Any Naval Architects out there? I need some Help

Wcyr07

Hey everyone, so I'm hoping theres a few Naval Architects out there who could offer any tips whatsoever on how to become a Naval Architect in the sailing industy. I am a senior in high school in Michigan with a dream to join the industry, but there really isn't much info out on the web on how to really start. I already applied to the University of Michigan for its Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering program and should hear back within the next month. Any tips are welcomed!! Thanks guys

dacapo

Super Anarchist
NY
Hey everyone, so I'm hoping theres a few Naval Architects out there who could offer any tips whatsoever on how to become a Naval Architect in the sailing industy. I am a senior in high school in Michigan with a dream to join the industry, but there really isn't much info out on the web on how to really start. I already applied to the University of Michigan for its Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering program and should hear back within the next month. Any tips are welcomed!! Thanks guys

I'm not a naval architect, but I play one on TV. Why not apply to the US Merchant Marine Academy?? or another Maritime college that has a naval architect degree program?? Internship at a marine design firm??

Step one: Graduate with your NA degreeStep 2: Marry a wealthy woman

or listen to Bob.......... ;)

Wcyr07

Ok first the about the USMMA and the rest of the military academies. I've heard they tend to be much more driven towards freighters, shipping, etc. Basically tin can production which wouldn't be as relavent. Then again I could always do that for awhile and later specialize on the side towards sailing right? The great part about these academies is the lack of tuiton and amazing sailing teams

"I'm not a naval architect, but I play one on TV. Why not apply to the US Merchant Marine Academy?? or another Maritime college that has a naval architect degree program?? Internship at a marine design firm???"
know any of them?

about rich wife... got any daughters guys? haha

There is a gentleman at Farr Design called Russel Bowler, who is one amazing person. If you were to write him an appropriate email, with a well thought out set of questions and what you want to accomplish from the industry and may be able to bring over time, Russ may give you some time. Understand Russ is one of the 'best' in the industry and must be approached by many persons, so tink it thorugh, he is one heck of a person and does give of his time.

Otherwise there is the Southampton program in the UK which is very good...

Just remember it may be easier to get a degree in another industry and make more than enough money to buy your own boats and work with the designers to create what you want! Some very wise guy told me this once upon a time....

Wcyr07

There is a gentleman at Farr Design called Russel Bowler, who is one amazing person. If you were to write him an appropriate email, with a well thought out set of questions and what you want to accomplish from the industry and may be able to bring over time, Russ may give you some time. Understand Russ is one of the 'best' in the industry and must be approached by many persons, so tink it thorugh, he is one heck of a person and does give of his time.
Otherwise there is the Southampton program in the UK which is very good...

Just remember it may be easier to get a degree in another industry and make more than enough money to buy your own boats and work with the designers to create what you want! Some very wise guy told me this once upon a time....
Thank you very much I will definitely email him, that is certainly worth a shot! I've heard of Southampton and while it would be a dream to go overseas my college fund prohibits that but thanks for mentioning it.

billy backstay

Backstay, never bought a suit, never went to Vegas

Ding! Ding! Ding!

Sage advice there. I heard that Brendan Dobroth is now a preacher performing weddings, but also fairs Etchells keels for 10 grand.

kimbottles

Super Anarchist
PNW
MKF Said:

"Just remember it may be easier to get a degree in another industry and make more than enough money to buy your own boats and work with the designers to create what you want! Some very wise guy told me this once upon a time...."

Well,

I am a non graduated alumni of the California Maritime Academy. When I attend the academy (late 1960's) it was all about the commercial shipping industry. Nothing about small craft. Maybe this has changed? In any event:

I later graduated from a California State University with a BS in Accounting and became a CPA...and now I am working with Bob on a sailboat design.

Yes, a degree in another industry might allow you to work with Bob on a sailboat design. (BTW, Bob is a lot of fun to work with on a design project.)

Kim

sschwenk

Anarchist
anacortes
That guy who posted "Bob Perry" has drawn a boat or two in his day, the one I like is "Nightrunner". If you teach him some hotlicks on the keyboards, he might let you intern this summer...

kimbottles

Super Anarchist
PNW
That guy who posted "Bob Perry" has drawn a boat or two in his day, the one I like is "Nightrunner". If you teach him some hotlicks on the keyboards, he might let you intern this summer...
You would probably learn more from Bob in a summer than you would learn spending a full year at a university. After all he only has 5000+ boats built to his designs....

billy backstay

Backstay, never bought a suit, never went to Vegas
You would probably learn more from Bob in a summer than you would learn spending a full year at a university. After all he only has 5000+ boats built to his designs....

+5000

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
Wild:

While I do have a piano in the office I don't play it. I dust it. I have a piano in the office because Gary Mull had a piano in his office. Of course, he could play it.

I play guitar. I also, do not take interns anymore. My remote location makes it a bit awkward and I'm through having interns live at my house. Been there several times.

Besides after one intern went back to the Landing School and told them I "abused" him the fun of the intern thing wore off. I didn't exactly "abuse" him.

The important part of this thread as it applies to ycr is that he should get a degree in a bigger field with more opportunities and have that degree apply to some element of yacht design, i.e. materials engineering, industrial design, mechanical engineering, residential architecture or even big boat naval architecture. It is becoming a very specialized world.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wcyr07

... he should get a degree in a bigger field with more opportunities and have that degree apply to some element of yacht design, i.e. materials engineering, industrial design, mechanical engineering, residential architecture or even big boat naval architecture. It is becoming a very specialized world.
Investigate Webb Institute on Long Island Sound. Your parents will love you for the tuition (zero).

Don't shy away from a program that includes ships. University is all about learning. You will apply all sorts of seemingly random knowledge to your life and career. Those courses outside of some narrow focus are very important, perhaps more important.

I started out down the same path, focused on sailing yacht design. Yet I soon discovered that I enjoyed computer science much more than the engineering using computers. So I've made my career in computer science research, and I buy my boats instead of designing them for others.

But I'm not discouraging you. Here is a good story about Paul Bieker:

http://www.48north.com/may96/bieker.htm

I am designing a boat, my "last" boat. Its a fun process. A couple of builders told me to work on it until it just can't be made simpler, nothing else can be left out. Its getting there. No hurry.
You're right about Webb I suppose I should look more into it. It just seems so daunting considering their highly selective academic standards and I think it would be a stretch for my academic accomplishments thus far. I got a 29 on my ACT and a near perfect score on the math section ( I am retaking it in December) and my overall GPA is around a 3.5 in all honors and AP classes.

Great info, the article was excellent, and I will remember to keep an open mind.

I am now torn between these 3 plans

1. Undergraduate Mechanical engineering or Material Science and Engineering then Graduate school in Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering

2 Undergraduate and Graduate degree in Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering

3. Only Undergraduate degree in Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering

Good luck with your boat!!

BarePoles

Super Anarchist
Los Angeles, CA
Architecture is a difficult profession, marine or other, lots of time involved, zero compensation for your work, yet everyone thinks it's the more glorious job in the world.

I mean come on, it's an f-ing Saturday and I'm pumping CAD in the office. <_< But what do I have to complain about, at least I'm employed......

Good luck!

laserichard

Super Anarchist
bro your still in high school, you definitely dont need to worry about having a concrete "plan" when it comes to your major or graduate school.

i know tons of people that had a solid "plan" at age 17 and got degrees from georgetown, yale, etc. and then at 25 found themselves back at wayne state getting a 2nd undergrad in what they discovered they really want to do- medicine, teaching, business, etc.

your best bet, in my opinion, would be to get the hell outta the great state of michigan.

Wcyr07

bro your still in high school, you definitely dont need to worry about having a concrete "plan" when it comes to your major or graduate school.
i know tons of people that had a solid "plan" at age 17 and got degrees from georgetown, yale, etc. and then at 25 found themselves back at wayne state getting a 2nd undergrad in what they discovered they really want to do- medicine, teaching, business, etc.

your best bet, in my opinion, would be to get the hell outta the great state of michigan.
yeah I must admit, Michigan winters suck.