Artemis Racing

The Advocate

Super Anarchist
This from their FB page this morning;

https://www.facebook.com/ArtemisRacing

ARTEMIS RACING SIGNS OUTTERIDGE AND JENSEN FOR AC35

Artemis Racing is pleased to announce that Olympic Gold medalists Nathan Outteridge and Iain "Goobs" Jensen are continuing with the team, which is currently preparing its bid for the 35th America’s Cup.

Nathan and Goobs will be once again joining forces with existing sailing team members triple Olympic medalist Iain Percy and legendary grinder Chris Brittle. This combination of sailing talents will serve as the foundation of Artemis Racing on the water and will work closely with designers to develop a winning boat.

“With Iain, Nathan, Goobs and Chris all on board, Artemis Racing has a core of talent and experience that will drive us toward the next Cup,” said Artemis Racing owner Torbjörn Törnqvist. “They have individually and together already achieved very much and I believe in their potential as a team. We look forward to seeing what the 35th America's Cup will bring.”

Nathan served as helmsman and Goobs as wing trimmer in the 34th America's Cup, giving them invaluable experience on AC72s. The pair have sailed together from childhood and have achieved numerous victories, including a Gold Medal in the 49er class in the 2012 Summer Olympics - a feat which they look to repeat during the 2016 Olympics in Rio.

"Torbjörn and Perce are great to work with and are truly passionate about wanting to build a strong, youthful team capable of winning the Cup,” said Nathan. "They fully support our Olympic ambitions and have made it very clear that Goobs and I are the right people to be leading this team."

Added Goobs: "I feel a lot of loyalty towards the people involved with Artemis Racing. Towards the end of the last Cup, we had something very special. We had our backs against the wall, and the shore team, the designers and the sailors were able to work miracles in those last few months. This gives me a lot of confidence going into the next cycle, and I'm very excited to see what will be achieved in the coming years."

Artemis Racing continues to assess the criteria for the next America’s Cup, and is in the meantime building a winning team based on experience, talent and collaboration.

vij

That is fantastic news. Having this boys involved from the start. Just hope that they will go down the right line this time when it comes to boat and wing design.

It is also very nice to see how loyal they are to Torbjörn. I am sure that guys like Nathan and Iain wold be able to select what team they want to be in based on there talent and how they recovered in the last AC. True hero's that deserves a real challenge.

Americas Cup

Super Anarchist
Vij, you are on drugs if you think this failed team is anything but hopeless.

Their design, team, and management were 100% inept and found wanting.

To employ the same idiots to do the same thing is just so myopic that it will end in failure.

Having no one to challenge the team and its managment, process, and systems is just asking for failure.

Also it gives the chokers some one to beat...easily?

SCARECROW

Super Anarchist
Melbourne, Aus
Except the people they are signing all joined the team late in the process so weren't part of the "issue" also its interesting to see talk on their facebook page about a surprise new designer. I'm guessing ETNZ's loss is Artemis's gain.

Brian Weslake

Super Anarchist
To employ the same idiots to do the same thing is just so myopic that it will end in failure.

Having no one to challenge the team and its managment, process, and systems is just asking for failure.
I think you'll find that there are many people from the former team that won't be asked back. The people who are left are all good at what they do.

bcopper

Super Anarchist

The design team and management have both changed in case you hadn't noticed. This team endured the biggest challenge and most difficult times of any team in recent AC history and still made the LVS despite the congenial effort of ET (or was it their bitch LR) to allow them to eliminate themselves by pulling the semi-finals in to a schedule ahead of their launch date, the good sportsmen that they are.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bill R

NZ

Also it gives the chokers some one to beat...easily?
They are only idiots if they haven't learnt anything form the previous event. these same idiots as you call them could if they learn from the mistakes of the past turn out to be a good team.

Perhaps instead of continually slating some teams you could offer your superb skills and advise how they should win the cup. Some positive comments from you would be a change

dogwatch

Super Anarchist
South Coast, UK
^

hook.jpg

~Stingray~~

Super Anarchist
Could be the designer that GD was referring to when he said recently they'd lost just one of them: Thiha 'Winnie' Win.

Schakel

Dayboat sailor
Vsail said:

" Winnie was a key member of BMW Oracle Racing’s design team during their victorious AC33, and was part of Emirates Team New Zealand’s successful AC34."

Well that is a huge contribution to the design team. ??

Trojan Horse.jpg

Or am I getting too paranoia?

Guess Juan Kouyoumdjan knows how to handle this;

http://www.juanyachtdesign.com/

edouard

Super Anarchist
Vsail said:

" Winnie was a key member of BMW Oracle Racing’s design team during their victorious AC33, and was part of Emirates Team New Zealand’s successful AC34."

attachicon.gif
Trojan Horse.jpg

I haven^t read anywhere that JuanK was to be involved in AC35

Schakel

Dayboat sailor
I am not sure about that either,

After last breakage he wasn't very happy I guess.

Vsail said:

attachicon.gif
Trojan Horse.jpg

edouard

Super Anarchist

Vsail said:

attachicon.gif
Trojan Horse.jpg

Or rather Tornquist wasn't happy with him. The breakage was the consequence of a greater problem, namely that coordinating an AC design team is simpy beyond JuanK's abilities.

Schakel

Dayboat sailor
It was his first AC 72,

Juan is world champion in VOR's and Imoca's

Vsail said:

attachicon.gif
Trojan Horse.jpg

Or rather Tornquist wasn't happy with him. The breakage was the consequence of a greater problem, namely that coordinating an AC design team is beyond JuanK's abilities.

edouard

Super Anarchist
It was his first AC 72,

Juan is world champion in VOR's and Imoca's

Vsail said:

attachicon.gif
Trojan Horse.jpg

Or rather Tornquist wasn't happy with him. The breakage was the consequence of a greater problem, namely that coordinating an AC design team is beyond JuanK's abilities.
It was the first AC72 for everyone. As for IMOCA he never was "world champion".

The VOR boats were successful but he always worked in very structured environments for these.

He and his brother have developed a good understanding and good VPP software for "reaching mono hulls". But that's about it.

I guess the reason Tornquist stayed cool (at least publicly) is that he made the mistake of hiring someone who never designed a multihull of any description to head his design team.