Ashes 21/22

Tunnel Rat

Super Anarchist
image.png

P_Wop

Super Anarchist
Bay Area, CA
English first class cricket has been lured away from five day Test matches by ODI and T20 sport.  The Test format requires a totally different physical and mental discipline.  That's why it's called a "Test."

Discuss.

P_Wop

Super Anarchist
Bay Area, CA
Fourth Test at the Sydney CG.  Miserable weather forecast, on and off rain for the whole five days.  A possible reprieve for England.

Anyway, Australia won the toss, and quite correctly elected to bat, despite the slow outfield.  Hopefully a start in ten minutes, half an hour late.

Any bets?

Alhadder

Super Anarchist
Left coast of Oz
Fourth Test at the Sydney CG.  Miserable weather forecast, on and off rain for the whole five days.  A possible reprieve for England.

Anyway, Australia won the toss, and quite correctly elected to bat, despite the slow outfield.  Hopefully a start in ten minutes, half an hour late.

Any bets?
One very easy one - England WILL NOT WIN. Australia may not either if the rain sticks around.

Meanwhile in NZ....Bangladesh have done the unthinkable...they've beaten NZ in the 1st Test of their series in NZ...and by 8 wickets

P_Wop

Super Anarchist
Bay Area, CA
One very easy one - England WILL NOT WIN. Australia may not either if the rain sticks around.

Meanwhile in NZ....Bangladesh have done the unthinkable...they've beaten NZ in the 1st Test of their series in NZ...and by 8 wickets
Thanks for putting up this thread, mate.  I'm in California, so the possibilities of watching this live are zero point zero.  But I'm on the cricbuzz.com (by Times Of India of all people) website, where there's ball-by-ball written commentary.  Better than nuffin.

Having both UK and Oz passports (US too) I'm always torn for the Ashes.  But this time I'm truly Australian.  Good to see the 50 up.

Oops, spoke too soon, Warner's gone. 51-1

And yes on Bangladesh.  What an upset - beating the top team on their own patch.  Amazing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alhadder

Super Anarchist
Left coast of Oz
Thanks for putting up this thread, mate.  I'm in California, so the possibilities of watching this live are zero point zero.  But I'm on the cricbuzz.com (by Times Of India of all people) website, where there's ball-by-ball written commentary.  Better than nuffin.

Having both UK and Oz passports (US too) I'm always torn for the Ashes.  But this time I'm truly Australian.  Good to see the 50 up.

No probs.

And Warner got out to his nemesis, Stuart Broad. Unlucky 13th time according to commentary on Cricinfo, which btw is another excellent resource with ball by ball commentary. 

Plus the rain is back  :(

P_Wop

Super Anarchist
Bay Area, CA
OK, prediction time again. 

Despite the continuing interruptions for rain, Australia get to 350 at end of play today, and declare. 

England start tomorrow, lose 3 or 4 key batsmen early, and struggle to 175 all out at the end of day 3. 

Australia make them play on, and skittle them out again for 175 for an innings defeat.  All over in day 4.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alhadder

Super Anarchist
Left coast of Oz

Despite the continuing interruptions for rain, Australia get to 350 at end of play today, and declare. 

England start tomorrow, lose 3 or 4 key batsmen early, and struggle to 175 all out at the end of day 3. 

Australia make them play on, and skittle them out again for 175 for an innings defeat.  All over in day 4.
Australia will not make them follow on. They don't want to bat in the 4th innings. That's why they chose to bat first.

Plus if they enforce follow on then game will finish earlier, which is not good for Cricket Australia or SCG coffers.

Rushman

FIIGS
Melbourne, Aust

Apart from needing a lead of 200+ to enforce the follow on, the rest looks plausible

P_Wop

Super Anarchist
Bay Area, CA
Apart from needing a lead of 200+ to enforce the follow on, the rest looks plausible
Yes, I forgot that 200+ requirement for the follow-on. 

In any event, Australia need to make a good score quite quickly, and skittle out some poms tomorrow and on the last day to avoid a draw because of the weather.

Strategy and tactics, but the weather will dictate a lot of things.  Just like ocean racing!

Grabbler

Grabbler

And yes on Bangladesh.  What an upset - beating the top team on their own patch.  Amazing.
Listen to it live...free...

https://live.cricket.com.au/match/2813/51146/australia-men-vs-england-men-vodafone-mens-ashes-/scorecard?stream=true

Alhadder

Super Anarchist
Left coast of Oz
Aussie tail wagging again, although Khawaja just got out.

Might be good opportunity to post 400 then declare and have 8 or so quick overs at the Poms and knock over a couple of wickets, if the light holds up.

Alhadder

Super Anarchist
Left coast of Oz
OK so we're about to start after an hour and a half delay due to rain.  

90 minutes play before break for lunch, that's if the rain stays away, which it looks ok by the radar atm.

Bring it on.

Latest posts