Astronomy Anarchy

mainsheetsister

Super Anarchist
24/25 May - Full Moon and Penumbral Lunar Eclipse.

The Moon will be directly opposite the Earth from the Sun and will be fully illuminated as seen from Earth.

This phase occurs at 04:25 UTC on 25 May.

This full moon was known by early Native American tribes as the Full Flower Moon because this was the time of year when spring flowers appeared in abundance.

This moon has also been known as the Full Corn Planting Moon and the Milk Moon.

A penumbral lunar eclipse occurs when the Moon passes through the Earth's partial shadow, or penumbra.

During this type of eclipse the Moon will darken slightly but not completely.

The eclipse will be visible throughout most of North America, South America, western Europe, and western Africa.

mainsheetsister

Super Anarchist
wait for it....wait for it....

On 28 May...

The Conjunction of Venus and Jupiter.

Conjunctions are rare events where two or more objects will appear extremely close together in the night sky.

The two bright planets will be within 1 degree of each other in the evening sky.

The planet Mercury will also will also be visible nearby.

Look to the west near sunset.

That's some cool shit! And for free! Just look up...

mainsheetsister

Super Anarchist
It's not exactly astronomy, more the opposite - photos from the Space Station taken by Chris Hadfield. Some interesting stuff if you are into photography and some beautiful images of earth. The Space Oddity is quite cool as well. He has a decent voice.

http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/blogs/earthmatters/2013/05/14/my-15-favorite-commander-hadfield-photos/
I was following Hadfield on Facebook, where he was posting photos a few times a day.

Kinda sorry that he's back on the planet.....

yowie

Super Anarchist
bris-vegas

On 28 May...

Conjunctions are rare events where two or more objects will appear extremely close together in the night sky.

The two bright planets will be within 1 degree of each other in the evening sky.

I wonder when its going to be in the southern sky?....

And I reckon Hadfield would be as glad as we are sad he's back. At least.

mainsheetsister

Super Anarchist

On 28 May...

Wouldn't the conjunction be visible in the evening sky wherever you are on the planet at whatever time evening happens to be?

gina

Super Anarchist

On 28 May...

Wouldn't the conjunction be visible in the evening sky wherever you are on the planet at whatever time evening happens to be?
IIRC, one's view of the night sky depends upon where they are on the planet, and of course upon how many drinks one has had :p

mainsheetsister

Super Anarchist
8 June

New Moon.

The Moon will be directly between the Earth and the Sun and will not be visible from Earth. This phase occurs at 15:56 UTC. This is the best time of the month to observe faint objects such as galaxies and star clusters because there is no moonlight to interfere.

mainsheetsister

Super Anarchist
June 12

Mercury at Greatest Eastern Elongation.

The planet Mercury will be at its furthest angle from the Sun, known as greatest elongation.

It will be at its highest point in the night sky after sunset.

This is the best time to try to view Mercury since it stays so close to the Sun and doesn't usually climb very high above the horizon.

Charlie Foxtrot

Super Anarchist
Floriduh
ijix.jpg

In honor of MSG and MSS, we should all go super bat shit crazy.

Last edited by a moderator: