of its flukes, whilst the anchor is being set these apertures allow water to be dragged through, this further aides the movement of compressed sea bead and assists the deep setting in hard mud or clay, these apertures work in reverse on retrieval and helps to bring up a relatively clean Excel on retrieval."

Steve
Thanks, Steve. Though this isn't a big deal, I'm skeptical, having seen how Puget Sound mud sticks in the nooks and crannies of my anchor. Has it been coming up clean in your tests?

Panope

Super Anarchist
Port Townsend, WA
Istream, The anchor consistently comes up with a small blob of sub-strait attached to the toe with the area near (and including) the "cut outs" clean.

Here is a screen shot from the final frames of my latest video:

Excel%20Mud_zps8vzhujqp.jpg