Asym fit question

2airishuman

The Loyal Opposition
Minneapolis area
My boat is a Tartan 3800. I have come across a hot deal on a J-105 class asym. Seller reports that the luff measures 46' 3" and the foot 26'.

Will this work on my boat, which lacks the J-105's deployable bowsprit? Will it be big enough to be useful?

El Borracho

Verified User
Pacific Rim
Sailboatdata.com sez your forestay is estimated to be 51.75’. So about 5’ short of that crude guess. Kinda goofy but worth playing with. Split the difference between tack and head.

wick

Ontario
On our Niagara 35 we fly an assymetrical from CS33. The forestay length is not quite as much of a delta as Tartan 38 vs J105 (fractional). If it is free or cheap, give it a try. Does it have a sock?

See Level

Working to overcome my inner peace
Without a bow sprit it's going to be rocked into a more vertical position moving the sheet lead further aft for proper shape.
The proper lead position may or may not be possible.
(If it really matters to you for cruising)

SurleySailor

Norwalk CT
We have a few cruising Asyms that are from before I added my sprit (38 footer) and are now short on the hoist. I choose to fly them off the bowsprit because it’s a lot easier than tacking them to the bow on our boat and makes gybing short handed a lot easier. I think you will find that you can easily fly the smaller kite cruising but you run into issues trying to go really deep or sail at the upper end of the range on hotter angles. I’d expect no issues sailing in the 110-140 twa range. Don’t expect to go much deeper than 120ish if it’s light. It won’t be a racing sail.

2airishuman

The Loyal Opposition
Minneapolis area
On our Niagara 35 we fly an assymetrical from CS33. The forestay length is not quite as much of a delta as Tartan 38 vs J105 (fractional). If it is free or cheap, give it a try. Does it have a sock?
$500 and no sock, though it's in good shape. I think I'll pass based on the comments here. Thank you all.