And now there's a Gunboat 68 for sale (GB6804)

Ruminator

Florida
Certainly apologies are not necessary when 'Anarchy' is in the title...

But you bring up an interesting question.  And I'm not sure they all were (supposition here).  Strongly recommended; yes.  By default; I think not.

GB website still delineates both the 55 and 57 as different 'models'.

The 57's that have come up for sale leveraged a lot of verbiage about who was involved in the mods (= higher asking price).

And with all due respect to Mr. Irens, one would hope that a transom extension would do away with that chunky look.  I mean if your playing with CF why have that truncated look?

Others may know more definitively.

HotCarNut

Denver, CO
Certainly apologies are not necessary when 'Anarchy' is in the title...

But you bring up an interesting question.  And I'm not sure they all were (supposition here).  Strongly recommended; yes.  By default; I think not.

GB website still delineates both the 55 and 57 as different 'models'.

The 57's that have come up for sale leveraged a lot of verbiage about who was involved in the mods (= higher asking price).

And with all due respect to Mr. Irens, one would hope that a transom extension would do away with that chunky look.  I mean if your playing with CF why have that truncated look?

Others may know more definitively.
Hmmm..I know a couple of the early boats, including the infamous Rainmaker, were 55s. Not sure which was the first 57 conversion and whether that was made permanent in the series.

@Soma or @Greenflash - can you answer?

Happy Wolf

Ultra wealthy me: gee I can go buy this GB right now for an eye-watering sum.  Or I can buy 2 or 3 _________________________ (insert any other current brand offering similar sized catamarans) and wait 12-months (ish) for delivery.

Also ultra wealthy me:  dangnabbit gonna go buy me 2 of 'dem Dazcat 1895's and pocket the other $4 million in change!

To be fair, I have no blazing clue what a GB68 is really worth.  So grab your favorite adult beverage and let's watch either a.) the price reductions or b.) the quick sale to someone.
By the way, does anyone have details of plans to build the Dazcat 1895 ?

Tylo

Sweden
For those who think $11m is a little on the expensive side, GB66 "Moondoggie" is now for sale at $4,5m:

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/2009-gunboat-performance-cruising-catamaran-8166254/

Curiously they aren't selling it through the Gunboat brokerage so there's a distinct lack of information in the ad.
Interesting that one engine has more than twice the hours of the other, but maybe it's just that they have the watermaker or high-output alternator on that engine or something like that.

HotCarNut

Denver, CO
Looks like the listing for 6804 is no longer on Yachtworld. Anybody know if it sold, and if so at what price? Curious given the $4.9M asking price for Moondoggie…

KC375

Super Anarchist
Northern Hemisphere
For those who think $11m is a little on the expensive side, GB66 "Moondoggie" is now for sale at $4,5m:

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/2009-gunboat-performance-cruising-catamaran-8166254/

Curiously they aren't selling it through the Gunboat brokerage so there's a distinct lack of information in the ad.
Interesting that one engine has more than twice the hours of the other, but maybe it's just that they have the watermaker or high-output alternator on that engine or something like that.

David McCollough McCollough Yachts LLC 559 Thames Street, 2nd Floor Newport, RI 02840 Office: 401-314-9503 Cell: 401-864-9305 [email protected]  _____________________________ This yacht is subject to a listing agreement with Chandlery Yacht Sales. McCollough Yachts LLC is providing this information in an effort to represent you, as a buyer, in the purchase of this vessel.

Tylo

Sweden
  David McCollough McCollough Yachts LLC 559 Thames Street, 2nd Floor Newport, RI 02840 Office: 401-314-9503 Cell: 401-864-9305 [email protected]  _____________________________ This yacht is subject to a listing agreement with Chandlery Yacht Sales. McCollough Yachts LLC is providing this information in an effort to represent you, as a buyer, in the purchase of this vessel.

Sorry KC375, I'm not overly familiar with what that means but I went to the Chandlery Yacht Sales as soon as I found the ad on Yachtworld. Unfortunately they just use that hideous embedded version of Yachtworld so the listing on their site is exactly the same as the one on Yachtworld itself.

eastern motors

Anarchist
Sorry KC375, I'm not overly familiar with what that means but I went to the Chandlery Yacht Sales as soon as I found the ad on Yachtworld. Unfortunately they just use that hideous embedded version of Yachtworld so the listing on their site is exactly the same as the one on Yachtworld itself.
It means the seller's agent is also interested in representing the buyer to double their commission.  Probably a bad idea in a multimillion dollar deal.

vokstar

Tasmania
steelmadesteamer said:
Recent French "brand owners" hardly know something about SA built GB better than actual boat Owners.

Moondoggie Owners have also previously owned 66-02 and guess they got their experience whom to sell their boats through. 

It would be also interesting to see these particular GB lovers NEXT boat!
I did find it interesting the timing of putting Moondoggie on the market, the owners have really done some amazing voyages with it though. One of their crew did a really cool vid of their adventures north, I think he used to have a walk around of the boat too but that might've been removed. 

Thinking what their next boat might be.. 6805's paint is a similar colour to Moondoggie... could it be the newbie?

https://www.gunboat.com/6805paint/

ProaSailor

dreaming my life away...
Oregon
Thinking what their next boat might be.. 6805's paint is a similar colour to Moondoggie... could it be the newbie?

Sweet!

2021-11-05_Gunboat-6805_Paint-Reveal_WJ10.jpg

vokstar

Tasmania
On 12/28/2021 at 2:59 PM, vokstar said:

I did find it interesting the timing of putting Moondoggie on the market, the owners have really done some amazing voyages with it though. One of their crew did a really cool vid of their adventures north, I think he used to have a walk around of the boat too but that might've been removed. 

mpenman

Pompano Beach
Did wonder what flag that was, other than tax benefits what are the other advantages of registering in the Marshall islands?
Right now it's damn near impossible to get reasonable insurance for boats valued north of 3MM in the US and then the delivery requirements border on absurd.

Know of at least 5 owners of larger multihulls that have switched from being US flagged to international flagged vessels.

Marshall islands is a good registration place. Can also get a US cruising permit with that flag. Don't need a survey either if my memory holds.

vokstar

Tasmania
Right now it's damn near impossible to get reasonable insurance for boats valued north of 3MM in the US and then the delivery requirements border on absurd.

Know of at least 5 owners of larger multihulls that have switched from being US flagged to international flagged vessels.

Marshall islands is a good registration place. Can also get a US cruising permit with that flag. Don't need a survey either if my memory holds.
Cool beans thanks for the the answer makes a hell of a lot o sense, the survey thing though would want to check out a boat very carefully if you was buying one that is Marshall island flagged, not that I would expect much trouble from this one though. Much appreciated Cheers. 

Tylo

Sweden
To get it somewhat back onto topic, ignoring price and availability, would you rather a 66 or a 68?
Tough call but I think I'd go for a 68, I'm a sucker for reverse bows and I think the 68 looks absolutely mega in general. Also, without actually knowing much about the subject, I like to think we've come some way in the design and engineering of boats like this in the last 10 years.

According to GB's website the 66 is some 15% lighter but I imagine that varies a lot on a boat-by-boat basis with these semi-custom vessels. More sail on the 68 to compensate perhaps? The mast clearance is taller.

If I won the lottery tomorrow I'd probably have a 68 painted in Audi's "Nardo Gray" color with the 5-cabin layout, performance rig and Outremer/TS-style tillers aft in addition to the inside wheel.
It's fun to dream!

mpenman

Pompano Beach
66 GB. not even frigging close. I doubt that anyone will ever design a better looking boat. This is strictly the exterior aesthetics. They just look damn sexy. GB68 is no doubt a sexy beast, but it's trying hard to be. The 66, just walks in, and is drop dead perfect.

Phaedo kicked a little tail around St Barth's I hear......

vokstar

Tasmania
It would be a tough call, agree that the 66 is a fine looking thing but so is the 68 in my eyes. TBH not sure you would be hellishly disappointed having either though. 

karst

68 over the 66. 4 NICE cabins, dope forward cockpit, sleek, more beam. Not as much bridgedeck clearance and less interior volume/shorter bridgedeck, but plenty of room despite. 

Latest posts