Asymm Furlers which is best

HuronBouy

Anarchist
Canada
This has probably been discussed in the past but thought it was easier to start again then find it.

So Wa'de'ya know??

Overbored

Anarchist
So. Cal
For top down the Harken Reflex is the best for the money, comes with the best torque rope made. no more back twist with their torque rope. all the other brands work if you get a good torque rope but the top of the line torque will cost as much as the whole Harken set up and there torque rope works great.

RImike

Super Anarchist
Newport RI
OP, you have to clarify what you want. Do you want the "best for your money" or best without a budget? A KZ furler with a Future Fibers anti torsion cable will work the best however you better have deep pockets, they aren't cheap.

Cats Rule

Anarchist
What size sail?

Facnor or Pro Furl are best bang for buck up to 2.5tonne Swl, above that Karver is better priced. Used all the three and they all work fine, only flaw is the furling lock on the KF2's can be a bit weak and break if your not careful. Profurl is super simple which is nice.

Avoid Selden like the plauge.

Jury is still out on the Harken until it's had a bit of time under it's belt, looks good and well priced, but I'd wait another year before jumping in there.

MidPack

Super Anarchist
undecided
Is the OP talking about a top down furler (my guess) or a standard furler with a sewn in luff rope? There's a big difference, and the references above seem to bounce between the two types.

Flying-Sail-Furlers-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Overbored

Anarchist
So. Cal
What happens if you use a Code 0 furler for a kite?
Code zero is easy to furl because the luff is attached to the torque rope and is driven by the drum and torque rope along the entire luff length.

If you are furling an Asymm then you would want to use top down furling. Top down requires a tack swivel above the furling drum. The furl is driven by the drum at the bottom of the torque rope and the sail head is attached to the torque rope at the top. any twist in the torque rope will cause problems as the sail will get back twist inside the furled sail and will not unfurl the next time it is used. higher quality torque rope is a must for top down furling.

Now that Harken has come out with the new torque rope the Game has changed and it works so good it will become the standard way to build the rope. the metal braid in the rope has no twist at all during a furl and can even furl with the rope loose unlike all others that need to be very tight to furl correctly.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cats Rule

Anarchist
I worry about any test that says the Selden is best! After any reasonable use the Selden gets worn out very easily, its furling drum is glass/plastic so the teeth get burnt and you have to change up to bigger and bigger furling line over time.

HuronBouy

Anarchist
Canada
It will be used for 1300 sq ft asym.

Can't find a dealer for KZ to price it out. Harken seems to get the press (was not mentioned in PS review above though).

Cats Rule.. the furling lock on a KF only breaks when someone who seems not to know their left from their right pulls on the endless lines the wrong way and breaks off the safety lock.......? We have a kf2 top down with a 90 sqm asymetric. if the people know what they are doing it furls fine buit you do take a drop in height... if they dont know what they are doing then anything can and does happen. It is not the same as furling a jib with a foil and takes a bit of practice.

sonnyboy

Has anybody used the Harken?

I would like to see it compared in a test to the others.

Harken advertising states that an additional tension handling line is required for code sails as it is not designed to accept higher luff loads.

How stretchy is the new rope? Does it matter?

My rigger guy has recommended Selden or Facnor but I do like the look of the Harken. I would like to be convinced!

Latest posts