Are gas station diesel and marina diesel the same?

Quickstep192

Anarchist
Chesapeake
I'm wondering if it's OK to use gas station diesel in my Yanmar 2YM15. I've read varying reports online. I figure the most educated opinions are here. 

Any information is appreciated. 

Tarnish

Chicago
I think the answer is "it depends". I purchased a boat this summer with a Diesel engine. I had the entire system cleaned out and new filters put in before we launched. I filled up using "bio diesel" from the local gas stations (I am in the midwest). Within a month the engine had trouble related to the filters being full of "snot" as my engine mechanic called it. Had to change the filters and bleed some air out of the system (which may be due to a separate issue). 

This is is sample size of one, but from now I will... 

Not use Biodiesel 

Put in an additive like Star Tron

Keep some extra filters in my storage trailer 

SEC16518

Highway and Off Road Diesel are usually just taxed differently in some states......In NJ pink is off-road and yellow is highway, get caught with pink in your truck and you will be fined.

d'ranger

Super Anarchist
As stated above, yep. In Texas off road has a red dye and is not taxed for road use. In heavy equipment I have run many hundreds of gallons purchased at local stations when couldn't get off road delivered.  Marine diesel (like gas) is usually more expensive because of where you buy it and because you don't have to lug those cans down the dock. Big fines if caught running the red diesel in a vehicle.

edit: Have heard reports of issues with bio diesel, mainly from mixing with normal diesel.

Last edited by a moderator:

LionessRacing

Super Anarchist
Myrtle Beach,
"Bio Diesel" can mean many things. Your source could be recycled french fry grease... 

Any fuel should be multiply filtered, have an inline water separator, and be treated with additives to reduce the growth of algae. 

Adding Cetane boosters, viscosity modifiers (winter use) and "injector cleaner/lube" may be occasionally of use. 

If the fuel sits for prolonged duration, try to keep the tank full and add fresh treatments. 

I've found that "polishing" the contents with a highspeed circulating filtration system is valuable about once a decade or so. 

ryley

Super Anarchist
Boston, MA
Yep. The issue is if you get caught with red diesel in your vehicle, since it's not taxed the same, but green diesel in your boat just usually means you spent too much for it ;) (which unfortunately has been my situation a few times on the Columbia)

As to biodiesel, at least as of around 5 years ago, Yanmar was recommending against it - the engines could take it, but the hoses and seals needed to be replaced with biodiesel-resistant materials.

Edit: just found the spec in the 1gm10 manual, which recommends B7 (93% Diesel, 7% Bio), but then lists a million things that could happen if you do use it. I'll stick with B0 for now.

Not for nothing

Super Anarchist
jupiter
yes for diesel fuels, But don't ever use oil burner "diesel" in an engine , as it's has a coloring and a wax added to it, which will destroy a diesel engine,

I friend years ago tried it in his diesel engine and it seized the engine 

fastyacht

Super Anarchist
Why the hellcyou bought biodiesel lol

On the other hand I knoe multiple Canadian fishermen who rin their Mitsubishis on used frnch fry oil with no problems. And i know of a diesel Daimler that runs on oil. Secret there is a separate tank and always start on 100% pure virgin petroleum diesel

Livia

Super Anarchist
Southern Ocean
Should be just the colour and the tax.

Someone from the UK will post soon. Tax was a big issue for the RYA there a  few years back

In the meantime the diesels in the powerboat run on EN 590 or Jet A1.

Parma

Super Anarchist
here
It's okay; I buy a little auto station diesel dispensed into one of those small 1 gallon gas cans as a good way to thoroughly mix the correct amount of atomizer & fungicide before I top off the tank. I can get all the measurements, have my calculator at the ready and use a turkey baster that way. What's the formula? Let's see, 16 oz per 240 gallons in a 3/4 full 10 liter tank ....carry the 7....

The hard part is that the nozzle may need some finagling (fin nay gull ling) in order to dispense into a small can like that. But worth the effort, IMHO

adrianl

Diesel tax is federal not State - on road highway diesel which is straw yellow and undyed attracts $0.243 per gallon in Federal highway tax.

Off road and marine diesel is dyed red to make it easy to identify if it is found in an on road application.

Marinas here in the NE sell dyed diesel but at a price where the 0.243 tax is included so they make that as margin.

As for bio in  diesel - the ASTM spec for #2 diesel allows 5% bio so it is most likely that you are getting bio regardless of whether you buy at a marina or a gas station.

Home heating oil - which is also dyed red for tax free purposes can have up to 20% bio so not to be recommended in a marine engine.

hokie

San Francisco
Biodiesel is more hygroscopic than normal diesel (fatty acid methyl esters are more polar than alkanes) so that is one reason to avoid in a marine environment. If you see a product called renewable diesel that is fine to use too; it is not the same as biodiesel and chemically identical to petrodiesel. 

Zonker

Super Anarchist
Canada
Home heating oil is #2 diesel? I would have thought it was heavier and less refined.

Buying it at a land diesel gas station pump for a marine engine is fine.

Quickstep192

Anarchist
Chesapeake
It's okay; I buy a little auto station diesel dispensed into one of those small 1 gallon gas cans as a good way to thoroughly mix the correct amount of atomizer & fungicide before I top off the tank. I can get all the measurements, have my calculator at the ready and use a turkey baster that way. What's the formula? Let's see, 16 oz per 240 gallons in a 3/4 full 10 liter tank ....carry the 7....

The hard part is that the nozzle may need some finagling (fin nay gull ling) in order to dispense into a small can like that. But worth the effort, IMHO
Are you saying that auto station diesel has additives that marina diesel doesn’t have?

nirikki

Seattle
Diesel tax is federal not State - on road highway diesel which is straw yellow and undyed attracts $0.243 per gallon in Federal highway tax.

Off road and marine diesel is dyed red to make it easy to identify if it is found in an on road application.

Marinas here in the NE sell dyed diesel but at a price where the 0.243 tax is included so they make that as margin.

As for bio in  diesel - the ASTM spec for #2 diesel allows 5% bio so it is most likely that you are getting bio regardless of whether you buy at a marina or a gas station.

Home heating oil - which is also dyed red for tax free purposes can have up to 20% bio so not to be recommended in a marine engine.
There are both state and federal taxes on road diesel. Dyed diesel is exempt from the Federal taxes and typically either not taxed or taxed at a much lower rate at the state level.

If you ever have to deal with commercial highway vehicles you have to file IFTA (International Fuel Tax Agreement) reports as those taxes are apportioned across the areas you run.

https://www.taxadmin.org/assets/docs/Research/Rates/mf.pdf

El Borracho

Verified User
Pacific Rim
Perusing diesel dealer sites: Taxed and untaxed (red) diesel are identical. Diesel is generally sold as heating oil but heating oil may not meet diesel specifications (rare). Bio-diesel is more hydroscopic which will be problematic for long storage in little-used boats. Shelf life is one year for all products (not the 20+ years sailors expect). Clear diesel is actually colored with a yellow-green dye. They say that clear diesel color will fade to straw as an indicator of age. The feds can detect dyed fuel that has had the dye filtered out, or diluted, using UV light. 

Parma

Super Anarchist
here
Are you saying that auto station diesel has additives that marina diesel doesn’t have?
No, just that there are additives specifically for low use diesel engines like ours: a biocide to prevent growth and an atomizer to prevent water buildup.

Because the ratios are sort of extreme it's easier to mix them at home in the garage and add them to the tank on the boat later prior to topping off.

Latest posts