Anyone been to the BVI this season?

cubfan

Trying to get a better handle on the practical logistics and what you can/can’t do these days.

thanks

cubfan

Just wondering if anyone has actually gone through it.

At the moment you have to:

get travel insurance

get negative test 5days before entry

take another test upon arrival

quarantine for 4 days

take another test on day 4

wait for results of 4th day test

then you can get off the boat...

then take another test 72hrs prior to departure to the US...however if you are leaving from STT you don't need another negative test as you will not be flying in from another country.

Trying to figure out how strict people are observing the on board quarantine ie can I drop off garbage, buy a bag of ice etc.  I have had both shots so I am not trying to be disrepectful or be a superspreader, but this seems like a bit much. 

cubfan

I’m more bemused by my country’s rules. How is it safer for the US to allow people to enter via a ferry from Tortola->st thomas->us mainland than a plane? If you want virus security, have good security not porous half-assed security. 

cubfan

Israel Hands

Super Anarchist
coastal NC
Cristoforo said:
Our new president is now allowing thousands of illegal Mexicans ( 'asylum seekers')  to enter the country without Covid testing.  
STT is miniscule by comparison
Got your head in the sand?  Mexico should be keeping Americans from crossing its border. The US's rate of infection is currently near 5 times Mexico's rate.

Israel Hands

Super Anarchist
coastal NC
Cristoforo said:
Yeah, Im sure Mexican rural  coivd testing in  northern Coahuila is among the best in the world and highly accurate.    
Ahhh, you are part of the cult that believes places like that are "shitholes."  There's no fact-based discussion that will change what some people believe.  Roman Catholics were claiming Copernicus's theory was heretical a century after he laid it out. 

Meanwhile, it's the US partygoers who are flying in droves to Cancun who probably present the biggest risk in Mexico.

Cruisin Loser

Super Anarchist
Got your head in the sand?  Mexico should be keeping Americans from crossing its border. The US's rate of infection is currently near 5 times Mexico's rate.
Do you have a cite for that? Because I live near the border, and that does not agree with anything I've read from the CDC or WHO.

Regardless, our country, our borders. It's rude to come without permission. 

Rasputin22

Rasputin22
It's rude to come without permission. 
That's what she said...

thats-what-she-said-funny-memes-12.jpg

https://pin.it/4oj0DoY

Cruisin Loser

Super Anarchist
current rate in Mexico 5.6 per 100,000; US 24 per 100,000

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/world/coronavirus-maps.html
I can't use the interactive map, frozen elections seem to move slowly.

Why do you suppose the CDC currently rates Mexico as Level 4, their highest rate for infection? https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/covid-4/coronavirus-mexico

There may be reporting differences, but regardless, is that an excuse for widespread border violations?

Israel Hands

Super Anarchist
coastal NC
Well, in fairness, Cristafaro made the crossing back on post #8.

Speaking of crossings, a lifetime ago I went to school in central Texas. We'd drive down I-35 to Laredo in an old beater car, park in the HEB lot, and walk across the bridge on our way to the Nuevo Laredo airport and beyond. One thing that struck me back then was the number of people who were actually down in the river bottom, crossing in one direction or another. There was no real border - it was border theater. Reagan was president, and there was talk of amnesty for illegal immigrants. My point isn't to further a political discussion, but to point out that the border hasn't changed. What's changed is our attitudes. It's an interesting time. Most of us won't be here in another 40 years to know, but I'll bet our attitude on borders will have changed again.