Annapolis Performance Sailing - OFFICIALLY DEAD

trimfast

Anarchist
JimBowie said:
Come on fella...like Scooter says...buy an ad!  You think his blow for A4 crew is getting cheaper?
No reason for an ad. Don't work there. The news is that a store most people have bought something at over the 25+ years is closing. It was a courtesy to let others know they have a sale if you need anything.

Alaris

Super Anarchist
Maryland
Writing was on the wall when they went to all apparel. Alienated a lot of customers who have now found other sources for what they need.

kent_island_sailor

Super Anarchist
Kent Island!
So the conversion to a tourist clothing boutique store way out in Eastport failed? Wow - who knew THAT could happen :rolleyes: There is an opportunity here though - that building is within walking distance of one of the biggest concentrations of racing sailboats anyplace south of Newport. I bet if you sold sailboat hardware out of that building you would have a lot of customers ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Slick470

Super Anarchist
Virginia
from their Facebook page: 

It is with much sadness that we are announcing the permanent closing of APS. Unfortunately, we are unable to bear the burden of the losses caused by the COVID-19 crisis. We want to first and foremost thank you, our customers, for your continued support throughout our 29 years of business. 2020 was our first year under the new model of exclusively retailing foul weather gear and sailing apparel. The ability to focus all or our creative energies on, and share our knowledge of technical sailing gear is something that allows a specialty retailer like APS to provide an outstanding value. Both January and February were a strong start, with increased sales that exceeded our projections handsomely. In the midst of a new store build out and many other new initiatives, APS’ new model was on the path to full realization. Unfortunately, nothing could have prepared us for the new reality of COVID-19, something many small businesses are now facing. Since Maryland's order to close all non-essential businesses, APS’ operations have been shuttered and all employees furloughed.  We have been processing the few orders we receive online twice a week for a few hours, but other than that we have been closed, and with very minimal cash flow.  With the costs incurred from properly transitioning the company to the new sales model last fall, and a closure forced right at the end of the off season (when funds are low and accumulated off season costs are highest), the financial realities have become too much, and drastic action is required in order to protect all parties to APS’ business. Sadly, APS will be permanently closing, and all inventories liquidated by way of an online sale. We would like to thank our customers and vendors, who we have so enjoyed serving and working with.  The sport of sailing and the sailing industry is full of wonderful people that make it a special place to work and play. 
Most sincerely, and with gratitude,
Kyle E. Gross
Founder, Owner and President, APS Ltd.

Alaris

Super Anarchist
Maryland
I just went looking to see if I could get any deals on foulies as mine are a bit less than watertight. Their “30% off” prices are about 5% less than manufacturers like Musto will sell direct at full price. 

I liked APS when they were a real chandlery. I worked there as a kid. But I don’t have much emotion to spare them given the way they have changed over the last few years. 

bgytr

Super Anarchist
So the conversion to a tourist clothing boutique store way out in Eastport failed? Wow - who knew THAT could happen :rolleyes: There is an opportunity here though - that building is within walking distance of one of the biggest concentrations of racing sailboats anyplace south of Newport. I bet if you sold sailboat hardware out of that building you would have a lot of customers ;)
Except if they couldn't make it as a specialty retail shop in one of the busiest sailing towns right in town with no other chandleries there, that tells ya something.  Remember Fawcetts, Viking and JT's, same thing...

C&C29er

Even without COVID 19 this was expected.
Unfortunately so.  I was puzzled why they got out of the hardware and rigging business which they were so good at, and got into a market where everyone was a competitor.  Boating biz needs to move back to basics - do what you can do well and be a little patient if you can.  

AnotherSailor

Super Anarchist
SF Bay
Unfortunately so.  I was puzzled why they got out of the hardware and rigging business which they were so good at, and got into a market where everyone was a competitor.  Boating biz needs to move back to basics - do what you can do well and be a little patient if you can.  
Although I am not familiar with their financial situation before the move to a clothing store that was exactly my thought. If they could not make it as a damned good "hardware and rigging business" as you aptly put it, then there is no way in the world they could make it selling foulies.

Sisu3360

Anarchist
I was an APS customer for 20 years, right up until they stopped selling the stuff I wanted to buy from them.

jesposito

Super Anarchist
from their Facebook page: 

It is with much sadness that we are announcing the permanent closing of APS. Unfortunately, we are unable to bear the burden of the losses caused by the COVID-19 crisis. We want to first and foremost thank you, our customers, for your continued support throughout our 29 years of business. 2020 was our first year under the new model of exclusively retailing foul weather gear and sailing apparel. The ability to focus all or our creative energies on, and share our knowledge of technical sailing gear is something that allows a specialty retailer like APS to provide an outstanding value. Both January and February were a strong start, with increased sales that exceeded our projections handsomely. In the midst of a new store build out and many other new initiatives, APS’ new model was on the path to full realization. Unfortunately, nothing could have prepared us for the new reality of COVID-19, something many small businesses are now facing. Since Maryland's order to close all non-essential businesses, APS’ operations have been shuttered and all employees furloughed.  We have been processing the few orders we receive online twice a week for a few hours, but other than that we have been closed, and with very minimal cash flow.  With the costs incurred from properly transitioning the company to the new sales model last fall, and a closure forced right at the end of the off season (when funds are low and accumulated off season costs are highest), the financial realities have become too much, and drastic action is required in order to protect all parties to APS’ business. Sadly, APS will be permanently closing, and all inventories liquidated by way of an online sale. We would like to thank our customers and vendors, who we have so enjoyed serving and working with.  The sport of sailing and the sailing industry is full of wonderful people that make it a special place to work and play. 
Most sincerely, and with gratitude,
Kyle E. Gross
Founder, Owner and President, APS Ltd.
Thank the "STAY CLOSED" Democrats 

kent_island_sailor

Super Anarchist
Kent Island!
Thank the "STAY CLOSED" Democrats 
Bullshit. If you can't stay in business selling racing tires, carbs, oil filters, and sparkplugs with the only store on the grounds of Daytona Speedway, you sure as hell aren't going to stay in business selling hats and shirts.

Latest posts