Another keel goes astray...French sailor survives 16 hours in an air bubble inside his capsized boat off Spain

Another keel goes astray...

via Devdiscourse.com, Guardian.com

French man survives 16 hours trapped in capsized sailboat in Spain
Rescuers located vessel as sun set but rough seas meant they had to wait until morning to help free man
1659542530053.png
Two divers swam under the boat to help the sailor out, who they found wearing a neoprene survival suit and submerged in water up to his knees. Vicente Cobelo, a member of the coastguard's special operations team, told a local station the man voluntarily jumped into the freezing water and swam under the boat to reach the sea's surface.
1659541512088.png
A 62-year-old French man survived for 16 hours in an air bubble inside his capsized sailboat in the Atlantic Ocean before being rescued by Spanish coastguard divers in what they described as an operation "verging on the impossible". The 40-foot (12 metre) sailboat Jeanne SOLO Sailor sent out a distress signal at 20.23h on Monday from 14 miles from the Sisargas Islands off Spain's northwestern Galicia region, the coast guard said. Tracking data show it had set sail from the Portuguese capital of Lisbon on the morning of the previous day.
As a rescue ship carrying five divers set sail, one of three helicopters sent to aid the search located the upturned vessel as the sun went down. A diver was winched onto the ship's hull to seek signs of life and the man inside, who has not been named, responded to his banging on the hull by knocking from inside.
With the sea too rough to attempt a rescue, they attached buoyancy balloons to the ship's hull to prevent it from sinking further and waited until the morning. Two divers swam under the boat to help the sailor out, who they found wearing a neoprene survival suit and submerged in water up to his knees.
1659541581600.png
Vicente Cobelo, a member of the coastguard's special operations team, told a local station the man voluntarily jumped into the freezing water and swam under the boat to reach the sea's surface. "Of his own initiative, he got into the water and freedived out, helped by the divers who had to pull him through because it was difficult for him to get out in his suit," he said.

He was airlifted to safety and taken to hospital for checks but released soon afterwards with no issues.
1659541290743.png

Last edited:

Virgulino Ferreira

Anarchist
Brazil
https://web.facebook.com/caperacingyachts/

Cape Racing Yachts

12 hrs ·
On Monday evening at approximately 20h20 European time, Laurent Camprubi was sailing solo on our Cape 40 V2, #179, Jeanne off the coast off Portugal doing his 1,000nm Route du Rhum qualification. He triggered his emergency beacon after loosing the keel and capsizing. We are extremely relieved that Laurent was rescued by the maritime safety authorities and has been returned to shore.
The yacht is being towed to shore and we expect it to arrive sometime today. We are currently working with the yacht's team to establish what happened. More will follow.

BrightAyes

Professional stylist and aspiring male model? 62? Shit, looks better than most pro sailors at 30. Perhaps he should remain in the salon?

Howler

These kind of things makes one look at an old Swan...
On a Swan there is that thing about falling head first down what looks from the top like a 20 foot ladder from the bridgedeck into the salon. I'll bet in a blow it looks more like 40 feet down.

Everything's a compromise of one sort or another.

Boathavn

Hof & Gammel Dansk - Skål !
One cool cat.

From Heraldo.es:

The shipwreck of a navigator: "I had 30 cm of air but I only thought about living"​

Last Monday, at 8:00 p.m., the Jeanne Solo Sailor capsized 14 miles northwest of the Sisargas Islands, in Malpica (La Coruña), with a single 62-year-old crew member on board, whose whereabouts were unknown.
UPDATED 8/3/2022 AT 7:22 PM
  • MIGUEL ALVAREZ/EPH. LA CORUNA

French navigator: I had 30 centimeters of air but I needed to survive
French navigator: "I had 30 centimeters of air but I needed to survive"MONCHO SOURCES
The French navigator Laurent Camprubi endured sixteen hours in his overturned sailboat with barely "thirty or forty centimeters of air" until the Maritime Rescue team managed to rescue him, in an almost miraculous performance and in which the affected only thought of "surviving" .

Last Monday, at 8:00 p.m., the Jeanne Solo Sailor capsized 14 miles northwest of the Sisargas Islands, in Malpica ( La Coruña ), with a single 62-year-old crew member on board, whose whereabouts were unknown.

" The accident happened in fifteen seconds , in fifteen seconds I was sailing and suddenly, like this -he makes a gesture that indicates that the boat capsized-", he explains in an interview with Efe.
Immediately, this expert navigator activated the emergency beacon and before nightfall he heard the Maritime Rescue helicopter for the first time.
"I thought: 'They know I'm here and they're going to save me'. The problem is that I couldn't get out of the boat, which was full of water, and only had thirty or forty centimeters of air," he summarizes.

French navigator: I had 30 centimeters of air but I needed to survive

A French sailor: "I had 30 centimeters of air but I needed to survive"MONCHO SOURCES
They were hours of maximum anguish for both parties, with the coordination of Salvamento Marítimo and with a life at stake.

"The second time (the helicopter passed) I tried again, but I didn't succeed. The third time, too. Then I realized that I had to survive the night in there, but there was a lot of swell and very little space to survive , but I had to survive for my family. And I knew that I had some fantastic men - in reference to the Salvage personnel - who were going to do an incredible job, "he continues.

At first, the sea conditions did not allow the divers access , but the attempts did not cease until Tuesday noon, sixteen hours later, when they finally gained access to the ship from below and found, still alive, its only crew member.

"And in the morning when we left we hugged each other like a family . My rescuer was as happy as I was. You can't thank them enough for the work they do saving lives," he adds.

Howler

Keel mountings shouldn't be.
I agree in principle, but in reality hardly anyone is willing to incur the weight, performance, and financial penalties of specing a keel that will withstand a collision at speed with a semi-submerged shipping container. Maybe you could get away with it in a heavily built full-keel boat, but hardly anyone reading this site sails those.