Aside from being butt ugly...

Airwick

Victoria, BC
Yeah, I don't really "get" the 43's layout but the 47 seems perfect for a couple, with some nice separate accommodations for guests (even if the ama cabins are a bit smaller than on the typical cat the privacy would be nice). Being able to just look up from your bunk and check your surroundings/instruments has to be an unbeatable feature for a long range cruiser! Having all systems easily accessible in one place for inspection/maintenance would also be a huge "quality of life" improvements.

It's unfortunate they seem to be built to a price point where they have to cut some corners and compromise on the materials. It looks like the cabinetry has sharp corners in places you don't want it and untreated plywood exposed in places, etc... It seems like they should be enough of a niche offering that they should still be able to sell well at a higher price...

If they were built to a higher standard (say like Outremer) and save some more weight, they would be really amazing, throw in a daggerboard (and a retractable rudder) as well to bring the draft to a more reasonable number and they would my dream boat!

I actually don't personally mind the look too much, the 51 looks really high (needed to get access to the amas from inside), but I find the 47 to be kind of cool actually. I just don't get why the knuckle on the main hull is way out of the water, that's just wasting waterline for no reason!  

Not that I could afford one at their current price anyway...

Last edited by a moderator:

steelmadesteamer

Latvia
Neel trimarans seem to have some good saloon.  
Neel offers definitely larger living area compared to similar size cat.

IMHO  "habitable m2" is definitely a factor for Neel Buyers. 

Also when seeing exponentially increasing number of various "eco" (mean full electric and sails-free multihulls, LEEN inclusive) coming into real life it will be logical to discover soon many even wider boats -  pentamarans for example - offering "extra m2" living area (plus extra m2 of solar panel ...)  for their prospective Owners.  

Not sails driven boats, but they are already sailing:

0000.jpg

MultiThom

Super Anarchist
Benicia, CA
Yeah, I don't really "get" the 43's layout but the 47 seems perfect for a couple, ...

If they were built to a higher standard (say like Outremer) and save some more weight, they would be really amazing, throw in a daggerboard (and a retractable rudder) as well to bring the draft to a more reasonable number and they would my dream boat!

I actually don't personally mind the look too much,...
They look like a hut on a raft, to me.  I agree, though, the 47 is the right size/layout.  The few sailing videos I've seen seem to indicate it has decent performance in a cruiser and apparently once one of the amas is lifted it can move along at a decent pace.  Tri-condo-maran-ish? Add this to our lexicon.  Wish I could see one in person on the CA coast, it might be prettier in person or after a couple cocktails in the saloon.

MultiThom

Super Anarchist
Benicia, CA
Ran across this video from a year ago showing the 47 in decent wind.  Not what you would call a speed boat but not horrible either for a condotrimaran.  

KC375

Super Anarchist
Northern Hemisphere
It seems Neel is not only ugly on the water but in the courts as well.

Note this site only gives one side of the story as there is no link to the judicial findings but the author offers to provide a copy of the findings to interested parties.

The story of Williwaw Neel 51 is sobering. Six years after taking delivery the voyage of a lifetime is still on hold and the litigation continues.

Last edited by a moderator:

MultiThom

Super Anarchist
Benicia, CA
If I read that right, NEEL should not have issued a declaration of conformity and the owners wouldn't have been able to complain as much--of course, they still would be taking their lives in their hands sailing in the ocean.   Always an issue when a company cuts corners to keep doors open and money flowing...not just boatbuilding.  Buyers can't trust anybody.  Don't think I've owned any boat that didn't have manufacturing defects.  

KC375

Super Anarchist
Northern Hemisphere
If I read that right, NEEL should not have issued a declaration of conformity and the owners wouldn't have been able to complain as much--of course, they still would be taking their lives in their hands sailing in the ocean.   Always an issue when a company cuts corners to keep doors open and money flowing...not just boatbuilding.  Buyers can't trust anybody.  Don't think I've owned any boat that didn't have manufacturing defects.  
In the early 70's I sunk 100% of my networth into a Chestnut Canoe Company 11' 35 lbs Featherweight a thing of beauty in cedar and canvas - not a defect...but yes my other boat purchases not as satisfying in so many ways.

MultiThom

Super Anarchist
Benicia, CA
I was looking at YouTube and a couple weeks ago someone who is following the russian superyachts who are being impounded said that a couple certification agencies decertified those yachts (Lloyds and DNC)--that appears to be a big deal since without the certification, you can't get insurance...and without insurance, you can't get into ports.  So perhaps NEEL didn't have a choice but to issue a declaration of conformity in order for the owner to get insurance...It was an interesting report if you want to have a look.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGYxqpTBzb8

Latest posts