Any S2 owners out there?!

PrairieSailor

ND
Not much out there about S2's.  I picked one up last year and hoping to find people to ask questions as they come up.  I'm sailing on a goofy little boat, a 6.8.  Thanks and happy sailing!

PrairieSailor

ND
My companionway is centered, my goofy reference is the non traditional lines.  Sailman-did you have the exciter version 6.8 or the standard shoal? Mine is the shoal draft (no swing keel).  How'd you like yours? Features you enjoyed/didn't like?

Thanks for replies 

There is an S2 Facebook group and, I believe, another S2 group somewhere on the web.

They are strong, well built boats. Some racing circles are still dominated by S2's which are getting a bit elderly now. I am curious why they are raced since they are quite on the heavier end.

1) You will encounter jealousy from owners of lesser boats. Just the way it has always been. I recently had a delusional poster instruct me to chop mine up with a chainsaw. He was apparently lost on the custom keel construction.

2) They hold their value better than most. Throwing money at them is a little less painful for that reason.

Mine sat unused in a slip for eight years. I am going to refinish the hull which has a couple dozen nickel sized blisters. Have to replace a lot of rigging of course. Other than that, it can be sailed right now which I consider a bit remarkable. I have still found no leaks.

Others beg to differ but I find the interior a bit spartan compared to photographs that are proudly shared. Mine needs cleaning of course.

I think the 7.9 was their biggest seller, that is what I have.

The only material that hasn't aged as well as hoped are the stainless "poles" to keep passengers on the boat. Mine have some surface rust. It may also be a thin layer of chrome for all I know.

Are you new to this? Web sailors are, by far, the saltiest group that I have ever encountered by multitudes. Salty is far too kind of a word. Of course there are many gentlemen sprinkled amongst the salty salts. Power boat owners have been reminiscent of Sir Walter Raleigh by comparison....I have three old, small power boats. Be careful about posting. Many newcomer posts are followed up with public blood lettings. I have no idea why, we were all new at some time.

Old boats will rarely return investments. Keep that in mind. Nice thing about older boats is that there exists a solid track record of the various pros and cons of each boat. The smaller manufacturers generally made the better boats.

Last edited by a moderator:
We've had several 7.9s in our weeknight fleet for years.  They sail well and rarely suffer breakdowns.  I don't own one, but as a competitor, I think they're good boats.

PrairieSailor

ND
New to sailing a "bigger" boat. Longtime reader of SA, obviously new poster.  Thanks for your take on S2's and chiming in.  I'm not worried about the keyboard pirates, I've read enough on the forums to know what to expect.  

Hoping to hear from another 6.8 shoal draft owner and hear more about the performance of this flat sailing cruiser. 

Have a good one!

Good boats, and the 7.9 is a hoot to race and cruise. A word of caution on the offset companionways: They work great, but you must have the boards in for anything over five knots. A round up or broach with the offset companionway opening on the low side  can quickly sink the boat.

JohnnyG

Hey softdown,

You mentioned in another thread that you're above average height. As someone of similar size, who's looking to buy a 7.9, I was hoping you might comment on how well you fit in the bunk(s) - or not?

Thanks

SHNOOL

NE PA
I'm 6'1" tall, slept like a baby in the V berth... both quarter berths were Ok as well tighter but doable.... The mind-numbing part of the boat is the 5'8" max height below Just high enough that you feel it could have spared 4 inches.  Just low enough to remind you that its still a small boat (despite its weight).

I owned my S2 7.9 for 2 years... I'm sailing a Schock Wavelength 24 now, prior boats were S2 7.9, Capri 22, and Capri 25.

DarthSailor

Super Anarchist
I'm 6'1" tall, slept like a baby in the V berth... both quarter berths were Ok as well tighter but doable.... The mind-numbing part of the boat is the 5'8" max height below Just high enough that you feel it could have spared 4 inches.  Just low enough to remind you that its still a small boat (despite its weight).

I owned my S2 7.9 for 2 years... I'm sailing a Schock Wavelength 24 now, prior boats were S2 7.9, Capri 22, and Capri 25.
V-Berth or if the mirror is in place "the forward sexual observation room"