Astronomy Anarchy

βhyde

Super Anarchist
Beside Myself
Just in case anyone wants to get a little more "hands on" with their astronomy, I have a pristine 10" Meade LX200GPS (UHTC) scope I would like to find a new home for.

Specs are here https://www.opticsplanet.com/meade-10-lx200gps-telescopes.html

The scope has all the original factory parts, manuals, and shipping containers. In addition to the factory 1.25" eyepiece setup, it has a 2" setup with a super bright 1RPD 30mm eyepiece. Plus a bunch of other stuff (camera t-mounts for Pentax and Nikon, F/6.3 Focal reducer, etc). It also has upgraded collimation screws and low backlash ball bearing focusing. This is a nice piece of equipment.

IMAG0178.jpg IMAG0181.jpg IMAG0186.jpg

If you are interested, or know someone who is, drop me a PM, I have more pics. Prefer a local pickup or drop off near San Francisco since this thing weighs about 100lbs and would be a bitch to ship.

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
Its replacement, the James Webb telescope, is due to be launched in November or December this year.

ABC Science on YouTube

Want more science — plus health, environment, tech and more? Subscribe to our channel.

This telescope will have greater infrared capacity than Hubble, but not as much visual ability.

That means an image of an object like HH-111 would look different than the one above, with even more detail in the dust clouds but less visual definition.

But Dr Tucker says optical images will be picked up eventually by other telescopes on the ground.

"We'll be able to see better in the optical colours than what Hubble can."
The James Webb telescope is to be launched a week from tomorrow.

I haven't followed it so am not sure what is meant by "not as much visual ability." Huh? Haven't all cameras been getting better? I figured my drone probably has a better camera than Hubble.

d'ranger

Super Anarchist
A bit off topic - is anyone else watching "How The Universe Works"? Didn't want to start another thread but will do so to keep this from getting hijacked.  I find it very interesting and the more I watch the less I think I know.  Sign me curious and confused.

Bump-n-Grind

Get off my lawn.
Chesapeake Bay/Vail
A bit off topic - is anyone else watching "How The Universe Works"? Didn't want to start another thread but will do so to keep this from getting hijacked.  I find it very interesting and the more I watch the less I think I know.  Sign me curious and confused.
watched it.. another really good one of the same genre is, I believe a BBC offering, hosted by Brian Cox, called Wonders of the Universe. it's kinda hard to find though. 

and another, on streaming outlet Curiosity Stream, is The Inexplicable Universe. It's a lecture series from Neil DeGrasse Tyson. And a part of The Great Courses series.. some really good stuff in there.

Last edited by a moderator:

valis

Super Anarchist
Friday Harbor, WA
There's a nice planetary alignment happening now, just before sunrise on the USA west coast.  This morning my grandson and I got up at 5AM, and got to see Jupiter, Venus, Mars, Saturn and the Moon, and as a bonus, the ISS flying by the moon.  Here's a cellphone snapshot, while the Space Station was moving away from the Moon.  You may need to look carefully to see Mars and Saturn, but they were pretty visible to the naked eye.

Alignment.jpg

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
the more I watch the less I think I know.  Sign me curious and confused.
#MeToo.

Simply trying to comprehend what those people have figured out is next to impossible.

I get the impression that it requires being able to think in mathematics the way the rest of us think in words.