At my funeral, the song(s) will be....

Autonomous

Turgid Member
PNW
This always brings up an interesting observation for me. We all have this notion of what our funeral should be like after we’re dead. Except we’re gone. We won’t be there to observe. So we have this desire to somehow script and therefore have some control over what will happen as if it would matter somehow to us. Same thing with our ashes. “I want them spread here or there”. As if we’ll somehow like where the ashes are. Is it vanity? Perhaps it’s better left to those who are still alive to decide, after all funerals are actually for the living. As my own sunset is not a specific date but certainly a known time frame……it’s something I think about.
There is the satisfaction of granting a final wish that the survivors can cherish.

Rambler

Super Anarchist
East Coast OZ
For my dads Funeral I chose another of the seekers tunes. 4 years ago next week and I still tear up every time I hear it. Miss you always Dad.

Judith had one of the most perfect singing voices I've ever heard.
Every song means a lot more when she sings it.
Pity the Seekers had a relatively short life as a group, given the quality and popularity of their work

bmiller

Super Anarchist
Buena Vista, Colorado
This always brings up an interesting observation for me. We all have this notion of what our funeral should be like after we’re dead. Except we’re gone. We won’t be there to observe. So we have this desire to somehow script and therefore have some control over what will happen as if it would matter somehow to us. Same thing with our ashes. “I want them spread here or there”. As if we’ll somehow like where the ashes are. Is it vanity? Perhaps it’s better left to those who are still alive to decide, after all funerals are actually for the living. As my own sunset is not a specific date but certainly a known time frame……it’s something I think about.
I've had to deal with this very situation twice this year.

My father died in June, however it was September before we could get all the family members out to Colorado for a memorial. It was wonderful having family together who had not seen each for many years.
The only thing Dad insisted on was not being buried, so he was cremated. The day after the memorial me, my sister and brother drove up to Dad's favorite place on earth, Trappers lake. We got a small cabin, had dinner in the lodge. At dinner we realized it was right at 50 years since we had been together at Trappers.
In the morning we took a small tin of ashes to an area just off a trail that had a panoramic view of the lake. Realized we didn't have a shovel so I used the lug wrench out of my sister's car to dig a small hole. We had a good cry while my sister played Johnny Cash on her phone.

Second time was just a few weeks ago. My wife lost her Mom last year and her step Dad a few years ago. They were living in Escondido CA but wanted to be returned to Colorado.
So when schedules aligned the step sister came back to CO. Her and my wife were definitely sisters, both having a better relationship with step parents then biologic parents.
After going through photo albums we found several photos of the parents camping around Dillon. It was pretty easy for me to get a fix on where they were. So we took both sets of ashes and laid them side by side on a little knoll overlooking the lake with high peaks in the background. The sisters thought it was a perfect place for them.

So yeah, doing stuff like that is for the living.

Last edited:

Willin'

Super Anarchist
The Burg, Maine
This one is appropriate because it was the song playing at the moment I asked my wife to marry me. It's been a very touching and poignant part of our lives ever since, and always gets some raised eyebrows when friends are over celebrating with us.

And this one because it encapsulates my life philosophy...