Artemis (Sweden)

Artemis Racing looked pretty good on Sunday (& 3rd overall so far in the ACWS) in the strong breeze. Saw what appreared to be an inverted jib batten after the first leeward gate - anybody know for sure what that was and how it happened?

Tornado-Cat

Super Anarchist
Artemis Racing looked pretty good on Sunday (& 3rd overall so far in the ACWS) in the strong breeze. Saw what appreared to be an inverted jib batten after the first leeward gate - anybody know for sure what that was and how it happened?
IIRC, BP said it happens when you ease the jib too much too fast and, as the batten is pretty stiff, the only way to get it off is to bear off.

As for the results of Hutch Sunday I don't agree with you. Quite a fall down for them. Will we see Santiago Lange at the helm next time ?

~Stingray~~

Super Anarchist
^ AR was in second place down leg 4.

You can see it happen within 60 seconds after this starting point:

1:20:15 is where they almost go down the pipe. SCR has a fantastic photo of that moment.

The onboard cam feed was unfortunately on different boats at the time, although you can see a little of it in the background from on board TK. Scroll to the start of leg 5 at the onboard replay, but in the above video they include some from on board AR at 1:21 as a replay, aimed right at the jib.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dixie

Reporters
SF
Probably fortunate for RM/EA that the on-board feed was from different boats. I don't think Terry was finishing any sentences there that didn't have an F bomb in them - or so he said during the after race presser. He also said they tried to tack first to see if that would work to pull it out, but it didn't and they ultimately had to bear way off toward the gate to get it out.

I just hated it for them - not the best week, but lots of room to improve:)

Tornado-Cat

Super Anarchist
Hutch may be a good sailor but such a screamer. Well, I think he is the central reason for the mess. They nearly pitchpoled at the end.

However, good for them they gained 2 places in the last leg.

Not sure they will improve. Bundock is the biggest surprise, IMO, will do way better the next time.

Manfred

Anarchist
North Germany
Walter, if you have a blade jib and one with fully top batten, never ever let go the sheet in a jibe. This mess happened to a lot of us, hopefully only once. Not necessarily TH´s fault. Though he should have given the crew more time. Maybe not enough hands to execute at that very moment. It does not happen when you pull in the jib for the moment. I read somewhere that the AC45´s are short on "cleating" the jib sheets when the G-sail is in use but that might be a misinterpretation by myself.

IIRC, BP said it happens when you ease the jib too much too fast and, as the batten is pretty stiff, the only way to get it off is to bear off.

As for the results of Hutch Sunday I don't agree with you. Quite a fall down for them. Will we see Santiago Lange at the helm next time ?
Like what I said - they are in 3rd place overall in the ACWS.

That's pretty good at this level.

You won't see a change - are you hatin' on the T-man?

maxmini

Super Anarchist
TH got out manuvered at the last min and had to change his plan. The maneuver caught his boys off guard and they screwed the pooch and got a wrap in the jib for their efforts . TH went into scream mode and almost lost the boat . If he pulls that stunt in SF on a 72 they will be picking up parts of the boat on Lombard street.

~Stingray~~

Super Anarchist
Not sure he was outmaneuvered there but maybe the replay link above shows. Iirc from earlier when scanning through it on a laptop then TK was hot on their heels and TH made a sudden decision to go to the left gate (looking downwind) instead of the right so as to avoid the possibilty of having to give room to TK at the right mark; that, or he held starboard to force TK to the right mark, and then turned too suddenly into the gybe onto port?

Maybe it was a combination of miscommunications. The effort they went through to clear it will I'm sure be a lesson learned to other teams who watch that replay..

kiwi_jon

Super Anarchist
Auckland

Like what I said - they are in 3rd place overall in the ACWS.

That's pretty good at this level.

You won't see a change - are you hatin' on the T-man?
They are in 3rd place, 15 points adrift of the leader TNZ (on 55 out of 60 points available), and with 4 other teams snapping at their heels for that 3rd spot.

For the amount of time AR have had on the AC45's compared to those teams snapping at their heels their results are abysmal.

Not sure he was outmaneuvered there but maybe the replay link above shows. Iirc from earlier when scanning through it on a laptop then TK was hot on their heels and TH made a sudden decision to go to the left gate (looking downwind) instead of the right so as to avoid the possibilty of having to give room to TK at the right mark; that, or he held starboard to force TK to the right mark, and then turned too suddenly into the gybe onto port?

Maybe it was a combination of miscommunications. The effort they went through to clear it will I'm sure be a lesson learned to other teams who watch that replay..
Not TH's fault on that jib wrap. The furl was complete before he gybed and the crewman was across to the port side in time to tension the jib sheet for the turn. I'd say clear crew error but the TH haters don't want to hear that. TH continues to be the one of the best at letting the crew know what's coming next in plenty of time to react.

~HHN92~

Super Anarchist

Not TH's fault on that jib wrap. The furl was complete before he gybed and the crewman was across to the port side in time to tension the jib sheet for the turn. I'd say clear crew error but the TH haters don't want to hear that. TH continues to be the one of the best at letting the crew know what's coming next in plenty of time to react.
Better to get it out of their system now than in '13.

Better to get it out of their system now than in '13.
+1

fubaru

Anarchist
Hutch may be a good sailor but such a screamer. Well, I think he is the central reason for the mess...
I had high hopes for Artemis as the only AC team with committed funding that can match Oracle's spending power. Now I worry that TH's leadership could nullify all the design goodness ample funding can buy. Is TH psychologically capable of yielding the helm, as Russell Coutts has done? The French teams' performance in San Diego tells me that multihull experience is easily as important as match racing experience. Aleph and Energy Team were competitive with very little time actually sailing AC45s.

Then I look back to this summer's TP52 series where TH's Quantum team got off to a poor start but managed to come back and win. I don't know what to think at this point.

~Stingray~~

Super Anarchist

The CEO of Challenger of Record Artemis Racing discusses a wide variety of America's Cup topics including Artemis' inquiry into the relationship between Luna Rossa and Emirates Team New Zealand, the value of the AC45 circuit, and how the team will fill out its sailing squad for the AC72

^ PC answering a question on the ETNZ/LR agreement question put to the IJ.

PC: " We're seeking clarification on what is allowed by the Protocol and what isn't. I guess it's fair to say that our understanding of what's allowed is not exactly the same as what is being reported by Grant Dalton in the media. Of course we're not privvy to the actual agreement so there may be a discrepancy there also. So really, we're at a point where we simply have to ask for clarification, and depending on the answers we may adjust our program - as may Oracle or any of the other competitors. We fired it off early, as soon as we became aware of the planned collaboration just in case there is anything they plan to do that maybe isn't allowed; then they could modify the plan without too much of a financial impact - which would be great. We really are happy to have Prada involved, they've been involved for three America's Cups already, they are a great competitor, and certainly we are happy to have more competitors in the America's Cup. But we just need to understand what footing we are all competing on. That's all, it's a clarification." (continues)

~Stingray~~

Super Anarchist
There may be a better thread to park this one in, but some of the subject is similar to the above Artemis interview.

Uploaded by SStreuli on Nov 16, 2011

The Emirates Team New Zealand skipper talks about the AC72, the team's technology-sharing agreement with rival Luna Rossa, and how his team divides up responsibilities on the challenging AC45.

Daimond

Super Anarchist
SF Bay Area
Hutch may be a good sailor but such a screamer. Well, I think he is the central reason for the mess...
I had high hopes for Artemis as the only AC team with committed funding that can match Oracle's spending power. Now I worry that TH's leadership could nullify all the design goodness ample funding can buy. Is TH psychologically capable of yielding the helm, as Russell Coutts has done? The French teams' performance in San Diego tells me that multihull experience is easily as important as match racing experience. Aleph and Energy Team were competitive with very little time actually sailing AC45s.

Then I look back to this summer's TP52 series where TH's Quantum team got off to a poor start but managed to come back and win. I don't know what to think at this point.

Hutch rules in TP52s and Melges 34s. Not so much in multihulls. I could be wrong but I believe he is the only skipper without a lot of multihull pedigree. At his present skill level I can't imagine him at the helm of an AC72 on SF Bay.

Latest posts