And now there's a Gunboat 68 for sale (GB6804)

Student_Driver

Super Anarchist
Darien
I did not see a price listed on the YW web site for the GB 68. Are they asking 10 million? 

There's an HH66 available for $2.9MM. Don't think I like the GB68 3 times as much as the HH66

Last edited by a moderator:

vokstar

Tasmania
I did not see a price listed on the YW web site for the GB 68. Are they asking 10 million? 

There's an HH66 available for $2.9MM. Don't think I like the GB68 3 times as much as the HH66
Different boat, that was GB6804, the one on YW now is GB6801 that has been updated after being sold by it's first owner to it's current owner who is selling because they are buying a GB80. 

Incidentally if the HH66 you are talking about is the one in the link below.. and I know that taste and aesthetics is a very personal thing... I literally gasped when I saw the interior shots of that boat, it is fugly to say the least. Also it has one hull for the owner so can't sleep as many people as a GB68.

https://au.yachtworld.com/yacht/2016-hh-catamarans-hh66-7690803/

garland823

typical buyer of a 5-10mln boat.... what do they do for a living ?

genuinely curious so I can have a shot at this gunboat dream haha 
You don't make that kind of a living on salary, that's for sure. Start a tech company or go pro in a sport that isn't sailing.

Student_Driver

Super Anarchist
Darien
Different boat, that was GB6804, the one on YW now is GB6801 that has been updated after being sold by it's first owner to it's current owner who is selling because they are buying a GB80. 

Incidentally if the HH66 you are talking about is the one in the link below.. and I know that taste and aesthetics is a very personal thing... I literally gasped when I saw the interior shots of that boat, it is fugly to say the least. Also it has one hull for the owner so can't sleep as many people as a GB68.

https://au.yachtworld.com/yacht/2016-hh-catamarans-hh66-7690803/
The red sofa in the salon and red accents are tough on the eyes... but, I still think that (were I a buyer), I would buy the HH, spend a few bucks on interior and put the 4#MM that I saved into something important like Caviar and Champagne.

vokstar

Tasmania
The red sofa in the salon and red accents are tough on the eyes... but, I still think that (were I a buyer), I would buy the HH, spend a few bucks on interior and put the 4#MM that I saved into something important like Caviar and Champagne.
It did get me thinking, why not go for an Outremer? Ok not as nice inside but similar layout and more of a production boat so potentially easier to get bibs and bobs for it. And cheaper so could for the same price as the HH buy one second hand and the cash into sailing the damn thing. That HH has been on the market for quite some time though I think? One of the benefits of GB's is they tend to have a pretty quick turn around on the second hand market. 

vokstar

Tasmania
Cool vid of onboard a GB68 and some interesting talk about quality of boats. And a nice discussion about do you really want a fast boat... 

mpenman

Pompano Beach
Construction is the most misunderstood and most overlooked piece in these type of boats.

Doing this in production is not easy. 80k man hours is the norm for a boat of this caliber.

To build a boat of this caliber you need to do it on time and materials. Anything else leads to shortcuts.

Shane is a man that can practically do anything.  He needs to take a ride on Skylark with the crew that regularly does 300 plus day passages in the Caribbean with a husband and wife crew. Beating at 16-20 knots in anything less than 45 AWA is a true beat. 

Construction is important. We have this impression that China/South Africa are much, much cheaper and better, but that simply is not true once you factor in long term maintenance on a high performance boat.

...and if your doors don't close, you got a crappy build, no other way around it.

Last edited by a moderator:

steelmadesteamer

Latvia
 that speaks either to

1) the rarity of the client (lots of other things to spend your money on)

or

2) the sad current value of a Yankee Dollar. 

Can this picture help?  :rolleyes:

(last 10 years  money supply as per FED)

0.jpg

mpenman

Pompano Beach
Shane and I sailed against Tosca during Antigua Race Week. Shane developed legend status taking a crew of 10 kids, 5 adults to two bullets in the multihull division.

Ken and Alex are consummate professionals who have their boat simply dialed in. They had perfect sail picks and were easily flying a hull in 12knots. They were seriously quick. They were also incredibly nice with the kids and showed them everything that they were doing to go fast. 

The folks at Antigua Race Week did an incredible job post Covid. I don't think that there was a single boat that is not going back next season.

The irony is Shane is taking Tosca back to the Med.

Tylo

Sweden
And then there was 3... interesting that they are asking more money that Moondoggie and interesting that there are 3 66's on the market and what that might mean for sales of 68's

Man the 66's are cool boats.

Is this a non-turbo'd 66? I don't see any boards poking up out of the hulls. Or maybe it is turbo'd since it had a new mast in 2017.
This is ex Sugar Daddy right? Half a mil premium over Moondoggie...

vokstar

Tasmania
I think all the 66's pretty much have been "turbo'ed" to a certain degree, maybe not as much as extreme but different masts and boards.

According to the site below it was 66-02 Outnumbered (ex Flash, (ex-Panthera, ex-Mayhem, ex-Sugar Daddy first to circumnavigate)

That Atlantic 72 is a fine looking thing, but seems a bit on the pricey side maybe?

mpenman

Pompano Beach
I'm not sure that Tosca was ever really for sale. Ken and Alex have a pretty heavy winter schedule.
There is another off market 68 that I believe is changing hands, but may not have ever gotten listed.

That Atlantic 72 is a fine looking thing, but seems a bit on the pricey side maybe?

To answer your question boats have certainly jumped in price. The amount of labor is in the 60-80k hour range. There is just so much work. Then you add in mast, booms, longeron, forward cross beam, componentry, electrical etc. and it gets really pricey. Sails are frigging expensive now, even triradial hydranet!!! Maybe @Greenflash can chime in, but I'll bet that the new 68's are no less expensive. I know some of the build costs of the 68's and they're north of 11MM.

Whilst GB and I may politely disagree, they're still uniquely different boats. Ours is not meant to race but live off grid very, very comfortably. It is a singlehanded boat if you would like it to be. GB's are quicker around the course, but not by much if we decide to throw off some cruising stuff and get our starboard board fixed. Tosca for example has huge boards, a much larger sail inventory, and is built for racing. We happen to race but as a by product of cruising. They happen to cruise as a byproduct of racing.

We carry two dinghies;)

Both boats IMHO are the best of breed currently in this type of sailing boat. Nothing else comes close, even if they claim to do.

Last edited:

vokstar

Tasmania
I'm not sure that Tosca was ever really for sale. Ken and Alex have a pretty heavy winter schedule.
There is another off market 68 that I believe is changing hands, but may not have ever gotten listed.

To answer your question boats have certainly jumped in price. The amount of labor is in the 60-80k hour range. There is just so much work. Then you add in mast, booms, longeron, forward cross beam, componentry, electrical etc. and it gets really pricey. Sails are frigging expensive now, even triradial hydranet!!! Maybe @Greenflash can chime in, but I'll bet that the new 68's are no less expensive. I know some of the build costs of the 68's and they're north of 11MM.

Whilst GB and I may politely disagree, they're still uniquely different boats. Ours is not meant to race but live off grid very, very comfortably. It is a singlehanded boat if you would like it to be. GB's are quicker around the course, but not by much if we decide to throw off some cruising stuff and get our starboard board fixed. Tosca for example has huge boards, a much larger sail inventory, and is built for racing. We happen to race but as a by product of cruising. They happen to cruise as a byproduct of racing.

We carry two dinghies;)

Both boats IMHO are the best of breed currently in this type of sailing boat. Nothing else comes close, even if they claim to do.
Good point on the build costs, not sure it is still a thing but I did hear that carbon was in short supply because so much was being used in aviation. I think it was said here that the person who bought the first 68 got a great deal (this was in part to some other things) but just looking at the 68's can see they are an expensive bit of kit, not that an Atlantic 72 looks like it's cheaply made either.

I think this bit "We happen to race but as a by product of cruising. They happen to cruise as a by product of racing." probably sums up the differences between the boats best, it's a bit of a horses for courses thing what one you would go for.

karst

I’d argue HH is in that neighborhood. I’ve sailed quite a bit on Nemo and can attest that it’s a great boat. BTW-as of today HH6604 ”Flash” is for sale...great boat. I’d rather have Flash for the money to be honest.

mpenman

Pompano Beach
I’d argue HH is in that neighborhood. I’ve sailed quite a bit on Nemo and can attest that it’s a great boat. BTW-as of today HH6604 ”Flash” is for sale...great boat. I’d rather have Flash for the money to be honest.
I'd take that argument :). Flash is a good boat. Have not seen Nemo yet. Was the fact that Chris swallowed the hook a reason for Flash going on the market?

vokstar

Tasmania
Saw on the Gunboat site that there is at least 2 of every model in build including that 72V, 6807 is about to start infusion and 6806 is getting a paintjob.

Moondoggie Has had another price reduction, this time 200k USD. Bargain at 2,995,000 USD