Astronomy Anarchy

mainsheetsister

Super Anarchist
Possible Meteor Storm on May 24.

In the early morning hours of Saturday, May 24, the Earth will pass through the debris field left behind by a small comet known as P/209 LINEAR.

Astronomers are predicting that this interaction may result in a brief but intense burst of meteor activity that could range from dozens to hundreds of meteors per hour.

Nothing is certain, but many mathematical models are predicting that this could be the most intense meteor shower in more than a decade.

This could be bitchin, folks! Make plans to go outside and look up!

mainsheetsister

Super Anarchist
New Moon on May 28.

The Moon will be directly between the Earth and the Sun and will not be visible from Earth.

This phase occurs at 18:40 UTC.

When the Moon is new, it rises at sunrise, is directly overhead at noon, and sets at sunset.

The Moon is not visible from Earth when it is new because the dark side of the Moon faces the Earth.

This is the best time of the month to observe faint objects such as galaxies and star clusters because there is no moonlight to interfere.

mainsheetsister

Super Anarchist
Conjunction of the Moon and Mars on June 7.

The Moon will pass within two degrees of the the planet Mars in the evening sky.

The gibbous moon will be at magnitude -12.2 and Mars will be at magnitude -0.8.

Look for both objects high in the eastern sky just after sunset.

The pair will be visible in the west later in the evening and will remain visible for about 6 hours after sunset.

Headntac

Super Anarchist

The Moon will pass within two degrees of the the planet Mars in the evening sky.

The pair will be visible in the west later in the evening and will remain visible for about 6 hours after sunset.
ya know .....looking at the sky a bit more than usual cause of this info,way cool. Thanks

never eally paid much attention before.

mainsheetsister

Super Anarchist

ya know .....looking at the sky a bit more than usual cause of this info,way cool. Thanks

Best free show in the entire universe!

Go outside. Look up. Often.

I found a letter from your sister I was meant to read in 2006 today. It was tucked up in a book Catherine Mary sent me that I'd already read.

Classic Catherine, not a dry eye in the house here right now.

mainsheetsister

Super Anarchist

I found a letter from your sister I was meant to read in 2006 today. It was tucked up in a book Catherine Mary sent me that I'd already read.

Classic Catherine, not a dry eye in the house here right now.
I've been thinking of her a lot lately. Her 45th birthday is coming up in a few weeks. I'm planning to send the last of her ashes up with some fireworks to mark the occasion. And get drunk, of course.

mainsheetsister

Super Anarchist
Full Moon on June 12-13

The Moon will be directly opposite the Earth from the Sun and will be fully illuminated as seen from Earth.

When the Moon is full, it rises at sunset, is directly overhead at midnight, and sets at sunrise.

This phase occurs at 04:11 UTC.

This full moon was known by early Native American tribes as the Full Strawberry Moon because it signaled the time of year to gather ripening fruit.

It also coincides with the peak of the strawberry harvesting season.

This moon has also been known as the Full Rose Moon and the Full Honey Moon.

mainsheetsister

Super Anarchist
June Solstice on June 21.

The June solstice occurs at 10:51 UTC.

The North Pole of the earth will be tilted toward the Sun, which will have reached its northernmost position in the sky and will be directly over the Tropic of Cancer at 23.44 degrees north latitude.

This is the first day of summer (summer solstice) in the Northern Hemisphere and the first day of winter (winter solstice) in the Southern Hemisphere.

mainsheetsister

Super Anarchist
New Moon on June 27.

The Moon will be directly between the Earth and the Sun and will not be visible from Earth.

This phase occurs at 08:08 UTC.

When the Moon is New, it rises in the east at sunrise, is directly overhead at noon, and sets in the west at sunset.

This is the best time of the month to observe faint objects such as galaxies and star clusters because there is no moonlight to interfere.

Coolerking

LBC
I love this stuff...I spend lots of time in the deserts of the southwest and Baja. great stargazing out here......in fact we were up the San Telmo Rd towards the observatory on Mt Diablo, inland of Pt. Colonet on Baja, a couple of weeks ago ....pitting the Baja 500...good times...

mainsheetsister

Super Anarchist
Full Moon on July 12.

The Moon will be directly opposite the Earth from the Sun and will be fully illuminated as seen from Earth.

This phase occurs at 11:25 UTC.

When the moon is full, it rises at sunset, is directly overhead at midnight, and sets when the sun rises.

This full moon was known by early Native American tribes as the Full Buck Moon because the male buck deer would begin to grow their new antlers at this time of year.

This moon has also been known as the Full Thunder Moon and the Full Hay Moon.

Pete Pollard

Super Anarchist
Okay, as always I appreciate your posts and will look into the significance of the full moon on fishing. However, the note under your avatar mentions you have an interest in sarcasm so I would like to know about the Full Butt Moon....or maybe not.

mainsheetsister

Super Anarchist
Okay, as always I appreciate your posts and will look into the significance of the full moon on fishing. However, the note under your avatar mentions you have an interest in sarcasm so I would like to know about the Full Butt Moon....or maybe not.
I'm sure there are some good spoonerisms in that one...some of you more cunning linguists will come up with something!

Full Moon on July 12.

This phase occurs at 11:25 UTC.

When the moon is full, it rises at sunset, is directly overhead at midnight, and sets when the sun rises.

This full moon was known by early Native American tribes as the Full Buck Moon because the male buck deer would begin to grow their new antlers at this time of year.

This moon has also been known as the Full Thunder Moon and the Full Hay Moon.

watching the moon rise 9pm my time, did any of y'all catch the meteor that came streaking by? out of the east streaking fast, broke into two before it flamed out... just awesome.. very bright white...