Atlantic 57

longy

Overlord of Anarchy
San Diego
Just spotted an A 57, pale blue, in San Diego. Twin free standing spars, looked like in boom furling for the sails

Tylo

Sweden
Atlantic 70F "Saphira" by any chance?

1656189969680.png

longy

Overlord of Anarchy
San Diego
Yes, that's it. I only missed by 13 feet. Guess that says alot about the design, 'tho I did think it was a bit bigger than 57 - but those are what I am familiar with

mpenman

Pompano Beach
Yup, A70F. Built at Goetz. Just up the road from Aquidneck Custom.
Good friends of ours. Fire away with questions.
Boom furling. Mandrels are on top of the boom.
Boat is seriously quick under power and sail, although not as quick as our boat ;)

mpenman

Pompano Beach
Is your boat lighter/more S/A or the biplane rig just not as fast??
More tongue in cheek than anything else. I think that they are slightly lighter, but the masts rotate and they're seriously big at the base and the mast bases are also seriously stout. Saphira is seriously quick. We're two feet longer but also a few feet wider, which helps. Peter and Jen are also very experienced and very good sailors. Their boat is in San Diego at the moment.

Our boat speeds are close enough. Most times we're looking to slow down and make things more comfortable. Averaging 12/13 knots is okay, but in lumpy seas can be downright uncomfortable as you will speed up to 15/17 knots in the gusts. Much depends on the point of sail and wave state. Keeping the AWS under 35 is kinda my magic number for safety. For comfort I prefer less than 25.

If they made the oceans flat with consistent 17 knot trade winds, we'd have much higher averages.

The picture above is when they had slab reefing.

Chrisatlantic

Funny thing was I was watching a YouTube the other day and spied Sapphira in the background in a marina in Mexico. First thing i recognized was the CW sheer line and doghouse, second was the pair of masts then the lightbulb switched on and I realized it wasn‘t a 57 it was Sapphira.

Mike, if your boat wasn’t so cool and didn’t look so good I‘d have been giving you a hard time about being just a copycat on what now appears to be the Atlantic 70ish Blue. Oh wait… just did ;-)

mpenman

Pompano Beach
Mike, if your boat wasn’t so cool and didn’t look so good I‘d have been giving you a hard time about being just a copycat on what now appears to be the Atlantic 70ish Blue. Oh wait… just did ;-)
Our blue is totally different. Skylark is blue too, but also totally different.:rolleyes:
Peter gave me just as much crap too. I had to give them something to complain about.
Now come on, ain't our blue just a much better hue :)