Another keel goes astray...French sailor survives 16 hours in an air bubble inside his capsized boat off Spain

billy backstay

Backstay, never bought a suit, never went to Vegas
What should one expect sailing in the ocean amongst half-sunken containers and other objects? Skinny fin with big bulb? Doesn't seem prudent, IMHO......

1659649310022.png

nota

Anarchist
had old cca boats because they were cheap
c-24 cd25 p26 contest 30
cats h18 p18 wharram 31 with alloy f-27 rig sails ect
lots of dinks and days up to a raven
now a presto inspired kat ketch on a trailer

had CBs break but never lost a keel

Greyhound37

Super Anarchist
Annapolis
As a vintage Class 40 owner (#39) Have there been any keels lost in the first 50 or 75 boats? One problem with sailing at 12-15 knots is striking a submerged object. The best boats are going to have issues.
The vintage Class 40's actually have minimalistic accommodations and appear to be robust in construction.
I need a play by play account of how that Class 40 kept his boat upright after losing his keel using his water ballast.

What should one expect sailing in the ocean amongst half-sunken containers and other objects? Skinny fin with big bulb? Doesn't seem prudent, IMHO......

Prudently racing across oceans single handed...... is an oxymoron.

I was advised by a good friend in the USCG two weeks ago, that I was racing an inherently dangerous vessel at insane speed. I could not disagree with him. He meant it as a compliment. We take a great many precautions and are very safety conscious but it is hard to describe what we do as "prudent".

Gardening is prudent.

basketcase

Fuck you second amendment
a long way from home
Prudently racing across oceans single handed...... is an oxymoron.

I was advised by a good friend in the USCG two weeks ago, that I was racing an inherently dangerous vessel at insane speed. I could not disagree with him. He meant it as a compliment. We take a great many precautions and are very safety conscious but it is hard to describe what we do as "prudent".

Gardening is prudent.
Sitting on the couch is pretty dangerous.....

Kududine

Sitting on the couch is pretty dangerous.....
The problem is when you take high risks but expect taxpayers to rescue you when the toy breaks. Sooner or later some poly is going to make a law that boatowners have to pay a special tax to pay for rescue efforts. Then we all will have to pay....even those with slow tubs.

Virgulino Ferreira

Super Anarchist
Brazil
As a vintage Class 40 owner (#39) Have there been any keels lost in the first 50 or 75 boats? One problem with sailing at 12-15 knots is striking a submerged object. The best boats are going to have issues.
The vintage Class 40's actually have minimalistic accommodations and appear to be robust in construction.
I need a play by play account of how that Class 40 kept his boat upright after losing his keel using his water ballast.

Is that you in #39, right behind #54 Dragon when he hit a rock?

vlcsnap-2022-08-05-00h47m15s708.jpg

Swanno

Super Anarchist

View attachment 532456

ouch!

Greyhound37

Super Anarchist
Annapolis

View attachment 532456

Yes that is my boat long before I bought the old girl.
Rail Meat's boat Dragon is now for sale after getting a fresh rig and many other updates. The owner keeps her dialed in.

Latest posts