And now there's a Gunboat 68 for sale (GB6804)

Tylo

Sweden
Aha, so GB90 "Sunshine" became "Tigerlily Too" when she changed owners? She looks great! Glad someone's spending money on her, what a design. Jaw-dropping.

Thanks for the link Vokstar, love the razor-sharp bows on Tribe. Really shows she means business.

Last edited by a moderator:

HotCarNut

Denver, CO
Sad to see Phaedo just sitting.  Has she been taken out in years?  Seems like Lloyd lost interest in her after the Transpacific dismasting.  Kind of surprised she hasn’t been offered for sale at this point.  I don’t think she’s been in a regatta in what, maybe 5 years?

vokstar

Tasmania
Aha, so GB90 "Sunshine" became "Tigerlily Too" when she changed owners? She looks great! Glad someone's spending money on her, what a design. Jaw-dropping.

Thanks for the link Vokstar, love the razor-sharp bows on Tribe. Really shows she means business.
The new decals on Tribe look amazing. It begs the question too and to get it somewhat back on topic... forgetting about price would you rather a GB66 or 68? I feel like the 66 is going to become a more iconic and lusted after boat than the 68's 

vokstar

Tasmania
Sad to see Phaedo just sitting.  Has she been taken out in years?  Seems like Lloyd lost interest in her after the Transpacific dismasting.  Kind of surprised she hasn’t been offered for sale at this point.  I don’t think she’s been in a regatta in what, maybe 5 years?
Once he got Phaedo 3 I guess it really wasn't worth beating up on the 66 just to go slower than the mod 70. Maybe things will change now he has sold (think?) Phaedo 3

HotCarNut

Denver, CO
Once he got Phaedo 3 I guess it really wasn't worth beating up on the 66 just to go slower than the mod 70. Maybe things will change now he has sold (think?) Phaedo 3
He sold the Mod 70 over a year ago I believe.  Somebody pointed it out in one of the threads here as it’s been re-wrapped/painted and has a new name.

cenejog

Hi, are multihulls of this size and Gunboat 68 especially, sailed with professional crew or can be sailed by owners. Thanks.

HotCarNut

Denver, CO
@Soma or @Greenflash are probably best qualified to answer that question.  The real question probably isn’t whether it CAN be sailed by owners (they definitely can be - Tribe was built by PJ to cruise the world with his family), but rather when should you consider bringing on professional crew (ie - regatta settings).

vokstar

Tasmania
Hi, are multihulls of this size and Gunboat 68 especially, sailed with professional crew or can be sailed by owners. Thanks.
They are crewed, it's not that it couldn't be sailed without a crew, the typical reason for having a crew is to ensure that it maintained to a high standard and just all the other odd's and sods that need doing that are unpleasant like looking after the waste water and what not. 

mpenman

Pompano Beach
She's not racing, but she is also not sitting. Still sailing a fair bit, just not the racing that was normally done. Boat looks great and her captain keeps her in Bristol condition.

Many of the larger cats are crewed, but there are some that prefer to manage a boat without a crew simply because it's what they enjoy.

robalex117

Super Anarchist
@Soma or @Greenflash are probably best qualified to answer that question.  The real question probably isn’t whether it CAN be sailed by owners (they definitely can be - Tribe was built by PJ to cruise the world with his family), but rather when should you consider bringing on professional crew (ie - regatta settings).
As a past owner of a Gunboat this is the issue/need for crew.  Most people who can afford a gunboat have other things going on with their lives and will not dedicate all their time to the boat.  Sailing is the easy and fun part.  Keeping everything working at 100% and the boat clean clean and tidy is what takes all the time.    Think of it this way.  Most boats like this have 1 or usually two full time crew.   That is their full time job. If you were owner operator how to you do it all yourself.  I guess it is possible but if you do it then that is your full time job and not much time for anything else.  I have done many passages without paid crew.  Super easy.  But keeping everything working is the hard part.

jmh2002

^^^ this.  And expanding on that theme further regarding even mundane tasks - do most people who can afford a Gunboat clean their own house, toilets, showers, do laundry, etc, etc? Some yes, of course, but many at that level of life would have a cleaner/service to do a lot of those types of tasks.

So even if the sailing side appeals, and even the more technical side of operating the boat too, there is still the mundane everyday 'running the household' type of tasks to do on a boat too - which probably won't appeal so much!  :D

HotCarNut

Denver, CO
As a past owner of a Gunboat this is the issue/need for crew.  Most people who can afford a gunboat have other things going on with their lives and will not dedicate all their time to the boat.  Sailing is the easy and fun part.  Keeping everything working at 100% and the boat clean clean and tidy is what takes all the time.    Think of it this way.  Most boats like this have 1 or usually two full time crew.   That is their full time job. If you were owner operator how to you do it all yourself.  I guess it is possible but if you do it then that is your full time job and not much time for anything else.  I have done many passages without paid crew.  Super easy.  But keeping everything working is the hard part.
Interesting point.  Given demands on time, even for “semi-retired” ultra-wealthy folks, I can imagine crew is basically a necessity.  As complex as these boats are, the upkeep has to be a pain in the ass a magnitude or two above and beyond simpler and more affordable catamarans.

NZK

Anarchist
Roaming
Interesting point.  Given demands on time, even for “semi-retired” ultra-wealthy folks, I can imagine crew is basically a necessity.  As complex as these boats are, the upkeep has to be a pain in the ass a magnitude or two above and beyond simpler and more affordable catamarans.
Indeed - without constant maintenance a lot of stuff just stops working. It's also about maintaining the market value of the yacht - if it isn't looked after then the value slips from top dollar. Plus, crew get the boat places. Some owners enjoy delivery trips but most do not (some think they do, then find out quite quickly they do not). I know a couple of the GBs used to do pretty lengthy deliveries with just the two regular crew (pretty sure Soma was one of these). We used to run with 4 on the 66 for offshore/ocean passages. 

Concerning 68.04 - there are many owners within the 'superyacht' fleet that build a boat and almost immediately put it on the market. By the time it sells they usually have a couple of seasons under their belt and then they can move onto their next project - it's often the design and build process that is of most interest to them. So I wouldn't read too much into this one being listed so soon...

Ruminator

Florida
As the lyric goes: "... slave & master at the same damn time..."

HotCarNut

Denver, CO
And now there's a GB55 (hull #09) for sale (again) not even 3 months after it sold previously....

Oh, and with a higher price tag...  I guess flipping homes is passé?

2015 Gunboat GUNBOAT 55 Catamaran for sale - YachtWorld
Not to completely hijack the thread, but weren’t all of the late 55s actually 57s?  I thought they extended the transom on all of the hulls to try and combat the “stern down” effect because the boat came in way over target weight..

Latest posts