another evergreen containership runs aground, this time in Chesapeake bay near Baltimore

fastyacht

Super Anarchist
Windage

Plus, she's riding high because of all the containers they offloaded.
how many did they offload? I think she was pretty high before she ran aground. All the numbers I ran upthread were based on numbers others had stated against her loadline....I don't think she was anywhere near her plimsoll before running aground.

slap

Super Anarchist
Somewhat near Naptown
You can see the spaces left from removing the containers from the ship:

ever_forward-2.jpg

bgytr

Super Anarchist
Windage

Plus, she's riding high because of all the containers they offloaded.
In the pic there's 5 knots of wind.  Ships lay to the current, not wind.  Look at the flag, the wind direction is from the port beam.

fastyacht

Super Anarchist
Going back througj it lookkd like 13 m was her pre stranding draft. The bow in tje stranding is so high the lowere end of the draftmarks is out. The stern didnt lift and may have immersed firther, looking at photos uptjread compared with slap's new ones.

They removed 500 boxes. So 5000 tons. I estimated 114 tonne per cm. So about 44 cm. So she draws 12.56 after removing.

Looked like bow had more than a metre of lift. But at plimsoll might have been only half a metre. Hard to tell.

However that would make sense.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rasputin22

Rasputin22
Does anyone really pay any attention to Plimsole marks? I have come up with a design for those marks that would garner more attention.

Plimsol-Mark.jpg

Bump-n-Grind

Get off my lawn.
Chesapeake Bay/Vail
so she came down the bay, anchored in Hampton Roads for a night, then moved out to off of VA beach for a night, now ...  image.png

SHe have several opportunities in these parts to beach herself again .... 

AnotherSailor

Super Anarchist
SF Bay
It seems that no repairs were needed to the steering system, which might tell us something about what was not the cause of the mishap?

It probably was an act of God, and they are still figuring out which god was responsible.