Atlantic Crossing on a 23' Star Boat

shaggy

Super Anarchist
Co
Meh, he seems prepared enough.  Boat is obviously not a star anymore, but it is star shaped more or less.  as long as he keeps it keel side down he should be ok.  My german is a little rusty, did he add more ballast?     

Rainier

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmm.  Why?

I could probably convince somebody to kick me square in the nuts but I'm in no hurry to do so....

Last edited by a moderator:

Liquid

NFLTG
Over there
I did the Newport to Bermuda race in 1984 when I was 18 - shitty conditions: 20- 30+ on the nose for a few days after the stream - then not so much wind. return delivery was posh on a single tack with only 4 on board. anyways...

Maybe I'm just old or not as old as the off watch guy below but once dockside I had a long toothed, gray haired veteran tell me 4 things (Dark and Stormies where involved -  clearly):

1: never sail on an ocean, on a boat shorter in length than your years of age

2: If you own the boat never go before the mast.

3: Give buckets to the youngest on board and tell them if you don't bail fast, the boat will sink.

4: The classic "Never step down into a life raft'.

Wise words, me thinks...

Last edited by a moderator:

tane

Anarchist
I did the Newport to Bermuda race in 1984 when I was 18 - shitty conditions: 20- 30+ on the nose for a few days after the stream - then not so much wind. return delivery was posh on a single tack with only 4 on board. anyways...

Maybe I'm just old or not as old as the off watch guy below but once dockside I had a long toothed, gray haired veteran tell me 4 things (Dark and Stormies where involved -  clearly):

1: never sail on an ocean, on a boat shorter in length than your years of age

2: If you own the boat never go before the mast.

3: Give buckets to the youngest on board and tell them if you don't bail fast, the boat will sink.

4: The classic "Never step down into a life raft'.

Wise words, me thinks...
wow Liquid, this is starting to get expensive for me...

kent_island_sailor

Super Anarchist
Kent Island!
Etchells, Stars, and Solings AFAIK can and have been modded into offshore boats. Now crossing in a *standard class legal Star*, THAT would be nuts! This is just cramped.

RKoch

Super Anarchist
da 'burg
TonyFromSheepsheadBay said:
I heard some guys went from Ecuador to Fiji in a balsa raft.  Who gives a shit? 

A wee squall and Star guy would be chum.  Luck is for the stupid. 
The Star had a cut-down rig; enclosed, albeit cramped, cabin;  and a small cockpit. Looked reasonably seaworthy for trade wind crossing.

Latest posts