Another Rave Review Coppercoat

As I have said many times, I wouldn't wish this stuff on an enemy :ROFLMAO:

1669917638865.png

slug zitski

Super Anarchist
worldwide
Yah

that copper coat is handy for fiberglass rib bottoms and hard dinghies
no antifoul mess when you handle the rib , dingy on deck . An occasional scotchbright scrub and is seems to last for years

Alex W

Super Anarchist
Seattle, WA
The article says that picture is from another boat that did the last race. There isn’t a photo of the boat with copper coat.

Max Rockatansky

DILLIGAF?
I’ve been thinking about CC, and doing research. One thing that is certain: careful installation is critical. Another observation I‘ve made is that a lot of pax put home brewed shit on and call it Coppercoat.

My jury, however, is still out.

Thank you @Alex W for that observation, I noticed that after my initial post

slug zitski

Super Anarchist
worldwide
A mate of mine have a small fleet of Bavaria bareboat charter boats ,, all copper coat
They only spend the season in the water … 6 months , then dry stored

The copper coat works perfectly for his boats

The article says that picture is from another boat that did the last race. There isn’t a photo of the boat with copper coat.

Point of clarification: The pictured boat may (or may not) be wearing Coppercoat but it is not Jeremy Bagshaw's current Golden Globe boat. That's my mistake and my apologies for any confusion. However it is a picture from the Yachting Monthly article and the article is specifically about how badly Bagshaw's Coppercoat bottom fouled while he was underway during the race.

slug zitski

Super Anarchist
worldwide
Point of clarification: The pictured boat may (or may not) be wearing Coppercoat but it is not Jeremy Bagshaw's current Golden Globe boat. That's my mistake and my apologies for any confusion. However it is a picture from the Yachting Monthly article and the article is specifically about how badly Bagshaw's Coppercoat bottom fouled while he was underway during the race.
That stuff seems unreliable

Folks are attracted because they think you can stay in the water for years and like magic everything is perfect

That stuff seems unreliable

Folks are attracted because they think you can stay in the water for years and like magic everything is perfect

Well, the manufacturer claims a 10-year lifespan for the product. And since it is essentially an epoxy with copper powder dumped into it, that is undoubtedly true. But if it's 10 years of shitty anti fouling performance, then what's the point?

Max Rockatansky

DILLIGAF?
The point is that if the CC does no worse than any other paint, then the cleaning intervals are the same but haulout frequency is less because you havent scrubbed the damned paint off.

Im fairly disgusted right now. After only 2yr in the Keys, I’m in the middle of a haulout and repaint of what had been good paint. I have talked to a fellow with CC here who has the same fouling rates as I but far fewer haul outs. I’m not winning, as you can see.

slug zitski

Super Anarchist
worldwide
Well, the manufacturer claims a 10-year lifespan for the product. And since it is essentially an epoxy with copper powder dumped into it, that is undoubtedly true. But if it's 10 years of shitty anti fouling performance, then what's the point?
My take is that if the copper coat antifoul was the best ..production boat builders would apply it to new builds

Mr. Funky

slug zitski

Super Anarchist
worldwide
The difference between the painted and the "grown" waterline gives a hint about weight distribution 😁
Goose barnacles are particularly tenacious and fast growing

it would be unusual to complete a tropical ocean passage without picking up afew of those troublemakers

boot top and counter are impossible to protect..I’ve tried all sorts of secret potions

they tell me that copper coat is useful for the hydrovane. Self steering rudder

UserError

England
Seems to be YMMV. Boats at our club do very well with it. This one was done a good while ago. Admittedly, we don't have goose barnacles, but the small blighters are pretty prolific.

IMG_20220429_173754.jpg

IMG_20211106_134955.jpg

slug zitski

Super Anarchist
worldwide
Seems to be YMMV. Boats at our club do very well with it. This one was done a good while ago. Admittedly, we don't have goose barnacles, but the small blighters are pretty prolific.

View attachment 560980

View attachment 560981
Perhaps your water is a bit brackish

seems that copper coat either works or it doesn’t

possible applicator error , possible operator error or regional water conditions

its a mystery