Antigua Race Week 2017

NORBowGirl

Super Anarchist
Any other SA'ers going? Any recommendations, tips, etc? Never been to the caribbean before....

Haligonian Winterr

Super Anarchist
Halifax, NS
Sea Breeze for breakfast, Flatties for supper, Lime for afters, there are many nice beaches if you can get out of the immediate Falmouth area, and Nelson's is worth a walk around.

HW

overdraft

Anarchist
bring sunscreen... drink lots of water...

local beer is Wadadli

Pigeon beach is worth the walk to get to, then if you go even further there's another beach with better snorkeling

USD works, but East Caribbean Dollars are more convenient... there's an ATM at Nelson's Dockyard that spits out EC.

see you down there!

NORBowGirl

Super Anarchist
bring sunscreen... drink lots of water...

local beer is Wadadli

Pigeon beach is worth the walk to get to, then if you go even further there's another beach with better snorkeling

USD works, but East Caribbean Dollars are more convenient... there's an ATM at Nelson's Dockyard that spits out EC.

see you down there!
Cool, are you also going? Doing the race week? Which boat?

The sun will be a challenge....this body haven't seen sun since October. But SPF 1 million it is :D Look for a tall white (sunburned) woman...

I guess I'll be a stupid tourist and use an ATM at the airport, get huge bills only, and then argue with the taxi driver about change when I get to the yacht club :) I prefer to use a credit card (haven't used cash in months.....actually I don't think I have any), but I guess some cash is practical.

I guess the race week is both fun and serious, and hope to see some celebrities on the water :)

overdraft

Anarchist
ya a bunch of us chartered a J120 called Sunset... we did the 2013 edition also, but thought the 50th anniversary would be a good time to come back!

Antigua isn't as technical as you might hope so cash will definitely help... market vendors won't have credit card machines for instance, plus a lot of the events associated with the week are 'pop up' type things that are pretty casual. obviously sit down restaurants and hotels and whatnot will take plastic, but that's often not where the fun is :)

NORBowGirl

Super Anarchist
ya a bunch of us chartered a J120 called Sunset... we did the 2013 edition also, but thought the 50th anniversary would be a good time to come back!

Antigua isn't as technical as you might hope so cash will definitely help... market vendors won't have credit card machines for instance, plus a lot of the events associated with the week are 'pop up' type things that are pretty casual. obviously sit down restaurants and hotels and whatnot will take plastic, but that's often not where the fun is :)
Good to know, thanks :) I'll be on a Class 40 with Swedish flag, Talanta.

Soley

Super Anarchist
Taxi ride to Falmouth/English harbor is quite a trek. Best idea is to look for sailors on the plane and agree to share a cab.

Immigration takes forever. Keep an eye on your cab partners to make sure nobody gets left behind.

Buy beer for the ride at the airport. Wadadli Gold is pretty good local beer.

Take cash, plenty of it. $100 bills are easy to hide in your bags out the way. Avoid using your card. Lots of places are cash only. Make sure your card provider knows you are in Antigua and exact in and out dates. Antigua had a lot of card fraud problems in the past and is now top of the list for card providers to shut your card down.

Official exchange rate is around 2.7 EC dollars to USD. When you hand locals US cash either make sure they can give you US change back or what they are using for exchange rate.

Most locals try to use 2.4 EC to USD. It acceptable but get closer to 2.7. Never accept 2 to 1. They try it on but never give in. Make sure your run low on EC at the end of the week. Difficult to exchange back to USD once in the US.

The English Harbour cash machine always runs out with drunk sailors taking out large amounts.

Make sure you get a real local Roti. They are amazing. Roti Sue is the best although I heard she now has a restaurant there.

Drugs are rampant there, don't be shocked if blatantly offered Coke.

Never walk alone at night there.

Espresso Martinis at Skullduggary Cafe are great as well.

NORBowGirl

Super Anarchist
Taxi ride to Falmouth/English harbor is quite a trek. Best idea is to look for sailors on the plane and agree to share a cab.

Immigration takes forever. Keep an eye on your cab partners to make sure nobody gets left behind.

Buy beer for the ride at the airport. Wadadli Gold is pretty good local beer.

Take cash, plenty of it. $100 bills are easy to hide in your bags out the way. Avoid using your card. Lots of places are cash only. Make sure your card provider knows you are in Antigua and exact in and out dates. Antigua had a lot of card fraud problems in the past and is now top of the list for card providers to shut your card down.

Official exchange rate is around 2.7 EC dollars to USD. When you hand locals US cash either make sure they can give you US change back or what they are using for exchange rate.

Most locals try to use 2.4 EC to USD. It acceptable but get closer to 2.7. Never accept 2 to 1. They try it on but never give in. Make sure your run low on EC at the end of the week. Difficult to exchange back to USD once in the US.

The English Harbour cash machine always runs out with drunk sailors taking out large amounts.

Make sure you get a real local Roti. They are amazing. Roti Sue is the best although I heard she now has a restaurant there.

Drugs are rampant there, don't be shocked if blatantly offered Coke.

Never walk alone at night there.

Espresso Martinis at Skullduggary Cafe are great as well.
Nice tips, thanks! I won't be bringing any USD....my stopover is Toronto and I expect to only need a credit card there. So ATM at Antigua airport it is. I will for sure look for sailors on the plane. Haha, I remember when I went to Australia I told another sailor to look for me, tall and blond. Then a Swedish female volleyball team entered the plane. What are the odds?!?!?! Anyway, I was found due to my sailor-looking luggage.

Hm, ok. I guess I won't be moving around without big tough male sailors much, but nice to be careful I guess. If somebody robs us, is it best to just give them our things, or can we attack? (kidding... :) )

Now I really look forward to the sailing! Hoping for nice tropical winds :)

Soley

Super Anarchist
OK so the Caribbean is essentially third world. While I love it, life can get difficult quickly.

Work out you budget for the week, double it. Go to the bank before you fly and take out that amount in USD.

I understand you are in Canada. Then go to the money echange and get the USD. Make sure you get at least 50% of your cash in $20 bills.

Everyone there takes USD generally they give you EC in change. If you want some EC to spend, do it with a local from your supply of USD and negotiate the rate.

Most local shops will swap your USD to EC especially towards the end of the day.

Don't rely on local cash machines at all. Once you land, forget you have credit cards, cash rules.

When out at night I didn't mean you had to walk with big tough sailors but just don't walk on your own.

Take only enough cash for your night out and leave the rest and your wallet hidden in your hotel room. (I recommend in dirty clothes). Wear a cheap watch and cheap jewelry.

Also make sure you have travel health coverage. It gets expensive down there for more than a broken finger.

NORBowGirl

Super Anarchist
OK so the Caribbean is essentially third world. While I love it, life can get difficult quickly.

Work out you budget for the week, double it. Go to the bank before you fly and take out that amount in USD.

I understand you are in Canada. Then go to the money echange and get the USD. Make sure you get at least 50% of your cash in $20 bills.

Everyone there takes USD generally they give you EC in change. If you want some EC to spend, do it with a local from your supply of USD and negotiate the rate.

Most local shops will swap your USD to EC especially towards the end of the day.

Don't rely on local cash machines at all. Once you land, forget you have credit cards, cash rules.

When out at night I didn't mean you had to walk with big tough sailors but just don't walk on your own.

Take only enough cash for your night out and leave the rest and your wallet hidden in your hotel room. (I recommend in dirty clothes). Wear a cheap watch and cheap jewelry.

Also make sure you have travel health coverage. It gets expensive down there for more than a broken finger.
I also love third world, just have to get in the mode (not wearing any jewlery and only robbery cash) and then everything is OK :) I'm not in Canada, just for a stopover. But do you recommend to get some USD also from the ATM in Antigua, or just carib dollars?

Soley

Super Anarchist

I also love third world, just have to get in the mode (not wearing any jewlery and only robbery cash) and then everything is OK :) I'm not in Canada, just for a stopover. But do you recommend to get some USD also from the ATM in Antigua, or just carib dollars?
I hope you're taking the piss.

If not, use no cash machine in Antigua. Get all USD before you leave. Down there its called EC (eeesee), calling it Caribbean Dollars just waves the tourist flag higher.

Last edited by a moderator:

NORBowGirl

Super Anarchist
I hope you're taking the piss.

If not, use no cash machine in Antigua. Get all USD before you leave. Down there its called EC (eeesee), calling it Caribbean Dollars just waves the tourist flag higher.
I'll take it eeeeesee :)

(I'll look like a tourist anyway)

Last edited by a moderator:

MFKEC

chicago
It's pretty easy to tell what's shady and what's not regarding financial transactions, but I guess that does get harder to discern during alcohol consumption.The rest of this thread contains great advice. Cavalier rum is really good (and really cheap in USD), and an ice-cold Carib may be the best beer you've ever tasted after a long day of racing!

NORBowGirl

Super Anarchist
It's pretty easy to tell what's shady and what's not regarding financial transactions, but I guess that does get harder to discern during alcohol consumption.The rest of this thread contains great advice. Cavalier rum is really good (and really cheap in USD), and an ice-cold Carib may be the best beer you've ever tasted after a long day of racing!
I work in the credit card industry so I'm quite aware of fraud etc. I guess the only financial transactions I'll do during alcohol consumption is to buy more alcohol :)

shaggybaxter

Super Anarchist
Australia

Class 40? Antigua?

I hate you NBG. :ph34r:

Haligonian Winterr

Super Anarchist
Halifax, NS
Good people, well prepped boat, have fun!!

HW