Anybody ever put starboard in a thickness planer?

Quickstep192

Anarchist
Chesapeake
I need a piece of Starboard 1/8” thick.

I have a piece of 1/4” Starboard and a thickness planer with a helical carbide cutter head.

I don’t care if I mess up the Starboard, but I REALLY don’t want to mess up the planer.

Anybody ever tried this?

DDW

Super Anarchist
I've run a portable planer (Porter Cable with a helical blade) on Starboard without a problem. You may have a problem going to 1/8" thoug - the remaining thickness is going to be floppy and might not feed through the platten and feed rollers of a stationary. I don't think I'd be too worried about the planer.

Rasputin22

Rasputin22
I have thickness milled Starboard but as DDW says 1/8" will be a real challenge due to the floppyness at that thickness. I have had success with Trex but it can have nasty bits of metal bottle caps in it which can be like shrapnel! Wear long sleeved gloves and full face shield if you give it a go!

Gouvernail

Lottsa people don’t know I’m famous
Austin Texas
We have at least four plastics companies in Austin. We haven’t used Starboard Brand in years.

I like to use suppliers who ask me, “What are you going to do with this?” ( I ALWAYS ask my customers that question)
It is amazing how often the supplier sends me off with a much better product than I initially tried to buy
The supplier where I get my generic version stocks many thicknesses. Perhaps you can simply buy some thin sheet, or get advice about an effective substitute which may even be better for your application.

Diarmuid

Super Anarchist
Laramie, WY, USA
I need a piece of Starboard 1/8” thick.

I have a piece of 1/4” Starboard and a thickness planer with a helical carbide cutter head.

I don’t care if I mess up the Starboard, but I REALLY don’t want to mess up the planer.

Anybody ever tried this?
Planed HDPE and UHMW-PE a number of times in my cabinet shop, for complicated reasons. It's fine. Don't try to take it all in one pass. Tends to clog the dust hood with long curlicues. Short sttock wants to swivel inside the planer.

ride2live

Just drill 2 new holes! 25 cents of Marine Tex and 2 minutes of drilling and a bit of sanding and you are done. Compare to fighting with too thin starboard through your planer, measuring and cutting said starboard to the shape you want, sanding the edges, drilling three holes, new fasteners. etc......

sailak

Super Anarchist
AK
I've done HDPE in a planner with mixed results. If it works it looks great but if it catches its a disaster.