Anyone been to the BVI this season?

cubfan

Of course mex has nothing to do with the bvi. But it wouldn’t be SA without a solid thread drift.

love to get this back on track...

Just wondering if anyone has actually gone through it.

At the moment you have to:

get travel insurance

get negative test 5days before entry

take another test upon arrival

quarantine for 4 days

take another test on day 4

wait for results of 4th day test

then you can get off the boat...

then take another test 72hrs prior to departure to the US...however if you are leaving from STT you don't need another negative test as you will not be flying in from another country.

Trying to figure out how strict people are observing the on board quarantine ie can I drop off garbage, buy a bag of ice etc.  I have had both shots so I am not trying to be disrepectful or be a superspreader, but this seems like a bit much. 
Hey CubFan,

I live down here in the BVI and am happy to help with any questions you have. While definitely being a bit of a hassle to get down with the Covid protocols, it is honestly an absolutely incredible time to be in the BVI. 

1.) You have the place completely to yourself. Epic sailing, diving and snorkeling right now. No rush for mooring balls, etc. I literally brought an entire cooler of drinks to The Baths the other day for sunset and didn't see a single other person. Won't probably ever be able to do that again!

2.) Everywhere is open! Well, pretty much everywhere. Saba Rock and BEYC are still rebuilding in the North Sound and Quito's closed for the season but otherwise the classic spots - Foxy's, Soggy Dollar, Willie T, Pirates Bight, Cooper Island, Leverick Bay, everything on Anegada - are all open!

3.) While the protocols have definitely put a massive damper on tourism, they have (so far) achieved their goal of keeping Covid out of the BVI. 0 Active Cases right now and with the current situation in America, we feel pretty lucky down here.

So yeah, basically, I couldn't recommend it enough! Here's a little video of me and a buddy of mine sailing a Hobie Getaway from North Sound, Virgin Gorda to Anegada if you need some inspiration to come visit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lye34hhkfZQ

freewheelin

Anarchist
WLIS
Just wondering if anyone has actually gone through it.

At the moment you have to:

get travel insurance

get negative test 5days before entry

take another test upon arrival

quarantine for 4 days

take another test on day 4

wait for results of 4th day test

then you can get off the boat...
I just got back from a couple months sailing in the USVIs. The whole time, we only saw one boat sailing in BVI waters (of course we were not checking regularly). Could be a cool time to visit the BVIs and see it as a ghost town. That said, despite the time and availability we also never bothered. We talked to other cruisers about it as well - and we all thought about going over and had the time, but no one bothered. In the end, didn't see the point. Without the bar scene, the BVIs don't have the same draw. Do you really want over-priced to-go food? Now I adore the BVIs, so this is not negative towards them. But there are beautiful anchorages all over the USVIs, and you can actually anchor, and things are open. Have you thought about the USVI? By "cubfan" I am guessing you are American.

Not sure if you are chartering or sailing your own boat. If it is your boat, stick to where the services are in the US in case you need to make repairs or provision. Most of the charter companies have brought their boats over to the US if they could strike a deal. Moorings most recently, just a few weeks ago. If you are missing the BVIs, St. John has basically turned into one BVIs with the charter boat mooring balls race. Great people watching if you take it with a grain of salt, and figure that the cat running 7 kts through the mooring field to cut you off and take the ball sideways (and of course run over it) needs that ball more than you do. If you are comfortable anchoring, there are tons of great spots in St Thomas, St. Croix, and the less trampled parts of St. John. It is worth a look. But dealing with the red tape trying to get past the BVI restrictions is not worth the hassle for a short vacation. And the red tape makes sense. BVIs have no where near the same kind of medical facilities and support that the US islands have. Do you really want to add stress to such a fragile system? The USVIs are open, and the island people deal with masks and restrictions seriously. It felt safe to us (who are in our 30s and healthy). The only ones violating the rules were American tourist - and I was disappointed to see several tourist get in arguments with locals because they refused to wear masks. 

PM me if you have any specific questions I can answer about being down there!