are the marine police going overboard

dacapo

Super Anarchist
NY
just curious how the marine harbor/town/county/state police are in your neck of the woods?? Here on the Hudson River, it's getting pretty aweful. I was fucking around on my boat today on it's mooring for about 1 hr. and i witnessed 4 boats pulled over for "safety checks" (2 were sailboats and 1 of the power boats wasn't even going anywhere, but drifting) I counted 2 different county sheriffs , 1 state police, 1 town police and 1 coastie all within that same hour. This is a daily occurance. Not because of the holiday weekend.

A friend last week got pulled over 20 min. before the start of a race (and had to bail on the race becasue the cops weren't "finished" with him in time.) nothing wrong on his boat, but he already had a Coast Guard Aux. inspection and was pulled over 3 days prior by a different boat for the same thing. Then I got ashore and read an article in our local boating mag regarding the same thing and how it is putting off boaters from going out becaues they feel like they are being harrased.

How is it near all of you??

by the way...her's the article i was talking about. The writer seems like a pissy powerboater with a political adgenda, but the point is fair enough

My link

Dave

Anarchist
Hampton, VA
We saw a similar situation last week. Two city police boats were sitting in the river pulling over boats 2 by 2. All of the boats I saw pulled over were power boaters (and tickets were being written). I fully expect this July 4th weekend will be the same.

I've seen them pull over more boats this year than all previous years combined and lot more presence (city cops and coasties). Personally, I think some of it has to do with purchasing all these sweet ribs with Homeland Security money and they now want to justify the expense (or write enough tickets to pay for the upkeep on the boats).

You know, if you switch out half the lights for a yellow ones, they would make good matching racing umpire boats. You know, use them for something useful.

U20guy2

Super Anarchist
Consider your self lucky - in CA we just have power boaters and PWC's running every which way drunk - on drugs - clueless under age operators and maybe one water cop on duty busy handling the accidents with no time to do ON THE WATER EDU.

Great Red Shark

Super Anarchist
Honolulu
Which is still better than when the police run you down at high speed in the dark and kill people - but you BETTER have up-to-date flares on board, mister.

"Respect Mah Authoritay !"

damp_freddie

Super Anarchist
Kabul SC
I've seen them pull over more boats this year than all previous years combined and lot more presence (city cops and coasties). Personally, I think some of it has to do with purchasing all these sweet ribs with Homeland Security money and they now want to justify the expense (or write enough tickets to pay for the upkeep on the boats).
In the US of A?

What an frightfully cynical thing to say.......cops finding work to keep their toys and cushy jobs? public money being wasted in the name of fighting terrorism? never....

I like the suggestion of a "peace dividend" giving the ribs to sail sport.

lake dillon, summit county, colorado.

we have one sheriff boat on the lake and one sheriff driving it. he is out everyday, generally keeping the harassment to a minimum and the assistance to a maximum. for example, last race weekend, he came speeding through the fleet on full plane, sirens wailing, lights flashing...to the aid of a fully immersed ensign. no small matter, as the boat was buried to the sheer. full on bathtub action for those left aboard. seems the notorious dillon winds caught the crew off guard to a broaching, chute shrimping end. the po-po and our fleet chase boat responded timely and with a good result, as all were recovered unharmed. he even towed the boat to the launch so that our chase/mark boat could keep watch on the rest of us and continue our starts. said sherriff also stopped by our club to discuss cold water survival expectations early season.

i'm no fan of police action, but no complaints here. sounds like proximity to a major metropolitan area is your biggest problem. on dillon, safety seems the number one concern, not enforcement. its cold, its windy, its variable and imperative that users keep a weather eye. no doubt some revenue tickets are being issued in other parts of the country, however.

And some of them are pretty clueless about the laws too. Last summer I got stopped on Yale Lake in SW Washington. I have a 14' skiff -- everything gets soaked when we're sailing. Mind out there is no motor, no electrical, nothing flammable.

What's the first thing they ask to see? Yes, the fire extinguisher! We looked at them and had to laugh and then they just said , "Well, it would be a good idea anyways." The rules for small boats are much different than powerboats. Given the size, its exempt from just about everything except life jackets. Nice enough guys, just doing their job, but they really didn't have a clue.

Caca Cabeza

Super Anarchist
In my neck of the woods (SJ River Delta) the local constable coordinates with sheriff patrols from 5 other counties to do a 'maximum enforcement' weekend. For fun, they pick a fairly narrow stretch of the river and one boats puts on it's blinky blue light. In California that means 5 M.P.H. (no, not knots) and naturally all of the clueless powerboaters on the other side of the river zoom on by only to be boarded by one of the 8 or so "shark" boats circling nearby. Sure they're looking for BUI's (pretty common) but the real chicken shit part is that CA as a fairly new law that says you have to have a throwable PFD withing reach of the helmsman. If not it something like a $600 fine.

I watched one weekend last summer and there were easily 100 boats boarded and I saw at lease a half dozen guys get hauled off in handcuffs. Pretty brutal.

From my perspective it seems to be a revenue enhancing weekend to justify the cost of their marine unit.

Oh yeah, these multi county roundups are shared both ways so all the delta marine cops get to share the wealth.

jerseyguy

Super Anarchist
My boat is not leaving the slip until Tuesday at the earliest. It is amateur hour weekend. People with large, noisy ass powerboats, stoked on alcohol and who knows what else, trying to impress some bikini-clad (sorry, no pics) bimbo racing past the harbor mouth at 45 knots are just not my taste. Will have an ample supply of adult beverages along with non-alcoholic stuff, some nice finger foods, and just chill out on the boat. Kids will be in town and bring spouse, girlfriend and granddaughter down to watch the fireworks.

Our water cops are part of the county sheriff's department and the guy who heads the unit is a sailor and member of the local yacht club. Doesn't give anyone a pass but also doesn;t screw around with you either.

NyJboat

Super Anarchist
My favorite was when they tried to pull us over for sitting outside the boat while underway. Standard hiking in between the upper and lower life lines. We told him come find us after the race as it was only 1/2 mi to the finish.

Somebody Else

a person of little consequence
PNW
We were having troubles with our Harbor Patrol during Beer Cans and other in-the-harbor races. They were being real dicks and things were going from bad to worse. Then good stuff happened: The Harbor Patrol Captain went through a divorce so her son got arrested for something and this, in turn, caused the captain to get a DUI. Voila! New Harbor Patrol Captain!

First, through direct involvement of the sailing community, we got the Harbor Patrol more money from the city to perform their good services, then we got the Port Captain out on a Mumm 30 trimming main.

Things are a lot better now.

Somebody Else

PNW
Which is still better than when the police run you down at high speed in the dark and kill people - but you BETTER have up-to-date flares on board, mister.
Yeah...

This is sort of recurring theme in California... :(

Somebody Else

PNW
My boat is not leaving the slip until Tuesday at the earliest. It is amateur hour weekend.
In southern California, Amateur Hour is Memorial Day weekend.

Most of the stupid-ass go-fasts haven't been out (or serviced) since, oh... Labor Day, so stale fuel and other maintenance problems guaranty non-stop entertainment. The Sea-Tow and Vessel Assist folks make up their entire annual operating expenses in one weekend!

Regatta Dog

Super Anarchist
My favorite was when they tried to pull us over for sitting outside the boat while underway. Standard hiking in between the upper and lower life lines. We told him come find us after the race as it was only 1/2 mi to the finish.
Same thing up LIS in CT. Got stopped last summer with kids inside the lifelines but with legs hanging out. Against the law designed for powerboats, but applied to the letter. Almost told them to come out on Wed night and wait at the finish with their ticket book.

I've found that since 9/11, the USCG has gotten more communicative and reasonable at the local level. The local water cops (town/state) have gotten huge egos and become kinda difficult. Maybe it's all that Homeland Security money that took them out of Boston Whalers and put them in $250,000 ribs with totally enclosed aluminum wheel houses for six, a fire hose, and a fuel budget paid by Uncle Sam.

Just a theory, but it is amusing listening to a state trooper or town guy recite the rules of the road without a clue as to practicality.

Glad they are out there though. Their simple presence keeps Johny Bag of Donuts from being a complete dick on his way cross-sound for a clam roll.

dacapo

Super Anarchist
NY
Same thing up LIS in CT. Got stopped last summer with kids inside the lifelines but with legs hanging out. Against the law designed for powerboats, but applied to the letter. Almost told them to come out on Wed night and wait at the finish with their ticket book.

I've found that since 9/11, the USCG has gotten more communicative and reasonable at the local level. The local water cops (town/state) have gotten huge egos and become kinda difficult. Maybe it's all that Homeland Security money that took them out of Boston Whalers and put them in $250,000 ribs with totally enclosed aluminum wheel houses for six, a fire hose, and a fuel budget paid by Uncle Sam.

Just a theory, but it is amusing listening to a state trooper or town guy recite the rules of the road without a clue as to practicality.

Glad they are out there though. Their simple presence keeps Johny Bag of Donuts from being a complete dick on his way cross-sound for a clam roll.
Johnny Bag of donuts is mr. popo's best friend.

billy backstay

Backstay, never bought a suit, never went to Vegas
Pisses me off when I see our town cop boat patrolling in a popular harbor in a neighboring town out of their jurisdiction, and on our tax dollar. When queried, the First Selectman said it is part of their "training". I call Bullshit, the cops are just rubbernecking on the publics dime. OTOH, they do a good job of keeping the yahoo "guido boats" from speeding through the harbors no wake area, and they rarely hassle responsible boaters. CT requires you to have a state issued boaters certificate, similar to drivers license. I carry a photocopy of 100 ton USCG ticket instead. Been wanting to have it challenged, but hasn't happened yet... When they started issuing the boaters licenses, DEP told me CG tickets were exempt, but I don't expect officer Obie to know that...
laugh.gif

GMiller

Anarchist
Eastern NC
Had a buddy get a BUI 2 weekends ago. Seems the squirrel patrol was using a weekend festival in our small town as a barrel fishing training exercise. 0100 hrs, taking 3 couples home by water taxi, his 21'CC. A friend who had just left him to walk home passed 2 LEO's using a boom mic to eavesdrop on private conversations along the waterfront. One of his passengers said something to the effect of "hey, gimme another beer" and they were off. Anchored the boat off the docks, performed 30 minutes of field sobriety checks (on the LEO's boat!) before taking him 5 blocks to the magistrates office. All would have been good (admitted to 3 beers in 3 hrs) except my friend took umbrage at being accused of narco abuse. "you nurses are all on Vicodin, where's the Vicodin?" He showed his ass and ended up 'splainin his self to the magistrate. While this is happening, the other LEO brought his boat to shore, tied it up incorrectly to the concrete bulkhead instead of a dock, and left running lights and radio on. The next morning he went to retrieve his boat and had a dead battery, damages, and a ticket from the town for improperly docking.

To my eye, this is abuse under the guise of "just keeping you safe, sir".

My last experience with the Coast Guard had the entire crew laughing as soon as they left. I was anchored at the time with several people swimming. I had just painted my boat. They came up with their boat and asked to do a inspection. I said OK. Do you think they put our fenders. NO. Nice black marks on my new paint job. One of the first things they asked was if I had any boating training. I told them I had a 100t Masters License. They just looked at each other and then asked what that was. Two of my crew quickly jumped in the water to keep from laughing in front of them. I explained to them and they seemed rather sheepest after that. Asked two more questions and left.