Any Olson 29 owners?

Drfeelgood

Yes, we use the exact same purchase you are using. We will in rare cases pull it on, on the leeward side so we have a little more on when we tack. I would highly caution putting it on a winch. 

Drfeelgood

I would suggest replacing that old streatchy line with something like dyneema.

B7BA0C32-E4BF-4386-AEB9-0B7E0F211905.jpeg

CaptainRed

I have noticed some of the other Olson 29's do not have the check stays installed.  My 29, #11 it still has these check stays that are located just forward of the cabin hatch.  They are kinda of a pain in the ass and prevent the boom from really swinging fully when going downwind unless I really loosen them and make them completely slack.  I have talked with my rigger,  he says they are there to prevent the mast from pumping up wind, and does not think I should remove them.  I have not noticed mast pumping as a problem due to the fact that going upwind in heavy chop I usually have the back stay on pretty tight.  Seems like the rig sails just fine without them.  How important are these check stays and are they really needed.  Thanks for any info on the importance of the check stays.

I had a ring-ding failure on my Olson 29 two weeks ago, lost the middle stay. Blowing 20+ .  The mast was mighty bendy in the middle, checkstay saved the day.  I'd been thinking about losing them, but not anymore . . . .

Captain Red

Olson 29 Red Pyrate

Lake Murray, SC.

View attachment 302076

CaptainRed

New to me 1986 Olson 29.  Don't know how to tell what hull #.  Had it brought down from Long Island 3 years ago, just got around to getting it on the water. Saw somewhere in a thread it was in California prior to that. Red Hull, hard to miss, Was Red Pepper when it sailed YRALIS.  Think I remember it was named Falchi or something like that in California. Some of what I got from the previous owner was maybe a little disconnected.  Any history on it would be appreciated. 

Over all excellent but I've been working on it three years to make it what I wanted.  Replaced all the wood up front in the Vee Berth with Carbon and Composite, the old wood was cracking and structurally unsound since some owner somewhere drilled 10" holes all over to save some weight.  Reconfigured the rest of the interior so it has wraparound bench seating and a portapottie for the wife.    Did all the usual with replacing and rebedding all the deck hardware around the mast, rewired EVERYTHING, New epoxy barriercoat.   And spent a year designing and installing a boatlift for it so I can drysail it without having to screw with the new trailer I had to have built to get it transported. Trying to finish getting the asymmetrical kite set up, still a little bit more to go with that.   Had a new set of bow rails custom built to accommodate the asymmetrical kite. Always going to be  setup for sailing shorthanded, so I added a tillerpilot T1000.  Makes a huge difference in enjoyment, and I don't have to worry about the wife driving around in circles while I'm tweaking something. 

Still gotta finish the interior cushions, and some paint this spring, but serviceable and racing finally.

Captain Red

Olson 29 Red Pyrate

Lake Murray, SC

Olson29_RedPyrate_2019.jpg

sadug

San Diego
New to me 1986 Olson 29.  Don't know how to tell what hull #.  Had it brought down from Long Island 3 years ago, just got around to getting it on the water. Saw somewhere in a thread it was in California prior to that. Red Hull, hard to miss, Was Red Pepper when it sailed YRALIS.  Think I remember it was named Falchi or something like that in California. Some of what I got from the previous owner was maybe a little disconnected.  Any history on it would be appreciated. 

Over all excellent but I've been working on it three years to make it what I wanted.  Replaced all the wood up front in the Vee Berth with Carbon and Composite, the old wood was cracking and structurally unsound since some owner somewhere drilled 10" holes all over to save some weight.  Reconfigured the rest of the interior so it has wraparound bench seating and a portapottie for the wife.    Did all the usual with replacing and rebedding all the deck hardware around the mast, rewired EVERYTHING, New epoxy barriercoat.   And spent a year designing and installing a boatlift for it so I can drysail it without having to screw with the new trailer I had to have built to get it transported. Trying to finish getting the asymmetrical kite set up, still a little bit more to go with that.   Had a new set of bow rails custom built to accommodate the asymmetrical kite. Always going to be  setup for sailing shorthanded, so I added a tillerpilot T1000.  Makes a huge difference in enjoyment, and I don't have to worry about the wife driving around in circles while I'm tweaking something. 

Still gotta finish the interior cushions, and some paint this spring, but serviceable and racing finally.

Captain Red

Olson 29 Red Pyrate

Lake Murray, SC

View attachment 340480
Rock Star!!!! Great job C.R.

Drfeelgood

Great looking boat Captain Red.

Keep the checkstays and use them to tune the rig upwind.

I will ask around about the history. I think a doctor owned this boat new and raced it around San Francisco and Monterey but I have to check on that.

CaptainRed

Great looking boat Captain Red.

Keep the checkstays and use them to tune the rig upwind.

I will ask around about the history. I think a doctor owned this boat new and raced it around San Francisco and Monterey but I have to check on that.

Did some more checking: 

There was some inquiry on SA about what happened to this boat whebit was FALKE, in a closed thread somewhere from ~three years ago, but I have not found it again despite long time digging.

1986 OLSON 29 Hull #12, PCX29012C686.

Found the Former name of FALKE, USCG registered 2001 in California (They only give you so much).  I got it from Douglaston YC on Long Island.  Previous owner Marc told me he had gotten it as a repo when previous owner defaulted on his bills to the boatyard. Owner was supposed to be angry and had all the sail that he would not part with. Said he found a used set of Olson 29 sails in Maryland, but it has a Like new set of Quantums, . Story doesn't quite seem to fit my inventory.  Has a faded name on the back from New England somewhere, maybe that's where this happened or not, can't be sure of much without corroboration.  Marc renamed it the Red Pepper when racing in YRALIS. 

It looks good from a distance, the clearcoat is starting to peel on the topsides below the toerails, going to redo that this spring. Hope I can get away with just that instead of Having to redo the Red. I'll post pictures of the interior when I'm done covering the new cushions.(getting real close). Re-configured the interior for comfort and storage. Got rid of all the wood that was practical. Planning on having the Only Olson 29 you can actually be comfortable in belowdecks. My wife would not sail with a bucket, and if the wife ain't happy, who is going to go get the beer?

Captain Red

B dock

SF bay
Looking forward to some more photos, Captain.  Anybody figure out a way to prevent rainwater from coming down the inside of mast?  It some how to blows into my halyard exits.  Not a ton of water but just kinda annoying. always projects.  I need to replace the original hatch and just upgraded the traveler track and car.  I would love to have a bow rail set up like yours since I use mostly asyms on her. 

Olson 29 9.jpg

CaptainRed

Looking forward to some more photos, Captain.  Anybody figure out a way to prevent rainwater from coming down the inside of mast?  It some how to blows into my halyard exits.  Not a ton of water but just kinda annoying. always projects.  I need to replace the original hatch and just upgraded the traveler track and car.  I would love to have a bow rail set up like yours since I use mostly asyms on her. 

View attachment 340604
Copied the Pyrate's Bow Rails off Scourge.  Fabricated by Railmakers. ~$500 shipped. I have the specs/pattern if anyone wants it.  Probably cheaper since they aren't having to design them this time.  I'm still trying to get my tack point figured out for my furling kite. Fitted it but not flown the new Assym yet. Tack point is Fixed to Bow so I can't adjust the luff tension from below, I did not want a 6 point hit for a pole that would put my PHRF at 93.   Still thinking about how to do a short Hoop that would work without being a sprit.

I really like the inboard on Bolt, I have a 3.5 Nissan that does everything I need but its a PITA to get back there for hanging the OB.  I moved the Battery compartment forward of the Vee Berth to balance out the stern weight of the Outboard, since I knew I was never going to take it off during a race on our inland lake.  Seemed odd to have all that weight hanging on the port side anyway, nothing to counterbalance that kind of weight on starboard.

Captain Red

B dock

SF bay
CR definitely interested in specs and pattern.  Mine is still set up for symmetricals, and the trogear sprit comes off in about 5 minutes if I was to start racing with any conviction.  I think it would be hard for the boat to sail to its rating (99-102) with asym set up off the bow and low crew weight.  A head sail roller furler also limits the head stay adjustability, adds weight aloft, and that impacts its flexibility and trimming potential but ultimately makes its easier to sail, so compromises. I think boat is fastest when sailed under its original design for full crew, no roller furling, and a big mast head sym kite.  That does not mean it still isn't really fun to sail when configured in a different way, just maybe not at its fastest potential.  

CaptainRed

CR definitely interested in specs and pattern.  Mine is still set up for symmetricals, and the trogear sprit comes off in about 5 minutes if I was to start racing with any conviction.  I think it would be hard for the boat to sail to its rating (99-102) with asym set up off the bow and low crew weight.  A head sail roller furler also limits the head stay adjustability, adds weight aloft, and that impacts its flexibility and trimming potential but ultimately makes its easier to sail, so compromises. I think boat is fastest when sailed under its original design for full crew, no roller furling, and a big mast head sym kite.  That does not mean it still isn't really fun to sail when configured in a different way, just maybe not at its fastest potential.  
I'll pull the build sheet for the Rails.  They have me rated 99, gotta push it to 105 with the furler added.If you have pix/info on your sprit I would appreciate it. Don't have a big crew anymore, setting everything up for short crew singlehanding flat water inland lake sailing where the boat lives. That's why I went with the furling kite.  I imagine my autopilot will be the only crew occasionally. Gonna race no spi for spring series @ 105, will give me a chance to work the bugs out.  Not too many bright bulbs on the local pond, I'll be fine til I get better.

RED

B dock

SF bay
I have changed the bobstay to have a 2:1 and make it a bit more adjustable since this photo.  Custom painted white instead clear coat carbon fiber black.

IMG_1946.jpg

IMG_1941.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

jnye

Western LIS
My regular keel boat ride is an Olson 29. Owners upgraded from an Olson 30. Wow I have been with them for about 8 years now! I pretty much have done it all from double handed racing to fully crew to driving to bow. Any specific questions I probably can help.

Great sailing and fun boat!
Upgraded???

Hi there!

Nice to read about the mithic OLSON 29.

Mi name ir Rodrigo, I live in southern Chile by the LLANQUIHUE Lake, where we have our Olson 29, hull number 27, probably the last hull that was builted in California.

I would like to be in contact with other owners worldwide.

Best regards!!!

CaptainRed

Here is the way to determine your production date and hull#

http://www.olson30.org/association/hull-database-submission/
Finally figured out my hull is #12.
Finished the interior refit, new interior to make it like no other O29. Damn its beautiful.
Lots has happened in the last couple years. Knee replacement, Retirement, cancer, arthritis, and the crew went different directions in life.
I beat the cancer, Retirement gives me more sailing time, but that damn arthritis makes it hard to sail.
Hull #12 is available, fairly inexpensive if you don't want the trailer.

Olson 29 interior 1.jpg

Olson 29 interior portside.jpg

Olson 29 interior rearview.jpg

Olson 29 interior Starboard side.jpg

CaptainRed

RED Hulls on the RED PYRATE sailed by Captain RED
All the Interior is done in Red and Black CF over koosa composite.
Mast is Red.
Kite is Red.
Trailer is red.
Boat Shirts are red.
Was a difficult decision on interior color choices.
Captain Red

Talchotali

Capt. Marvel's Wise Friend
Vancouverium BC
Hi there!

Nice to read about the mithic OLSON 29.

Mi name ir Rodrigo, I live in southern Chile by the LLANQUIHUE Lake, where we have our Olson 29, hull number 27, probably the last hull that was builted in California.

I would like to be in contact with other owners worldwide.

Best regards!!!
1670293620638.png

Hi Rodrigo!

Lake Llanquihue is a big lake 860 km2 (330 sq mi)!

It looks very beautiful. That is Mt. Osorno in the background I assume.

Do you know the story of how your Olson 29 got to Chile and to you? Can you share it with us?

Not unusual for production boats to be spread around the world, but usually always an interesting sailboat story how something got from 'A' all the way to 'B'.