Another Interesting Home Built Steel Boat

RKoch

Super Anarchist
da 'burg
He's entertaining, What a piece of shit he's building. I hope it doesn't kill anyone, tho I suspect it'll never see the water.

Windward

Super Anarchist
  Buying 100 8 foot 2x4s then cutting them into 5' pieces.  Why oh why did he not think to buy 50 10 footers?  I was willing to cut him him some slack for following his goofy dream but now he's into deforestation.
There is a plan for the remaining 4 ft sections of wood... 

RKoch

Super Anarchist
da 'burg
And an air cooled VW motor as a possibility?  Genius!
I have seen a couple air-cooled inboards (not VW). They can work. They do require a big volume of air, so what you lose in underwater thru-hulls you gain in large air intakes and exhausts on deck (which water can get in). And of course any conversion of a non-marine engine requires a thrust bearing of some sort...that's usually provided with a marine transmission, which also gives you F-N-R in addition to a reduction gear. I did one time see a mobo with a straight 6 and 3-speed trans from a truck, using 2nd gear for forward. It had a thrust bearing on the prop shaft. Worked great for several decades. It also used the steering box from the truck, connecting the pitman arm to the rudder with a long drag link. 

fastyacht

Super Anarchist
As the world turds. That surfboard is a work of fart.
Turecamo Brother's Tugboats were always painted in faux wood grain. By a true artist of that trade. He is now really old and living in Florida, and Turecamo was bought out by McAllister or Moran or somebody and all that paintwork is gone. Even tied to the quay, you could't tell it was fake until you looked at the details of the hinges etc.

But this surfboard? Dog's fucking puked up breakfast.

Last edited by a moderator:

lasal

Super Anarchist
Denver
If that plan is for 4' pieces he's in for a surprise.
Precut studs are an exact length, but regular 2xs have a couple of extra saw kerfs in the length usually.

Thiss antisocial boat builder is using a table saw to cut curves. I'm sure Ryobi makes a dirt cheap jigsaw that would do the job, but heck freehanding a bunch of angles onto a 2x4 takes far longer and looks stupid as hell doing it so there's the win win.

Good thing he took care of the gelcoat crazing on his old Sabot. It's the details that win awards. He's a fine crapsman.

Fah Kiew Tu

Curmudgeon, First Rank
Tasmania, Australia
Precut studs are an exact length, but regular 2xs have a couple of extra saw kerfs in the length usually.

Thiss antisocial boat builder is using a table saw to cut curves. I'm sure Ryobi makes a dirt cheap jigsaw that would do the job, but heck freehanding a bunch of angles onto a 2x4 takes far longer and looks stupid as hell doing it so there's the win win.

Good thing he took care of the gelcoat crazing on his old Sabot. It's the details that win awards. He's a fine crapsman.
There was some comment he made about how a bandsaw would be better but that would have cost him $400 and he wasn't prepared to pay it. I guess he'd shit an entire pallet of bricks if he knew what my USA made Grob Bros bandsaw cost.......

FKT

eric1207

Anarchist
Seattle
Quick look at CL shows several floor stand band saws for ~$200 or less.  Back out the wasted lumber and he'd have a usable saw for ~$50.  After done, sell it and he'd make a "profit" just by using his noggin.  sheesh.  

Ishmael

Fuctifino
If that plan is for 4' pieces he's in for a surprise.

That comment was aimed at the concept of cutting 5' off an 8' board and having 4' left...