Artemis?

Daimond

Super Anarchist
SF Bay Area
Whether this will give them huge amounts of data relevant to the AC72, I do not know, however, it will give them a chance to check out their wing in terms of slowly climbing up the curve of giving it more and more load,so that when the AC72 comes out they hit the ground running.

Anything above that would be an added bonus in my book.

+1

Gotta learn to walk befoe you can run.

~Stingray~~

Super Anarchist
JK is kicking ass in the VOR, do you really suspect he put the chip on the wrong color this time?
You might want to take a look at JuanK's record in non-VOR boats before saying this.
Maybe, but this wing looks fantastic

12_018480_OrmaWing_firstsail.JPG.jpg

http://www.vsail.info/2012/03/15/artemis-racing-debuts-full-scale-ac72/

Last edited by a moderator:

sarpaneva

sarpaneva

From front to back :

Black leading edge + clear, first element. unknown if there's any leading edge twist control in it

then SLOT (visible in the second pic at the dock from the left side)

Dark Grey/Black second element

SLOT (stops at very top element, where it's just a two-section AC45 wing with the first slot, visible in both pictures)

Lighter grey third element

nav

Super Anarchist
From front to back :

Black leading edge + clear, first element. unknown if there's any leading edge twist control in it

then SLOT (visible in the second pic at the dock from the left side)

Dark Grey/Black second element

SLOT (stops at very top element, where it's just a two-section AC45 wing with the first slot, visible in both pictures)

Lighter grey third element
Well I'm not so sure about the top flap being a simple single piece. In Clean's second shot (post #248), I think you will see that it is a two piece flap like the five below.

post-6186-074996800%201331838982_thumb.jpg

I realise that clashes with this as well http://www.cupexperi...garrows-BIG.jpg - but I gotta go with my lie'n eyes
blink.gif

Loose Cannon

Super Anarchist
Planet Earth
I am actually a little surprised at the chord of the first element, the flaps are pretty far back as a % of total chord.

If it is that long chorded, it must be pretty 'fat' Naca 12-ish? The initial image looked like 2 element up top, but I might be on board with Nav here...

nav

Super Anarchist
So will Artemis build 4 hulls of their first AC72, and put a 'slug' in the middle to make one of them a tri? Why not - popping two at once out of a mould is a smart thing to do. Then, two boat testing that no-one else can do bar ETNZ/LR - except in AR case they can share real time data and logging.

Now if they would just test in a decent SF-like location, then my money would be definitely shifting courts.
Do you not think that this Protocol rule would preclude that?

29.3. The acquiring or obtaining of a yacht capable of being measured as an AC72 Yacht withoutsignificant modification shall be deemed to be the acquisition of an AC72 Yacht;
Presumably this is to stop the silly 'oar in the water', 'temporary centre hull' workarounds that we were discussing a few days ago rather than being directed at a bona fide trimaran.

This door seems to have been left wide open for Artemis and others to exploit

nav

Super Anarchist
Hard to find slots in the images we have so far.
First shot post #248, (sorry too dumb to be able to repost it) firstly a great shot of the AC45X and 72 alongside each other and secondly it very clearly show the three elements* and the two slots of the new wing.

Or in Clean's shot above, though the slots are not as clear.

* from right to left:

- the black white black is the main wing spar. It's made in two pieces and joins ½ way up - where you see the white(er) panel

- slot #1

- first flap element, incorporating flap control arms, 6 of these (some see 5)

- slot #2

- 2nd flap element, 6 of these.

Hopefully someone will tell us the proper aero names for all these 'bits'.

Xlot

Super Anarchist
Rome
This one might give you a better view of the slots/gaps.
It does, thanks.

The spar is square (like US17) with a nose fairing and cutouts for top shrouds and backstays. The doubt now is if the second "piece" is a plain flap - but then the gap should be faired over like in ETNZ's SL33. It would seem flaps are solid skinned, wonder where the 38 hydraulic cylinders are.

nav

Super Anarchist
This one might give you a better view of the slots/gaps.
It does, thanks.

The spar is square (like US17) with a nose fairing and cutouts for top shrouds and backstays. The doubt now is if the second "piece" is a plain flap - but then the gap should be faired over like in ETNZ's SL33. It would seem flaps are solid skinned, wonder where the 38 hydraulic cylinders are.
So they are!

Re the hydraulics, does the presence or absence of a 'manta board' indicate anything here?

Latest posts