Anybody cruising large tris in this place?

Please pardon the pun but I am trying to make contact with owners of cruising trimarans large enough to have standing headroom and be comfortable for extended coastal cruising with a family of 4. 

Last edited by a moderator:

jdazey

Kingston, WA
Have in the past, thinking about it again. There are not many tris of that nature available, so the search takes a fair bit of effort. Commissioning a new build would be an option for some, but as the first slot for a Rapido, for example, is 1st quarter of 2022 delivery with possible and even probable delays, it's beyond our time frame. I think Dragonfly is even longer.  Neels, if that's your taste, seem to be available in good numbers.

Russell Brown

Super Anarchist
Port Townsend WA
There are good homebuilt and custom tri's out there. They don't have the fad thing going that cat's do, so can be much more affordable. If I was looking, I'd look for a Marples design, the 35 or the 44.

fufkin

Super Anarchist
This might be more boat than your looking for, but here's a good tour of a young family's set up for I think mainly Caribbean based cruising...I think they have a blog.

This tri as I recall was an early prototype(?) for what became the Neel 50. They seem to be making it work pretty well.

h20man

Anarchy Organiser
ocean
4 hours ago, fufkin said:

This might be more boat than your looking for, but here's a good tour of a young family's set up for I think mainly Caribbean based cruising...I think they have a blog.

This tri as I recall was an early prototype(?) for what became the Neel 50. They seem to be making it work pretty well.

Supposedly, the owner's wife and kids just flew back to Poland from the Caribbean, and the owner set sail with 5 of his friends across the Atlantic to Poland to do a refit of the boat... 

Max Rockatansky

DILLIGAF?
Don Shuler, Marathon FL, has a Corinthian 42 (I think that’s the make) 305-600-7525 (he is nicknamed “Diesel Don” here and is the local mechanical guru. 

Wess

Super Anarchist
We own a Corsair 36 trimaran and love it.  Just the wife and I though; not a family of 4.  Might be a bit tight for that.  But for the two of us its everything we wanted and nothing we didn't and there sure ain't a catamaran that could punch the ticket this boat does.  I could not more strongly recommend the boat. 

Have seen the Hammerhead and that is a great boat as is a TPI 43 that is local to me.  Neels scare me.  Problem is other than the Corsair 36/37 and the Dragonflys (I don't know those boats well) many of the tris in this size are essentially one offs or even worse home builds.  I would avoid any Farrier that is home built because of insurance issues that seem to be getting more and more challenging for those folks.  By me in the Chesapeake there are lots of examples (cruising trimarans) and all of them have their positive and negatives. 

We own a Corsair 36 trimaran and love it.  Just the wife and I though; not a family of 4.  Might be a bit tight for that.  But for the two of us its everything we wanted and nothing we didn't and there sure ain't a catamaran that could punch the ticket this boat does.  I could not more strongly recommend the boat. 

Have seen the Hammerhead and that is a great boat as is a TPI 43 that is local to me.  Neels scare me.  Problem is other than the Corsair 36/37 and the Dragonflys (I don't know those boats well) many of the tris in this size are essentially one offs or even worse home builds.  I would avoid any Farrier that is home built because of insurance issues that seem to be getting more and more challenging for those folks.  By me in the Chesapeake there are lots of examples (cruising trimarans) and all of them have their positive and negatives. 
Thank you.  I like the flexibility that folding and trailers provide.  Could I PM you and talk off line?

Wess

Super Anarchist
Why? (Just curious, no horse in this race...)
They had some very well documented quality of build problems early on and a friend who chartered one (experienced monohull racer) noted that it was extremely slow. I have not personally sailed on one but even a salesman at the Naps show agreed my  (at the time) F27 would in his words sail circles around it. Seems like a nice charter platform. And for tooling around the Carib maybe it’s all you need. It does have great functionality and well designed mechanical spaces.

Thank you.  I like the flexibility that folding and trailers provide.  Could I PM you and talk off line?
Yea, sure but so it’s clear while the C36 can be trailered (and we did) it’s a big boat and nothing like trailering a small tri like our old F27.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jackett

UK
They had some very well documented quality of build problems early on and a friend who chartered one (experienced monohull racer) noted that it was extremely slow. I have not personally sailed on one but even a salesman at the Naps show agreed my  (at the time) F27 would in his words sail circles around it. Seems like a nice charter platform. And for tooling around the Carib maybe it’s all you need. It does have great functionality and well designed mechanical spaces.
 They seem to do pretty well in the ARC, so must go pretty well off wind (for a loaded up cruising boat) and probably motor up wind as well as most trawlers, with a lot less rolling. So not my cup of tea, or probably a pretty good match for some people's uses (now that they seem to have resolved the build issues)

We are presently circumnavigating in a Farrier F36/39

I am 6'5" tall and my wife 5'8".  I can stand in the main salon, galley, and shower, my wife can stand up everywhere except the aft cabin.

An F31 will sail past us in calm water and we will do a horizon line job on it offshore. In heavily loaded cruising mode, she'll turn in 200 mile days and we've seen one 300+ mile day upwind sailing. 

I would beg to differ with Wess on the issue of 'home builds', ours is better built than any production boat and so was the F9a "Red Shift" . It's all about the builder.

1610727114_DesolationSound2016.JPG

InsideScoop

Buddy, the Patterson 44 ft. tri, is at New England Boatworks getting some rigging work done after sailing north from Culebra.