Anybody ever seen a 12v Wet/Dry vac that’s worth a damn?

Quickstep192

Anarchist
Chesapeake
I’d love to find a little vac that I could keep on the boat to vac water out of the bilge, but every vac that I see online looks like a POS. 

Anybody ever seen anything decent?

steele

Super Anarchist
Land of the locks
The best option seems to be the rechargeable ones sold by most better tool companies. Not 12V, but they should have enough run time for the bilge several times on a charge. The Milwaukee one has good reviews.

IStream

Super Anarchist
Love the disclaimers. Basically, don't trust a word we say:

* "Tank Size" refers to the actual tank volume, and does not reflect capacity available during operation. ** "Peak Horsepower" is a term used in the wet-dry vac industry for consumer comparison purposes. It does not denote the operational horsepower output of a wet-dry vac, but rather the horsepower output of a motor, including the motor's inertial contribution, achieved in laboratory testing. In actual use, motors do not operate at the peak horsepower shown.

DDW

Super Anarchist
I have the Milwaukee rechargable, it is surprisingly good - surprising is a relative thing, I've tried a large number of battery operated vacuums over many years and very quickly gave up on most of them. The Milwaukee is actually useful. I would not use it to vacuum salt water from the bilge however. That task belongs to the Home Depot BucketHead vacuum. You'll have to run it on an inverter, but it is very cheap, goes on top of a 5 gallon bucket, and they are very difficult to kill. When (if) you do, you are out $20. Being a universal motor you can run it on the absolute cheapest POS inverter you can find. 

Quickstep192

Anarchist
Chesapeake
That task belongs to the Home Depot BucketHead vacuum. You'll have to run it on an inverter, but it is very cheap, goes on top of a 5 gallon bucket, and they are very difficult to kill. Being a universal motor you can run it on the absolute cheapest POS inverter you can find. 
How POS inverter are we talking. Would this one work?

https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DXAEPI140-Power-Inverter-Converter/dp/B06Y549WB9/ref=asc_df_B06Y549WB9/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312158556601&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12944568467046017181&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9007866&hvtargid=pla-435340738509&psc=1

DDW

Super Anarchist
I don't remember what they draw but probably 700 watts so you are gonna need one bigger than that. But it can be a square wave inverter. 

Zonker

Super Anarchist
Canada
The one I posted was 6A. 120V x 6A = 720 W.

Lots of cheaper inverters are rated for "peak power" If they say 700 W they'll do that for a few minutes before overheating. Read their fine print and fine one that is rated for 750W continuous (usually that means the inverter will be nameplated for around 1000 W)

seaker

Maine
I have a 18 volt Ryobi that I like for small projects.  It helps I already have other tools by them so plenty of batteries.   That being said if you have a good sized inverter and battery bank that would be a good way to go. 

Grande Mastere Dreade

Snag's spellchecker
Love the disclaimers. Basically, don't trust a word we say:

* "Tank Size" refers to the actual tank volume, and does not reflect capacity available during operation. ** "Peak Horsepower" is a term used in the wet-dry vac industry for consumer comparison purposes. It does not denote the operational horsepower output of a wet-dry vac, but rather the horsepower output of a motor, including the motor's inertial contribution, achieved in laboratory testing. In actual use, motors do not operate at the peak horsepower shown.
i bought the 12 gal one which is the same motor as the one I posted...  it definitely sucks big time...   the "tank size" thing is why I opted for the 12 gal in the shop...  I'm sure the float limits capacity big time..

penumbra

WLIS (ish)
When you say universal, do you mean 50 or 60hz or both 110 and 220?

We have an EU inverter (EU boat) and a 220/50hz motor would be amazing for us.

I have the Milwaukee rechargable, it is surprisingly good - surprising is a relative thing, I've tried a large number of battery operated vacuums over many years and very quickly gave up on most of them. The Milwaukee is actually useful. I would not use it to vacuum salt water from the bilge however. That task belongs to the Home Depot BucketHead vacuum. You'll have to run it on an inverter, but it is very cheap, goes on top of a 5 gallon bucket, and they are very difficult to kill. When (if) you do, you are out $20. Being a universal motor you can run it on the absolute cheapest POS inverter you can find.