And now there's a Gunboat 68 for sale (GB6804)

robalex117

Super Anarchist
Care to expand on this please? :)
When racing you are pushing the boat.  As a past owner and very active in sailing the boat it was never fun to push the boat in the ocean.  Flat water sure have at it, but when there is wind eventually there will be waves.  The Gunboats are cruising boats.  Everybody saw the rib on the back on the Tosca.  Yes they are light compared to other cruising cats but not compared to race boats like the Mod 70's, Comanche and the TP52.  If you push it you will break it.    Loved racing inshore but offshore not so much.   Interesting quote by the navigator of Comanche in the image below. Saying away from the big seas.

Screen Shot 2022-01-11 at 2.03.12 PM.png

Last edited by a moderator:

jmh2002

When racing you are pushing the boat.  As a past owner and very active in sailing the boat it was never fun to push the boat in the ocean.  Flat water sure have at it, but when there is wind eventually there will be waves.  
Yep, familiar with racing, and pushing, but I'm interested in your personal experience with the Gunboat and appreciate your comments.

Do you mean you felt unsafe? Or more a fear of damaging the boat when pushing out in the ocean? Or both... 

Tylo

Sweden
I don't think I'd take my $$ million cruising yacht to go ocean racing if I had one.
I applaud the owners who do but damn, that's a rough environment for any boat let alone a luxury cruiser.

Do you mean you felt unsafe? Or more a fear of damaging the boat when pushing out in the ocean? Or both... 
I don't know why it would feel more unsafe than any other performance multihull in an ocean race. Probably that superficial damage to a boat like that or it's systems is expensive and not a fun risk to take. I'd be very surprised if there were any worries about structural issues though.

robalex117

Super Anarchist
Yep, familiar with racing, and pushing, but I'm interested in your personal experience with the Gunboat and appreciate your comments.

A little of both. Going down waves at 20+ knots can be a little scary at night.  Note we always sailed with amateur crew not including boat captain.   I remember one night it was crew plus me and my wife and another passenger sailing on a close close reach and it was just painful.  Boat wanted to go 14+ into the waves and we did not!  It was painful, felt like the boat was going to break apart pounding almost upwind.  Ended up reefing way way down and just puttered along at 10 knots.  Something that would not be done during a race.  

robalex117

Super Anarchist
I don't think I'd take my $$ million cruising yacht to go ocean racing if I had one.
I applaud the owners who do but damn, that's a rough environment for any boat let alone a luxury cruiser.

I don't know why it would feel more unsafe than any other performance multihull in an ocean race. Probably that superficial damage to a boat like that or it's systems is expensive and not a fun risk to take. I'd be very surprised if there were any worries about structural issues though.
Exactly very rough environment for a expensive cruiser to push during a race.

Difference is the Mod 70's are super light and really made for ocean racing.  Gunboats are light but not that light and they were made for cruising.   Air Conditioning, multiple fridges and freezers, engines, generator , and rib all add up.  Yes the accommodations are made of carbon and super light but lots of other stuff aboard.

Tylo

Sweden
It'll be interesting to hear what's up with Tosca.
Nothing on RORC Twitter or AT instagram. They're making good speed which confuses me, over 15 knots most of the day.

Seems a little fast for "limp home mode" even for a Gunboat.

jmh2002

Ok thanks for the comments. So if I understand correctly it's really just the similar concerns of any fast boat travelling at speed in a seaway, and not really a Gunboat specific issue?

And maybe also more of a concern because it was your nice cruising boat, and you didn't want to overly thrash it, and trash it? 

That's understandable, and less of a concern on a pure racing boat, that is built to be thrashed, which is I guess also what you were alluding to.

Yeah, 10kn boatspeed seems to be about the sweet spot to throttle back to in cruise mode when the conditions warrant it.

Thanks for your input from an Gunboat owner's perspective  :)

Latest posts