And now there's a Gunboat 68 for sale (GB6804)

jmh2002

Yeah, Alex Thomson sure seems to be 'unlucky' in many of his endeavours. But in yacht racing you also make your own luck so after a lot of years of him being 'unlucky' one starts to wonder how much of this is self inflicted...

Last edited by a moderator:

Zonker

Super Anarchist
Canada
My wife kept reminding me "This is our home" when the boat was going a bit fast for her comfort level.

In the Seychelles we sailing around the leeward tip of an island, went from downwind fast in the trades with full sail, to beating into the anchorage. The boat was doing 12 knots in flat water screaming into the anchorage. Probably was blowing 20-25. Boat was OK, wife was not happy, but I didn't ease off until we were about 100m from the nearest boat and started furling the genoa. I was having too much fun.

Normally our "happy" upwind speed was 7-8 knots, a bit more in flattish water.

mpenman

Pompano Beach
My wife kept reminding me "This is our home" when the boat was going a bit fast for her comfort level.

In the Seychelles we sailing around the leeward tip of an island, went from downwind fast in the trades with full sail, to beating into the anchorage. The boat was doing 12 knots in flat water screaming into the anchorage. Probably was blowing 20-25. Boat was OK, wife was not happy, but I didn't ease off until we were about 100m from the nearest boat and started furling the genoa. I was having too much fun.

Normally our "happy" upwind speed was 7-8 knots, a bit more in flattish water.
Sometimes for a little fun, you have to sleep on the outside bunk ;)

Zonker

Super Anarchist
Canada
Total speculation:  Unless its one of them fancy weight saving distributed systems? Lots of CPUs?

Old fashioned wires/breakers can probably take a bit of a soaking. Give them a quick rinse, then splash some alcohol on them to promote drying and you're OK

bushsailor

Anarchist
QLD Australia
My guess is they took a wave through the front cockpit setup with the door open and shut down the whole instrument system. And I agree it would be one of those fancy systems.

mpenman

Pompano Beach
Total speculation:  Unless its one of them fancy weight saving distributed systems? Lots of CPUs?

Old fashioned wires/breakers can probably take a bit of a soaking. Give them a quick rinse, then splash some alcohol on them to promote drying and you're OK
We have czone, boat would have to be underwater for there to be a problem. Everything on cZone can be bypassed too. It's still an electrical connection. Has to be something else. Too many other 68's cruising around with nary a problem.

karst

Driving’s got nothing to do with interviews. Everything ended up fine. 

JAMMY

A little of both. Going down waves at 20+ knots can be a little scary at night.  Note we always sailed with amateur crew not including boat captain.   I remember one night it was crew plus me and my wife and another passenger sailing on a close close reach and it was just painful.  Boat wanted to go 14+ into the waves and we did not!  It was painful, felt like the boat was going to break apart pounding almost upwind.  Ended up reefing way way down and just puttered along at 10 knots.  Something that would not be done during a race.  
Right on point Rob. My offshore cruising night mode is to not allow speeds over 12, maybe 15 downwind.  I want a rested crew, always. Cruising ain’t racing. 

loop

farr out
grafik.png

looking forward to learning the details of what actually happened .....

boardhead

Anarchist
So if the top 0.1% (1 in a 1000) would have to shell out 25% of their net worth to own a 68' sailboat (a foolish investment by somebody who apparently ain't that stupid) that speaks either to the rarity of the client (lots of other things to spend your money on) or the sad current value of a Yankee Dollar. 

robalex117

Super Anarchist
Add a 68.  I think this is hull #1.  Copied from GB Facebook

New Brokerage Listing
26f5.png

Jump on the chance to own a Gunboat 68!

The Highland Fling program is handing over the helm to shift their full attention to the completion of their new Gunboat 80.

Contact [email protected] for details!

#gunboat #sailing #yachtforsale #gunboatbrokerage

vokstar

Tasmania
Add a 68.  I think this is hull #1.  Copied from GB Facebook

New Brokerage Listing
Jump on the chance to own a Gunboat 68!

The Highland Fling program is handing over the helm to shift their full attention to the completion of their new Gunboat 80.

Contact [email protected] for details!

#gunboat #sailing #yachtforsale #gunboatbrokerage
Yeh it was Condor, they did some mods to it, like outside helm stations.. It would be nice to have the money to do what they are doing... 

Latest posts