Another Interesting Home Built Steel Boat

RKoch

Super Anarchist
da 'burg
1. Cool thread.

2. I really wanted to like that hull, he's trying something different.

3. It's possible that I'm completely missing his design approach here, and I hope I'm wrong, but it seems to be a disaster in the making based on what I saw in video. He seems to assume that the come-alongs will prevent the hull from spreading and the thwarts will prevent the hull from collapsing. But those thwarts seem pretty anemic, and they don't offer any support against the hydraulic pressure below them.

A good steel hull should look like the outside of a steel swimming pool, the pressures are similar, the cross members distribute the forces as monocoque. That poor hull looks like each steel panel is going to have to fend for itself, with most of the the compressive force going to the welds. It seems the steel version of the Flyin' Hawaiian.
It IS the steel version of the Flyin' Hawaiian. Except HotRod at least made some drawings (presumably), and it did float somewhat on its lines. This boat, I doubt that's the case.

Sail4beer

Super Anarchist
Toms River,NJ
33 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

It will be close enough to shore that it will make the Flipper look like a success.

Keep in mind that he said “beautiful” at :14 and I stopped my empathy therapy session.  

“You be the judge and bid accordingly”

Nice poochie, though. Good therapy right there!

BC7C9DC9-65EE-4DBE-BDA8-562F52636EE4.jpeg

DB2BF0A6-F3DB-4ABE-B937-DED7A8A69DB8.jpeg

Lark

Supper Anarchist
Ohio
Will his lightly framed hull sitting on blocks survive his plan of testing for leaks by adding 15000 -20000 pounds of water?   Displacement done in my head, so just a rough guess if he filled it to 15 or 18 inches,   I couldn’t tell how high he pointed in his summary info video.

Windward

Super Anarchist
Yes, filling it with water will certainly be a test.

Depending on how high up he fills it, could be the end of this video series.  I hope not.

Hotrod floated for a year in Richardson Bay IIR before his ill fated nose out into the Pacific.

Tin Can got most of the way down the coast of CA before a chafe on the mainsheet doomed his mission.

1000 day certainly was a lark.  Good times that was.  (and introduced us to MikeWof!)

How many others?  Loads I bet.

I'm enjoying following the Arabella guys as well as Leo in the wood boat department.  Good times.

Bring 'em on I say.

Lark

Supper Anarchist
Ohio
Absolutely.   I’d stumbled across a couple SA postings on small boats of interest, but nothing really caught me until the mad Russian drifted for weeks on his San Juan 24.  I’ve been hanging out sense.    I read Hotrod after the fact.  I have no concerns about manifestly unsafe voyages by dreamers, just the possible rescue.   I chose to work, they chose to try.   We each waste our lives as we see fit.   My novice eye saw the same concerns RKoch confirmed, but who cares.    He could be spending his time here, or trapped in front of the TV.   Let him try.   

Mr. Ed

Super Anarchist
Absolutely.   I’d stumbled across a couple SA postings on small boats of interest, but nothing really caught me until the mad Russian drifted for weeks on his San Juan 24.  I’ve been hanging out sense.    I read Hotrod after the fact.  I have no concerns about manifestly unsafe voyages by dreamers, just the possible rescue.   I chose to work, they chose to try.   We each waste our lives as we see fit.   My novice eye saw the same concerns RKoch confirmed, but who cares.    He could be spending his time here, or trapped in front of the TV.   Let him try.   
What a balanced and likeable attitude. I'm afraid I find these accounts rather disturbing, maybe on account of the overtones of mental illness that they often carry: "there (but for the grace of a gene or two), go I".

But I suppose that self-medicating with eccentric boats is more wholesome than doing it with drink and drugs. My own trade has some eccentric and obsessive characters in it, and I always have to remind myself of what they'd be like without the release of their obsession.

dylan winter

Super Anarchist
good phrase there ed

"self medicating with boats" - watch out for the phrase being plundered in a forthcoming KTL movie

Ed Lada

Super Anarchist
Poland
Yes, but these Captain Calamities are for the most part, off the spectrum. In invisible light, some of them.
I think it's a pretty big spectrum, there is room for everyone, even the outright crazy ones.  In the case of this guy, I think he is doing it to so see what happens, if it fails (which is almost a certainty), he will just dry himself off and move on to another project.

RKoch

Super Anarchist
da 'burg
I think it's a pretty big spectrum, there is room for everyone, even the outright crazy ones.  In the case of this guy, I think he is doing it to so see what happens, if it fails (which is almost a certainty), he will just dry himself off and move on to another project.
I'm inclined to agree. This new guy doesn't seem crazy, just misguided. Doesn't seem to be claiming an around the world voyage, begging for donations. Just wants to find out if he can design and build a boat himself. Still, it's a shame he didn't do more research or obtain real plans...that would have saved him time and money and ultimate grief.

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
I think HR's family had to do more than just dry themselves off.

Anywhere but the U.S. coats with it's phenomenal CG coverage they might well have all drowned.

I am not in favour of just letting people get on with dangerously stupid ideas and projects. Sometimes the adults have to step in.

IStream

Super Anarchist

Anywhere but the U.S. coats with it's phenomenal CG coverage they might well have all drowned.

I am not in favour of just letting people get on with dangerously stupid ideas and projects. Sometimes the adults have to step in.
That'll happen when he tries to involve a launch facility. Until then, nobody's getting hurt other than the protagonist. 

I watched the first two videos and couldn't take it anymore. I'm looking forward to hearing how this turns out via the thread.

Ed Lada

Super Anarchist
Poland

I am in favor of freedom of stupidity over a nanny state.  Besides, stupid can help thin the gene pool.  Always look on the bright side mate!  

dylan winter

Super Anarchist
This bloke seems sane compared to the British version

Tom Maclean

getimage.aspx

getimage.aspx

Moby-Prince-of-Whales.jpg

tom-mcclean-body-image-1455212784-size_1000.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: